CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suggestion wanted for a Semi Auto Shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:59 am 
Limited Edition

Hello, I am having trouble finding a shotgun on a limited budget and looking for suggestions. I dont know every shotgun out on the market and if some shotgun is good quality but does not have a brand name like Benelli, Beretta, but is a good solid shooter that will last me years of dependable service, I am up for any suggestions you might have. I dont want a piece of Junk just to save a few bucks but Im in the price range of 700.00. I am mainly looking at semi auto's or o/u shotguns that wont break the bank. I have had my eye on a mossberg 930 field model but no one in town has one. Dicks Sporting goods has them priced at 469.00 but are out of stock and dont know when they will be getting in a new shipment. But I am open to suggestions if anyone has a better idea or can steer me in the right direction with a good shotgun. Thanks
Pat

Post subject: Re: Suggestion wanted for a Semi Auto Shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:36 am 
Crown Grade

I won't recommend a model or brand because it would be too long of a post, but my advice would be to buy a GOOD condition used gun instead of a new one. Your money will buy you twice the gun.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:08 am 
Crown Grade

Here's a suggestion.

Go to the GunBroker link under "Shopping". When you get to GB, select semi-auto shotguns or O/U"s. This will give you an idea how impossible it is to answer your question. there are literally hundreds of choices to sift through.

After you do that, read this:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=253741

Hopefully this will help you identify just what features your looking for in a gun and how you intend to use it.

Once this is accomplished, a more specific conservation can take place.

BTW, the Mossberg 930 is a very good semi-auto.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:51 am 
Crown Grade

I'm intrigued by the new Franchi Affinity, that Randy Wakeman writes are built in the Benelli plant (per SHOT Show information I think). They're very similar to the Benelli M2, with slightly different styling. MSRP $849 suggests a street price in the 700s, I'd think.

http://www.franchiusa.com/franchi-affinity-shotgun/

Compare what you see with this: http://www.benelliusa.com/innovations/i ... system.php

The question is, when will they actually be available?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:42 pm 

You don't say for what uses or even a gauge preference. I'll asume a 12 for all around use unless you say diffferently.

For a new gun in your price range I would start with either a Beretta 3901 or Browning Silver. You may be able to find a close out on a Beretta AL391/Urika 2 in your price range as well.

If you do consider going used, there are many more very good models that can be added to the list.

BarryD wrote:
I'm intrigued by the new Franchi Affinity. They're very similar to the Benelli M2, with slightly different styling. MSRP $849 suggests a street price in the 700s, I'd think.

http://www.franchiusa.com/franchi-affinity-shotgun/

Compare what you see with this: http://www.benelliusa.com/innovations/i ... system.php

The question is, when will they actually be available?

It's a lightened up a slightly restyled Franchi I-12 that is now avaialible in 20 gauge. It's no more similar to a Benelli M2 than the I-12 is. It still has the recoil/bolt return spring around the magazine tube unlike the M2 with its stock mounted assembly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

The Beretta 391 is an excellent gun. I personally prefer the parallel comb model with the slightly raised rib...shoot it great. Richt now there are several used ones on Trapshooters.Com for sale, asking $900 or so, but price is negotiable. (NEVER buy new). If you can, get the Urika 2. 30" bbls is perfect. Great gun frequently seen in the winners circle. Another option is the Winchester Super x-1, if you can find one. Either gun is super reliable and will take you as far as you want to go in this sport.

WNCRob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:46 pm 
Crown Grade

PasqualeF wrote:
Hello, I am having trouble finding a shotgun on a limited budget and looking for suggestions. I dont know every shotgun out on the market and if some shotgun is good quality but does not have a brand name like Benelli, Beretta, but is a good solid shooter that will last me years of dependable service, I am up for any suggestions you might have. I dont want a piece of Junk just to save a few bucks but Im in the price range of 700.00. I am mainly looking at semi auto's or o/u shotguns that wont break the bank. I have had my eye on a mossberg 930 field model but no one in town has one. Dicks Sporting goods has them priced at 469.00 but are out of stock and dont know when they will be getting in a new shipment. But I am open to suggestions if anyone has a better idea or can steer me in the right direction with a good shotgun. Thanks
Pat

Look at the Weatherby SA-08 Black Synthetic. You can get one for less than the Mossberg and it is much lighter and better handling as well. www.weatherby.com

I bought the Waterfowler and really like it. It is based on the Beretta A303 design.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Did you guys even read the original post before throwing out recommendations that don't even come close to the OP's original question?

The OP wants to buy a shotgun for around $700.00. He doesn't tell us how he intends to use it, whether he's decided on an SA or an O/U, if he wants new or used, or even what gauge he's considering. He's appears to be an absolute newbie.

So, what does he get in response to his question? He gets Beretta, Browning, and Franchi recommendations for guns that that are well outside his stated price range!

Come on guys. Give the guy some useful advice, not your brand preferences!

After he's done his homework and if he's decided to buy an SA, why not tell hm to go with the Mossberg 930. If he likes it and it fits him, it's a great choice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:51 pm 
Crown Grade

GrizzlyAlan wrote:
Did you guys even read the original post before throwing out recommendations that don't even come close to the OP's original question?

The OP wants to buy a shotgun for around $700.00. He doesn't tell us how he intends to use it, whether he's decided on an SA or an O/U, if he wants new or used, or even what gauge he's considering. He's appears to be an absolute newbie.

So, what does he get in response to his question? He gets Beretta, Browning, and Franchi recommendations for guns that that are well outside his stated price range!

Come on guys. Give the guy some useful advice, not your brand preferences!

After he's done his homework and if he's decided to buy an SA, why not tell hm to go with the Mossberg 930. If he likes it and it fits him, it's a great choice.

Beretta, Browning & Franchi are in his price range used!
New Beretta 3901 falls in that range also

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Dr,

You're partially correct.

I used GunBroker for a guide and came up with the following NIB price ranges.

Browning Silver - $900 -1100.
Beretta AL391 - $800-1100
Beretta 3901- $600 (synthetic) - $800/900 wood)
Franchi Affinity - $849 MSRP (no GB listing)

Now I probably missed something and there is probably a sale going on somewhere, but I think this is a pretty fair representation. Other than the 3901 synthetic, they all appear to exceed his budget.

I guess what bothered me the most about some of the replies is that the OP was hit with a whole bunch of recommendations, even though it was apparent that he seemed to know little about shotguns. He didn't know what he wanted and never indicated how he intended to use it.

Rather than throw gun names/models at him. I would have liked to have seen us spend a little bit more time getting to know him and his plans, before recommending specific guns for him to consider.

Now, some folks like to throw out the "buy used" option as a way to keep costs down. I'm not against this, but I'd prefer to see a newbie purchase a new gun if possible, something with an owner's manual and a warranty. I've been shooting for a long time and I'm still nervous when I'm buying a used gun, especially on-line. Although I'm not so worried about a local gun shop, I'm not sure a newbie has the knowledge to know what to look for (and what to avoid) in a used gun.

This is why I reacted as I did.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:20 pm 
Utility Grade

If I were looking for a quality, reasonably priced, semi-auto, which I am looking for another as it were, it would be a Browning Gold Hunter. I have a 12 ga. and am looking for a 20 ga. youth for my mom. They can be had for $500-600 on the used racks or gunbroker and are proven and good looking. They also pattern very well with the back bored barrel and they recoil like you have a cotton ball pushing into your shoulder.

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Ke ... old+hunter There are plenty here below your budget.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hello. Please go to Google and enter CDNN. Download the latest PDF file which should be 2012-1.

There you will find entries for Lanber 2097 and 2087 overunder shotguns. They are available in 30 inch and since those are the most popular that is what I suggest. They are very solid guns and while well known in the UK and Europe they are not popular here in the states. My son has one that he has used for years and I use it when I am in town shooting with him. Very nice guns and an excellent deal for the money.

There is an "I love my Lanber" forum here on SGW. Can't beat them for the money. Nice solid gun that will last generations.

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:42 pm 
Utility Grade

SA-08 , love mine. I much prefer it over my buddies 935

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:08 am 
Crown Grade

ryan32 wrote:
SA-08 , love mine. I much prefer it over my buddies 935

Yeah, the Mossy is like trying to shoot with a 2x4!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:00 am 
Crown Grade

Best deal in a new autoloader today hands down is the Beretta 390/3901. I wouldn't look any further.

