Shotgun Forum banner

Getting into sub gauges, help me decide please?

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  John H 
#1 ·
Hi all,
As the title states I want to get into the sub gauges and the only thing the gun will be used for is skeet and sporting clays. My current gun, which I love, is the CG Summit Impact with 32" barrels. I have a 410 already, but I do not like the tiny baby frame. So I know I want some type of tubed combo and this is where I need help deciding.

My first option is to buy a new 32" Impact barrel for my CG, send it to Kolar to make a carrier barrel, then to CG for fit and trigger work. This would cost roughly $4700-$5000 depending on the tube package I get.

Second option is to send my current barrel to Kolar, only this time it would be to fit tubes as a companion barrel so I don't loose 12 ga, then to CG for the trigger (I think another poster said Kolar can do this, but would that void the CG warranty?). I haven't priced specifically companion tubes, so not sure it the cost is to just fit these. So not sure on total cost, but probably the same as above minus the $2200 for the barrel.

Third option is to just buy a new gun for the sub gauges. I'm sure used Kolar and CG guns can be had for $7500 or less in this configuration I want. CG has this listed, but no 32" option, which I really like, though not sure it is needed is the sub gauges. MSRP $7,725 (12 Type-S (Skeet 4g Comp. Pkg), 28", 30" barrel).

My thinking is if I have to send the gun away I might as well just the the carrier barrel. If I could have just bought the tubes without sending the gun in I was going to try the companion way, but if I want 410, and I do, I need trigger work. I just verified I do not have a mechanical trigger.

Since I plan to own this gun for a very long time I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest option. But I don't want to waste money at the same time. So I'm looking for help to make the smartest decision from those who have been down this road before.

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Kolar doesn't offer "companion" tubes; all theirs are fitted. The "Companion" tubes are offered by Briley and are a generic fit to most any gun. Briley also does fitted tubes that are specific to a given gun/barrel.

I think you are confusing "carrier barrels" and having tubes fitted to a shootable 12-ga barrel. Lots of folks...including me...have Kolar tubes fitted to a shootable 12-ga barrel. That way, I can use the 12-ga barrel if I want. The only drawback is that with the tubes in, the gun will weigh about 14 oz more than with them out. That can be offset by using a barrel weight when shooting the 12-ga barrels without tubes. Or, you can do like a lot of us do; use the tubed 20-ga barrels in both 12-ga and 20-ga events. I don't miss the 1/4 oz of shot at all.

One consideration with a 32" barrel gun is will it be too heavy for you with tubes installed. If it is marginally too heavy without tubes, that could be an issue. If not, no problem.

#4 ·
I use Briley companion tubes in all 3 sub gauges. Originally I bought them for my Cynergy Classic with 30" barrels that I was just positive I would shoot forever..... Then I found my Kolar. Spoke with Briley and they swapped my .20 gauge companions for the cost of freight alone. .28/.410 fit with no problem. Both my guns are mechanical triggers so I didn't have that expense. I would not be scared to have Briley do any triggers. Although the customer service at Briley is second to none.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.453742,-104.255495

#5 ·
#7 ·
Thanks for the links, but POI isn't my only reason I like the high rib, I can keep my head allot more upright and it makes the target allot more visible for me. I'm not against the standard style, but before laying down that kind of cash I would want to shoot one adjusted to me first. I would be open to more than Kolar, but I think my limit here will have to be in 7500 range.

#8 ·
I believe I'd look at just sending your gun to CG and having them fit a set of high rib 30" bbls and have them install their skeet trigger. Then send it to Briley or Kolar for fitted tubes. Your gun will be out of commission for some time. As long as you're getting new bbls, I'd look at 30's - adding ultralight tubes it will still weigh a bit more than your 32's but should be close.

If you bought your gun from someone like Pacific, they may be able to handle the whole thing for you - and get some help accelerating the process.

Either that or just keep looking for a used CG / Kolar / K80 skeet gun with a high rib that is already tubed and in your budget more or less. DT10 trap with 30" bbl maybe - I don't know if the rib is high enough to suit your needs though.

#9 ·
Thanks John. If I got a carrier barrel wouldn't the weight be more or less the same as my current barrel? If I go with that option I think I will go with Kolar as they have faster turn around time. And yes, my dealer said they could handle everything for me.

Is the CG a worthy gun to do this to? A few guys at the gun club seemed to think it is a waste of money and I need a K gun or similar to do this to.

#10 ·
kikyo, not sure if you can get it from CG, but from Kolar, Kreighoff and Perazzi you can get a heavy barrel that will match the weight of the other barrel with tubes. Or they can hone down the one barrel like you are talking about doing.

It is just my opinion but I think the jury is still out on the durability of the CG's in high volume shooting and that would be what would bother me the most. They are certainly fine guns there is no doubt there. But what is the history of them shooting 25K rounds per year or more for year after year. My gut reaction is that they will stand the test but that isn't worth much.

#11 ·
I think he has a 32" bbl now - and wants to match that weight with a tubed bbl.

yes a carrier bbl would do that - essentially they have to backbore the bbl about 0.020" or so to get the weight out of the bbls. These bbls can not be shot without the tubes installed.

I was just thinking that if you got a set of 30" bbls and ultralight tubes your weight with tubes would be close to your 32" bbls without - and you'd have a usable 30" set of bbls. You also wouldn't have to pay the expense of boring out a set of 32" bbls.

I think matched weight carrier bbl with tubes and a 12 gauge bbl is as close to Ideal as you can get. Being somewhat of a 'practical use'/'multitasking is good' kind of guy - I like the idea of having a usable set of bbls - but thats me.

#12 ·
John, nothing wrong with your idea, but unless I'm missing something that would cost me about $3800 more as now I need 2 barrels and am only saving $675 for the boring. So I'm getting real close to a brand new CG that comes with tubes. And no offense, but what would I ever use the other barrel for other than my tubes? As long as the gun holds up I have no plans to re-sell it.

Assuming money wasn't an issue and you were in my situation this is the route you would go?

I found a few MX2000 combos used for a reasonable price. How are they? They have a 3 click adjustable rib, is that the same type of high rib I am looking for?

Thanks again for taking the time to help me :)

#13 ·
Not communicating well I guess. You have 32" bbls correct? IF you convert those bbls to "carrier bbls" they can't ever be used as a 12 gauge bbl - only as a carrier for the tubes. Now your CG s a subgauge only gun.

IF you are trying to match the weight of your existing bbl with another set of 32" bbl with tubes - then you're buying a 30" or 32" bbl, backboring it, and buying tubes. You should be able to very nearly exactly match the weight of your existing gun this way.

Or, buy a set of perfectly good set of 30" bbls, don't backbore them, and buy ultralight tubes for them. Now you have a 32" set of bbls - your original bbls, and a 30" bbl with tubes that is about 8-9 oz. more weight than your gun without tubes now. And the 30" bbl is a perfectly usable 12 gauge bbl.

Or sell the gun you have, poney up another $7500 or so and buy a kolar max skeet with tubes and carrier bbl set up and ready to go. A friend of mine just bout a 30" Kolar Max skeet, tubes, with a 12 ga. bbl and a carrier bbl. Nice set up. Not cheap - but really nice. (I think he got it through Pacific Sporting Arms. either new or darn near new)

Really don't think there is a 'right' or 'wrong' way to go- just options with plusses and minuses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.