CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SxS - single or double triggers?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I started out as a kid shooting single shots and pumps. Add a young adult I got my first double barrel. It had double triggers and add far as I know there was never a problem adjusting. I've hunted with double triggers in the heat and cold, with gloves and without, it never has been a problem. Just like a previous poster said, it is the same difference as a safety on the trigger guard and ones on the tang, a non issue. I want two triggers on my doubles.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

Since I grew up shooting a semi auto, I avoided double trigger guns like the plague for years. I just assumed that I couldn't shoot them as well as a single trigger gun, and that I would probably loose my balance and fall down and develop a rash and male pattern baldness if I even tried to master the devilish twin trigger configuration.

Only in recent years when I was tempted into buying a 2 trigger gun by a very persuasive post I read on a shooting forum did I suddenly realize that not only were 2 triggers not a bad thing, but I actually preferred them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:51 am 
Presentation Grade

Two barrels, two triggers. Choice is good. Instant selection of choke is the best thing about a double barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:29 am 
Crown Grade

If you want a single trigger, get a single trigger. I own both single and double trigger SXS's, with both straight stocks and some sort of pistol grip. I found that on double triggers, I could shoot clays all day long with double triggers without a hiccup. When a live bird got in the air, my trigger finger went stupid and I'd pull twice on one trigger, or pull the wrong trigger. It was pitiful.

I determined the guns that worked best for me were single trigger SXS's with a POW or open pistol grip stock. They are the most intuitive for me on live birds with very few pilot induced errors.

The downside of single triggers to me is the lack of upscale guns in the configuration I prefer. I am really wanting a SXS sidelock in 16 ga with single trigger and POW stock and my fitted dimensions. None to be had. If I was lusting after a double trigger 16 ga with English stock, there are multiple choices readily available both new and used.

Bottom line is that more guns are available in the double trigger configuration, especially the more upscale guns, but you need to get what works best for you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:51 am 
Crown Grade

Riflemeister, here is exactly what you want. You will have to order it -- but somehow I doubt you'll be able to get your fitted dimensions off the rack anyway. :)

Any of their sidelocks can be ordered as you want them, including with single triggers, PoW grips, etc. They are all available in 16.

http://www.doubleshotguns.com/ugarteche ... assic.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oh man BarryD!!! You HAD to go showing me those Ugartecheas sidelocks again! Image Image Image

If they made them in a round body I would probably melt into a puddle of goo.

Even without the round body, those 16 gauge sidelocks make me sweat and my hands shake.

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

OMG has a whole new meaning. OBAMA MUST GO!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:25 am 
Crown Grade

Round body? You mean the Grade V?

http://www.doubleshotguns.com/ugarteche ... elock.html

The AyA No. 2 Round Action is REALLY nice in 16, though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BarryD wrote:

Oh the Grade V comes with a round action? Pic didn't look like it.

BarryD wrote:
The AyA No. 2 Round Action is REALLY nice in 16, though.

Any recommendations on where I can get a look at some pics. If not, I will google them just thought I ask if you had a suggestion.

Thanks......

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:40 am 
Crown Grade

Cabela's carries them. Their pictures tend to be comprehensive.

Here's a 16: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Aya-Model-2-Round-Action/1270849.uts?Ntk=GunLibrary&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D0%26Ntk%3DGunLibrary%26Ntt%3Daya%2Bround%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3DSearchRefinements%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26isLiberal%3DN%26search%3Daya%2Bround%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=aya+round

I just did a Bing search and found a lot of decent hits. That is probably the best way to see a lot of angles.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:42 am 
Crown Grade

I'd like one of their new boxlock RAs, but I have no idea how to get a hold of one (or what the price is, because of that).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks BarryD! That boxlock is GORGEOUS! If you find out anything more on them I'd appreciate a heads up!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Barry,
I looked at the LCS website and they have discontinued ordering the single trigger. The Ugartechea website lists the single trigger as an option on most of their guns, so must be a decision by LCS based on previous experiences with single triggers. I currently own two AYA's and a Zabala single trigger guns that function perfectly, but they are boxlocks, not the nice sidelock I'm lusting after. I have E-Mailed Ugartechea about getting a gun built recently, but have not heard back from them yet. If I don't get a response in a few weeks, I'll try twisting some arms over at LCS. It's terrible when you have money to spend and nobody seems to want it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Have you contacted Fausti USA?

They offer made-to-order sidelocks in the Fausti Boutique line. I'm not sure about single triggers, but I'm sure they'll answer a query.

http://www.faustiusa.com/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:26 pm 
Crown Grade

I'm going to run this Ugartechea idea to ground first, but will keep Fausti in mind.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Those recent Faustis are really nice in the hands, and they are offering 16s across their lines now AFAIK. Scaled O/Us, even.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:25 pm 
Limited Edition

I don’t know of any manufacturer that builds a completely reliable single trigger and the single trigger is one of the few blemishes or hiccups people have with their outrageously expensive double guns.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:42 am 
Presentation Grade

This is one of the best threads I have read in a long time. I love my Aya 107 li 16 dt.
Hope to put dts on a Berette sp or 686e soon.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Browning BPS Hunter w/26 inch barrel
Beretta 686 SP1 12 g w/32 inch bls
Marlin Model 55 10 gauge w/36 inch barrel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:02 am 
Crown Grade

Just talked to Lion Country on getting an Uggie 257 built for me and they will order a single trigger, however will not warranty the trigger assembly. It is a non-selectable single trigger, but I've never been one to select a trigger after the bird flushes any way. My barrel selector consists of blowing through the first barrel to get to the tighter choke even on my selective guns. My Browning BSS and Smith & Wesson Elite Gold are both non-selective single triggers and have never been an issue. 90+% of the time in my upland experience the right barrel first has been the right choice.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That 257 surely is a fabulous gun Riflemeister! I break out in the shakes and start sweating every time I look at that website!

And while I do prefer the DT, I must say that shooting my S&W ST I've become fairy adept at the "scare 'em with the first barrel, kill em with the second" theory of barrel selection. Now....all I've got to do is get the "Kill 'em with the second" part down pat! :lol: :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

There are a couple of things that haven't been mentioned about double triggers. Some people skin the first joint of their trigger finger when firing the back trigger. That's why they sometimes hinge the front trigger. It's called an articulating front trigger. I have also seen a near double due to the trigger finger slipping on the front trigger from recoil and pulling the back trigger. That's a very quick second shot, of course it won't hit anything except by accident. You can keep from skinning your finger by putting a bandaid on your trigger finger with the pad on the joint if you have that problem. Shooting practice seems to cure both problems.