CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Does it really matter if you have a RH shotgun?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am a lefty. I shoot a lot, usually over a flat a week, some weeks 2 flats. I regularly with a group of guys, 2 of whom are also left-handed. We all shoot RH semi-autos. Of course we all wear good shooting glasses. Nuff said.

617422, I like K guns

~~ "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." ~~

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:08 pm 
Field Grade

I too am left handed and sadly. right eye dominant :( I once owned a Browning BPS which was bottom feed and bottom eject. It was fine but I needed a better all around gun for both turkey and deer. And yes I could have and did buy a rifled barrel to swap out when the time was needed. Circumstances led me to sell the Browning and recently I bought a Mossberg 535 Camo with two barrels (rifled and smooth bore). It ejects the hulls out towards the right but isn't a distraction since I'm right eye dominant and crane my neck so my right eye sights down the barrel leaving nothing available for the hull to distract. It's just more difficult with a scope. I tried using my left eye for sighting in my gun but it's just too difficult and I cannot get used to doing my shooting that way.

gh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:45 pm 
Field Grade

I am left handed and have been so since birth. 60 years old and been shooting since I was 12 or so. I shoot right hand guns. I tried a few leftys and couldn't get used to them. Resale also sucks. I now try to shoot autos with cast on shims. Good luck and always rember left hand people are in their right mind!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:24 pm 
Utility Grade

funny I should read this..I was taking my 11 year old daughter shooting at a new (to me) club for her first outing..I was shooting my Gold hunter, which is RH. I write and shoot LH, everything else I do RH..cause everything is designed for RH persons..no big deal..I've delt w/ it..but the guy working w/ us asked me which eye was dominate..I told him my left...he asked if I could close each eye..I said the only eye I can close is my right..I literally cannot close my left eyelid w/ out using my fingers..this had the instructor stumped..but back on topic..I shoot RH shot guns and M-16s w/ the Air Force and neither one bother me..so if it feels right to you, stay with it..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:03 pm 
Limited Edition

As a left hand shooter the answer is no it doesn't really matter if you use a right hand gun. That said, I generally use left hand or lefty friendly guns.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

My son shoots SCTP tournaments all the time in SC. He does not like an auto because the shells distract him. He is shooting my O/U which is right handed. He has to roll his head over to look down the barrel. He has plateaued in the 80s for youth shoots and 70s for adult shoots. His biggest problem is having to verify his eye position over the barrel because it just does not fit him and sometimes he looses focus on the bird. I am looking now for a left handed stock.