CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: THE SPESCO GROUP.... WHAT IS THIS GUN WORTH
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:32 am 
Utility Grade

3I recently aquired a 12 ga single barrel shotgun from my grandfather and i wanted some more information on it. On the top of the barrell it says " The Spesco-Corporation-Alanta, GA then on one side of the barrel it says " 12 GAUGE-2 3/4 IN.-FULL PROOF TESTED" Then on the other side of the barrell it says "MADE IN BRAZIL
bY COMPANHIA BRASILEIRA DE CARTUCHOS
S.ANDRE-EST. S. PAULO

Post subject: Re: THE SPESCO GROUP.... WHAT IS THIS GUN WORTH
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The name "Spesco" doesn't mean much - that would be the importer or distributor. The key is "COMPANHIA BRASILEIRA DE CARTUCHOS" which translates loosly as "Brazilian Cartridge Company" and is the manufacturer. I have heard that name before, but I can't remember where, and I can't find it in my reference books. It is commonly referred to as CBC. The company does have a web site: http://www.cbc.com.br/explorer.htm

There could be exceptions, but I believe the CBC guns are the cheapest of the cheap. They are the K-Mart Bargain Basement of guns. And a single-barrel is generally the cheapest type of shotgun. I don't mean to imply that it is a "bad" gun - that certainly isn't true. If it is in good condition it should be a good shooter. But it is not a collector's item.

The gun has a lot of value to you as a memento of your grandfather. Keep it and treasure it for that reason. If it is in good shape, use it in his honor. There is no need to insure it or sell it, because it isn't worth that much anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

I once owned the same gun as yours...oddly enough, I traded it for a single shot 410 by the same company...actually the same gun only in 410. $75 would be about right for the value, but I have to tell you that I wouldn't sell my 410 for $275. They are great shooters, and it is actually a pretty sturdy gun.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:25 pm 
Utility Grade

My father has had a 20 gauge double barrel for many years. We've never thought of it to be rare or valuable. Just looking for some information. One barrel says "The Spesco Corp" and the other "Made in Spain Felix Saraqeta y CIA" The name and where it was made is partially worn off so that may be incorrect. Any information anyone may have would be greatly apprieciated! Thank you