Shotgun Forum banner

Veloce/Diamond Automatic Safety

11K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  clink83 
#1 ·
How can I disable the automatic safety on this gun? Is it difficult and best be left to a gunsmith or is it something that can be accomplished at home by a relatively handy amateur?

Thanks,

Frank

#2 ·
Frank, no actually it's pretty easy so long as it's done by a relatively handy amateur. I recently bought a Veloce and asked the identical question and received a TERRIFIC response by a fine gentleman which even included pictures. The bottomline was as I thought it would be...take off the recoil pad via the two holes in the pad using a medium phillips screwdriver, then place a long extention with attached socket in the stock hole (it's metric) and loosen and take off the retaining nut (which secures to the stock to the receiver). Once you carefully remove the stock you will see the trigger/hammers/sear/safety working mechanisms. If you work the safety back and forth you will see how everything works together. Now it's a matter of moving a portion of the safety (rod) from a block of metal with a slot in it so the safety isn't automatically engaged each and every time the action is opened/closed. The pictures and instructions I received mentioned installing a shim to prevent the rod from not staying in place as it's suppose to. Long story short, I opted to leave mine as is because naturally the warranty would be voided, but I spose more importantly the auto safety IS a wonderful feature, but you just have to get use to taking it off safe before calling for that next clay pigeon. That's what I have learned to do...it's now become part of my on station shooting sequence. I'd be surprised if a professional gunsmith would disable this automatic safety (for liability reasons if not for anything else). Good luck tho'. And unfortunately, I didn't keep a copy of the wonderful pics and instructions I got. BUT, I may suspect you'll get a PM from the same guy that answered my question months ago.

#3 ·
Hmmmm....
I wonder if he means me?

Tap out pin A
Its only function, as far as I can tell, is to engange B to reset the safety each time the action is opened.

The shim, if needed, will go between C & D to prevent C from traveling too far back and allowing B to slip out of the slot in C.
You can test everything while viewing the moving parts and then retest with the gun fully re-assembled.

#7 ·
I just bought a Franchi Veloce Diamond 20 ga, I assume it has the same construction, this is very helpful. My goal is to get conditioned to undoing the safety before each shot, but since all my other guns do not automatically reset I think it will be difficult to get used to this. I will be using the gun for some upland hunting and "hunter" friends have indicated it's best I keep this feature so I'm 50/50 on making the change.

#9 ·
I had the same issue. You need penetrating oil applied to both sides and let it work awhile. The longer the better. Then get a good pin punch and work carefully so you do not wreck the block. It may need a little heat , a little heat, do not torch the crap out of it. If this does not work do not beat the heck out of it. Find someone who is really mechanically inclined- not your beer buddy lol. Maybe say a good gunsmith there are plenty of bad ones. Extra note: some veloces were prone to going half safety after firing the first round especially with hi power loads. If you are under warranty send it in. If not ask them to fix it , being its a safety issue. If they do not this will fix the problem by disabling the problem prone automatic safety. Just remember to manually put the weapon on safe like you have to on most guns.

#14 ·
anvil said:
DO NOT remove that pin all you have to do is remove this rod and it will do away with the auto safety..
http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc17 ... Safety.jpg
This. The rod connected to the selector at the bottom near where it connects to the trigger is the lever that pushes it back on opening. That pin is to keep the selector block from moving too far back under recoil to reengage the second sear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.