CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Browning choke codes..
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:34 pm 
Utility Grade

Great information for all users....thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

I just rescued a 1936 Auto-5 (serial number and proof code both indicate 1936) from a pawn shop, and it has a choke code of "-**" (dash before the asterisks). I found some older codes, which are different from current codes, but this was not listed among them. The barrel serial number matches the gun. The gun does have a Poly Choke and the vent rib also has a Poly Choke inscription. I have been assuming it was aftermarket, but I don't know when Poly Chokes came into being, and I don't know when some were factory installed. I am not concerned with value of the gun - it was cheap and I wanted some experience using a Poly, which I've never done before (although I won't shoot it lots). Just curious about the choke code on the barrel. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:02 am 
Field Grade

Marland:

Quote:
If nothing sticks to teflon then how does teflon stick to the pan?

I can explain that. Teflon's chemical name is polytetrafluoroethylene. Diamagratically, it looks like this:
.F F
.| |
-C-C-
.| |
.F F

...where the C's are carbon atoms, and the F's are (obviously) fluorine. Now if you can imagine, the lower F's simply stick to the metal

_F_F_F_ F etc.
///////////

while your eggs simply slide around on top of the flat part of the upper F's.

Got it?

Glad to help. :D

Post subject: Re: Browning choke codes.. Skeet
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:17 am 
Presentation Grade

The above shows Skeet choking as **$. In the older Superposed, actual Skeet guns with larger skeet forends seem to have little variation in markings. However, in field style guns I have seen and owned guns that are marked $$ (with no stars). Also guns marked **S (with - thru the S rather than vertical as in $). I have always thought the latter to be an indication of "non-factory" work even if they measure correctly. That said, I do understand there was a period where Supers came into country choked M/F and they were "opened" in MO according to demand with some inconsistencies. Any other thoughts on Skeet chokes?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've called the browning historian and specifically asked if they marked skeet barrels with the S and a strike through it. He confirmed that they had. I have some twelvette barrels that were marked as such and was curious if they were factory or after market modificaion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:50 pm 
Utility Grade

I recently purchased a mid-sixties Auto 5. The barrel has two asterisks which normally would lead me to believe it is a modified choke. However, one asterisk looks like it belongs and sits directly in front of the "SPECIAL STEEL" wording and has 8 points. The second asterisk sits to the left of the first and a little lower on the barrel and has only 6 points. I have seen another Auto 5 with two asterisks and they (the two asterisks) were identical so I'm wondering if this barrel started life as a full choke and was modified (as in changed) by someone along the line.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:49 am 
Utility Grade

I'll resurrect this. I have the same markings on a Twelvette barrel, not sure about the # of points though. My question is....are these the asterisks that indicate choke? This is on the right side of my barrel and I read that choke designation asterisks were on the left....

Post subject: Re: re: Browning choke codes..
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

Worc wrote:

Does anyone know where constrictions are available for 16, 28, and 410 invector chokes? Some of the information I have seen is contradictory. Thanks and excuse me if I have overlooked this information in this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:52 pm 
Field Grade

I see IC listed here as **- and on some barrels that looks like a Modified marking of ** plus a dash which looks to be part of the makeup of "- Special Steel -" rather than a part of the choke marking.

Seems it would have been better to have set the dash before the asterisks, as on this gun, which if original indicates more variety in Browning's markings than is generally assumed: