Shotgun Forum banner

SxS - single or double triggers?

3K views 59 replies 33 participants last post by  mtchamber 
#1 ·
I've never had a double triggered shotgun and don't know if I could get used to it. Thinking about an older classic for the occasional duck blind and upland. Has anyone had trouble adjusting to 2 triggers?

#28 ·
#31 ·
Thanks BarryD! That boxlock is GORGEOUS! If you find out anything more on them I'd appreciate a heads up!

#32 ·
Barry,
I looked at the LCS website and they have discontinued ordering the single trigger. The Ugartechea website lists the single trigger as an option on most of their guns, so must be a decision by LCS based on previous experiences with single triggers. I currently own two AYA's and a Zabala single trigger guns that function perfectly, but they are boxlocks, not the nice sidelock I'm lusting after. I have E-Mailed Ugartechea about getting a gun built recently, but have not heard back from them yet. If I don't get a response in a few weeks, I'll try twisting some arms over at LCS. It's terrible when you have money to spend and nobody seems to want it.

#37 ·
This is one of the best threads I have read in a long time. I love my Aya 107 li 16 dt.
Hope to put dts on a Berette sp or 686e soon.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#38 ·
Just talked to Lion Country on getting an Uggie 257 built for me and they will order a single trigger, however will not warranty the trigger assembly. It is a non-selectable single trigger, but I've never been one to select a trigger after the bird flushes any way. My barrel selector consists of blowing through the first barrel to get to the tighter choke even on my selective guns. My Browning BSS and Smith & Wesson Elite Gold are both non-selective single triggers and have never been an issue. 90+% of the time in my upland experience the right barrel first has been the right choice.

#39 ·
That 257 surely is a fabulous gun Riflemeister! I break out in the shakes and start sweating every time I look at that website!

And while I do prefer the DT, I must say that shooting my S&W ST I've become fairy adept at the "scare 'em with the first barrel, kill em with the second" theory of barrel selection. Now....all I've got to do is get the "Kill 'em with the second" part down pat! :lol: :oops:

#40 ·
There are a couple of things that haven't been mentioned about double triggers. Some people skin the first joint of their trigger finger when firing the back trigger. That's why they sometimes hinge the front trigger. It's called an articulating front trigger. I have also seen a near double due to the trigger finger slipping on the front trigger from recoil and pulling the back trigger. That's a very quick second shot, of course it won't hit anything except by accident. You can keep from skinning your finger by putting a bandaid on your trigger finger with the pad on the joint if you have that problem. Shooting practice seems to cure both problems.

#41 ·
Well I'm delving into the world of double triggers...there's a 12ga Stoeger Zephyr Woodlander on the way. Thanks for all the comments, I'll let you know how the transition goes. {hs#

#45 ·
I started as a teenager with double triggers on an old J.C. Higgins side by side, but nowdays, I own both single and double trigger side by sides. For hunting I prefer the double trigger side by side, but on the other hand, one of my favorite side by sides is a single trigger Winchester 23.

In theory, the double trigger has the advantage, of instant choke choice, and on almost every pheasant hunt, I will get a few wild flushes where I will fire the full choke barrel first, and once in a while that advantage will net another bird or two, but ironically, more then once I have chosen the tight barrel first and missed and still brought down the bird with the more open barrel, so maybe the advantage is more academic they real, sometimes.

Still yet, I believe I prefer the double trigger side by side over the single trigger, and I believe the double trigger is more reliable, because you do have two independent firing systems. If a gunsmith tells you that the double trigger is less reliable, it probably just because there are a lot more cheap side by sides with double triggers, then single triggers, so he's going to see more brought in his shop for repair.

#48 ·
Sure do appreciate everyone telling me that I don't know what I know. I have several double trigger SXS's and manage quite well at skeet and informal clays. The problems arise when you throw game birds into the equation. All that nice practice I did goes out the window when the killer instinct lops about 40 points off my IQ and I'll do something stupid like pulling the front trigger twice, pulling the rear trigger when I wanted the front or something equally stupid. I've tried it enough to know it won't work and that is why they build guns with single triggers and I buy them. My bird shooting style is basically the Churchill method of mount the gun to the bird and fire when the gun hits the shoulder. Works best for me when the brain is completely out of the picture and everything is instinctive with hard concentration on the bird. If I can tell if the quail is a rooster or a hen, I will likely kill it. Just don't ask me to do that with double triggers.

#51 ·
Riflemeister said:
Sure do appreciate everyone telling me that I don't know what I know. I have several double trigger SXS's and manage quite well at skeet and informal clays. The problems arise when you throw game birds into the equation. All that nice practice I did goes out the window when the killer instinct lops about 40 points off my IQ and I'll do something stupid like pulling the front trigger twice, pulling the rear trigger when I wanted the front or something equally stupid. I've tried it enough to know it won't work and that is why they build guns with single triggers and I buy them. My bird shooting style is basically the Churchill method of mount the gun to the bird and fire when the gun hits the shoulder. Works best for me when the brain is completely out of the picture and everything is instinctive with hard concentration on the bird. If I can tell if the quail is a rooster or a hen, I will likely kill it. Just don't ask me to do that with double triggers.
Now Riflemeister... You know I love you, but lets be honest....If you can fly a jet off a carrier, you can shoot a DT gun. You just prefer ST guns. And happily we have a choice. :D :D :D

And congrats :)W :)W :)W on the new Ugartechea Model 257! That is one fine shotgun!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.