Shotgun Forum banner

What is your fav bird shotgun?

53K views 183 replies 111 participants last post by  CG504 
#1 ·
I am sure this been discussed before but cant find a thread on it. I not looking for what best brand etc, just what you take when you go bird hunting.

What is your favorite upland game shotgun?

I only have 2 shotguns I consider bird guns.

My fav is a cheap Stoger Condor 12 ga O/U 28" bbl.

I prob shot over 5000 rounds throgh it hunting and sporting clays and no problem. I like to buy a 20 ga next year but this one my favorite right now

Looking forward to your replies.

#3 ·
Franchi 48 AL in 20 Gauge w/ 26" barrel and a Benelli Montefeltro 20 Gauge w/ 26" barrel are the 2 I reach for when upland hunting. Both have been outstanding companions in the field and neither have ever let me down. I probably shoot the Benelli just slightly better than the Franchi, but both are game getters.

#4 ·
I use a old Benelli M1 with a short 24" barrel in 12 ga. I have a 28" barrel too that I use for duck hunting, pigeon and crow shooting. Im looking for a 20 ga. M1 right now for rabbits, squirrels and an occational ruffed grouse as well as early wood duck & teal season. Im torn between 24" or 26" barrel for the 20 ga. I will probobly go with the 26" but a 24" would be nice when chasing ruffs.

#11 ·
To me, upland game is the Eastern Bobwhite quail, not pheasant or chuker.
Any of these except the 2nd from Left.

1. Ruger Red Label 20, Fixed IC/Mod
3. Steven 5100 20 ga, Fixed IC/Mod
4. L C Smith Lw Field 12 ga, Fixed IC/Mod

Far Right, a Remington Model 11, 16 Ga Modified. This gun handles really well, especially on quail. The 2 short guns are Youth models and to short for me, while the 870 is my duck gun. The one on the left is an 11-87 Primier that belongs to someone else now.

#19 ·
I think we should all mention the birds that you hunt. The best pheasant gun is not always the best valley quail gun.

I hunt valley/mtn quail aswell as cottontail in the thick stuff. All very easy to kill and short range.

I also hunt the desert for chukar, gambels, and jacks in the wide open.Longer ranges and harder to kill.

Been using the franchi 20 ga 2 3/4 for everything but going to try the 16 gauge in the desert for a little more knockdown.

#24 ·
BigAL33 said:
Hey Jiganator, you have some beautiful shotguns. I love the wood on the 20ga Superposed. Very nice!!!
Thank you Sir, long story behind how I obtained that Superposed 20. Call it my lucky day. It was marked as a used Citori and the tag said $699.00. I knew it was a Superposed but didn't know it was a 1980s limited production from the custom shop. I knew the high grade AAA wood was singling something was special about this Superposed. I bought it so fast, I was like in that Ikea commercial..running for the parking lot yelling START THE CAR, START THE CAR . I spend a lot of time searching the inter-net for gun deals and bidding on guns on online action sites. Most my guns were bought for a song., second thought ALL my guns were bought for a song.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.