Shotgun Forum banner

Merkel model 447 SL

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  KarlJ 
#1 ·
I have an opportunity to purchase one of these in 12ga 28" barrels english stock in very good shape from a local gunshop. I am not very familiar with these guns. Would someone with some experience with these guns please give an overview of the quality and value That these guns have. Thank you in advance for any knowledge that you have on this model of Merkel.

#2 ·
If you are referring to this model http://www.doublegunshop.com/merkel_47sl.htm ...it is a very fine gun. It is the entry level sidelock....simpler scroll engraving on bright lock plates. For the most part these guns were built with grade 1-2 wood...a gun with better wood would be worth more. Those built specifically for North America usually came with the better wood. They are very rugged guns...not as elegant as many offerings from Spain or Italy, but built for a lot of hard use. A lightly used gun will still be stiff...it takes a lot of rounds to break in these guns usually. Should be in the 6lb 14 oz to 7lb 2 oz weight range...not as trim as Spanish guns. Only think I don't care for is that often the ejectors throw shells across the yard!!! but that can be tuned.

I have a 147sl in 16 gauge (same mechanicals, just better engraving and wood) made in 1976 and it is unbreakable. I would think in top condition, your gun should be in the $4K range...sub gauges would be a bit more....price adjusted for engraving, wood, single trigger, overall condition, etc.

#4 ·
Probably in the USA you get on a second hand 47SL USD 4000. In Continental Europe not any more. There are still some stocks with new guns which are sold now. 47SL and 147 SL models.

The 47SL cost new out of the box with 5year guarantee to the first buyer around USD 4000. The 147 about 1000 more.

So for a used one in really good condition it is 50% of that. For a more or less used one 30%.

Karl´s 1976 model is still from a time where they made very good quality. The end 70´s and all 80´s ages was poor made and the quality deceased evry year. Even the ones just made after the merger to west Germany was made on the old machinery early 90´s but with good quality raw matherial. All what they made after 95/96 is top again. Worst what you can get is 87 to 89. There was even the blueing not uniform any more etc. For that time from 10-20% of the above price is real. (in the time frame not all guns was bad but the percentage of the bad made ones was increasingly fast growing)

To get about an overview.
Remove the barrel, when you hold it an touch it like a bell it should sound like a bell, when not there is something wrong (you can usually here then rost moving beween the barrels when you turn the barrel (below the rail). My model 93 has that problem. The 04 ist perfect.

The wood fit us in that time mostly very poor. When you remove the metal parts from the stock you will see inside very poor manufacturing quality, many dents from the machinery. (only my 93 inside is better polished then on the 04 version, the 87 version I sold was less then poor inside). From that the bad trigger pulls came by 50%, the other is desing related. My 04 version has a by far better tigger pull then my 93 version - what means a design related problem you can decrease to a certain stage only. The old design sidelock 47 models are usually a bit gummy and not really crisp, especially compared to the 60E models new. The design of both looks the same but is totally different, the new has 3 axis you see outside and the 3 swcrew ends desapeared becasue the inner assebly is nowadays not screwed on the the sideplate anymore it is one with the sideplate. You can immagine that the on the new design the axis hold much better then on the old design. It is easyer to make and the end result is better but you need a CNC machine to make it.

#6 ·
scottd901 said:
I made an incorrect identification. It is a model 447.Seems to be a big price difference. It has beautiful engraving. I have it on hold and am trying to make a decision.
A big difference...they are usually overpriced. If you can get it for $5.5K or thereabouts and the gun is in VG condition, its probably a good deal. I would expect a very nice piece of wood on this model. IMO....the market for better German guns is very small....don't over estimate value on this gun.

I agree with much of what bunoushcu has to say but I still consider the guns from 1987-95 on a case by case basis. I have handled some very nice ones from that time period...but you do have to be careful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.