1911, Remington, and Beretta Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:04 am 
Limited Edition

Hello to All,
First I want to apologize for the unclear post that lacks critical info. But after looking on line for hours and waiting for the gun show to finally arrive and running from sporting good store to sporting good store and coming up blank, It was an oversight. I have to admit the post was vague and I apologize for not putting in more thought that might well help me more. My Bad and Im sorry. I also want to thank those who responded and trying to help. What I am looking for is a 12 ga. 26 or 28 inch barrel, semi auto with chokes, or will also consider an over and under. I would like to have wood but can settle for a good synthetic. I mainly want to use it for the range where low brass is shot, but would also like to hunt ducks and geese with it as well. An all purpose gun that will accommodate the variety of ammo I would like to use the gun for. I dont need to shoot 3/1/2 inch shells, I have hunted ducks and geese many years ago and might have a little extra time now to get back into the field. Three inch worked then and knocked them down and I dont see the need for the extra punishment on my shoulder. But again in my price range I can settle. I currently have a Remington 870 and an 11-87 premier semi auto as well that that I love and works like a champ as long as I keep it clean but its about 20 years old. It handles any type of shell I put in it. I also have a Mossberg 500atp pump that is about 25 years old and is a work horse that I dont mind taking out in bad weather. Its a workhorse and that is what has drawn me to the mossberg 930 semi auto model. The guns I have researched online and thought about are:
Beretta 390 silver Mallard or the 3901 Statesmen or even the citizen.
Lanber Mod 2532 Semi Auto
Lanber Mod 2087 o/u
Mossberg 930 field.
Also does anyone know if the mossberg 935 will handle trap and skeet loads. I currently shoot Federal #8, 1 1/8 oz shot, 3 Dram Eq. puts out at about 1200 feet per second. These rounds work flawlessly in all my shotguns. I have read that the 935 model doesn't do well with low brass. Anyone have any input on that rumor. Again thanks for your help and sorry for sounding like a newbie. I welcome all suggestions. Thanks for your time.
Pat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

PasqualeF wrote:
Hello to All,

Beretta 390 silver Mallard or the 3901 Statesmen or even the citizen.
Lanber Mod 2532 Semi Auto
Lanber Mod 2087 o/u
Mossberg 930 field.
Also does anyone know if the mossberg 935 will handle trap and skeet loads. I currently shoot Federal #8, 1 1/8 oz shot, 3 Dram Eq. puts out at about 1200 feet per second. These rounds work flawlessly in all my shotguns. I have read that the 935 model doesn't do well with low brass. Anyone have any input on that rumor. Again thanks for your help and sorry for sounding like a newbie. I welcome all suggestions. Thanks for your time.
Pat

Pat, the 935 supposedly will handle light loads, but the 930 does and handles 3" shells, which is all you need. I have a 3901 synthetic; it is the best fitting shotgun I have ever owned after I added a Limbsaver pad.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:34 pm 
Limited Edition

Hi Papaac,
Thanks for the reply. Which 3901 do you own. I see they come in the citizens model or the statesman's model and one other model the name escapes me. Does it make a difference which one or do you think i will be safe with any of them. I have to see if it fits me as well. I am right at the mark where i can get by with a 14 inch LOP but I think I would do better with a 13 or 13 1/2 inch length of pull. Also can you cut down a synthetic stock in case you need too. Going to go to the gun show that is in town today and look for something there. Wish me luck. I have cash in hand and my trusty list in hand with some suggestions I received on this blog. Thanks for the help.
PAT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

PasqualeF wrote:
Hi Papaac,
Thanks for the reply. Which 3901 do you own. I see they come in the citizens model or the statesman's model and one other model the name escapes me. Does it make a difference which one or do you think i will be safe with any of them. I have to see if it fits me as well. I am right at the mark where i can get by with a 14 inch LOP but I think I would do better with a 13 or 13 1/2 inch length of pull. Also can you cut down a synthetic stock in case you need too. Going to go to the gun show that is in town today and look for something there. Wish me luck. I have cash in hand and my trusty list in hand with some suggestions I received on this blog. Thanks for the help.
PAT

Pat, mine is synthetic stocked. They also make a walnut/blued model and a camo synthetic. The interior is the same on all three. I can't help you regarding cutting the stock down.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:42 pm 
Limited Edition

Hello Again,
Just an update, I just got back from the gun show and what a dissapointment. Everything tactical, tactical and more tactical. What ever happened to the nice wood guns with nice stocks. Cost me 15 bucks total to get in including parking and there was nothing but old stuff that was overpriced in my opinion. Went to Bass Pro Shop and saw an nice over and under made by mossberg. 12 ga silver reserve priced 589.00. I have read the reviews about trouble with the firing pins and guns being sent back to the manufacturer and I dont want to contend with that. Main complaint were the firing pins breaking. Looked for some guns that were suggested and didnt find any of them in stock. Never thought I would have this much trouble finding a shotgun. The mossberg silver reserve fit like a dream. Came up and lined up with my frame with ease. Really Really felt good but the reviews I have seen on this website prevented me from buying it. Now i dont know if Mossberg has improved in that area and would appreciate any info anyone might have on the Mossberg over and under.
Pat