Shotgun Forum banner

Merkel Model 8 SxS 12 Gauge help

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  gjw 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me about the history of the Model 8 - when they were made and anything about the bottom picture here with the olympic rings - what they mean?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, the Model 8 was a basic Boxlock design, nothing really special about them. A very solid gun and well made. A good entry level SxS. Your gun was made in May 1969 (the 569 mark) and was made in East Germany. The gun is chambered for 2 3/4" shells (12/70 means 12ga and 70mm chamber).

The Three rings are the trade mark for Krupp steel.

Your gun is an ejector gun, so I'm wondering if the Model is not a 47E and not a Model 8, which were extractor guns.

I don't know the production dates of the model 8, but the 47E is still being made. You can Google Merkel Model 8 and 47E for a comparison of the two.

Guns made in Soviet Occupied Germany were all made in the same factory, the Ernst Thalmann Peoples Works. The guns made there, were Simson, Merkel and a host of other well known German makers, same guns, different maker marks stamped on them.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Greg

#3 ·
Thanks Greg,

I thought it was a Model 8 based on the engraving and its look being less elegant than a 47E, but I think you're right that it's probably a 47E. I DOES have ejectors, not extractors, which seems to be the only difference. I've not seen 47E's with the same engraving as mine, as well as with the hunting scenes.

I saw a model 8 for say the other day that was made in the 1990's, so I guess they're still around.

What's the best way to clean up rust on the outside?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.