CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: not happy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:59 pm 
Field Grade

I started to shoot skeet 2-3 month and got stuck on low scores – 11-14. No improvements...
Have confidence in positions 1;7, sometimes brake in 2;6.
Reading forums, watching videos I suspect my problem are correct lead and stopping gun.
Also I think I see clays to late, play catch up and shoot too late.
Need some ideas how to work on these problems?
How long in average takes for a newbie to brake through 20?

Post subject: Re: not happy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:10 pm 
Global Moderator

It's often hard to diagnose your own ills and too often those looking over your shoulder can't really convey how to help. If you haven't check out OSP, Gil and Vickie have a great place (they travel giving lessons also) and I'm sure, they can get you headed in the right direction.

http://www.ospschool.com/

~~There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness~~

"Women and Cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."--Robert A. Heinlein--

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Every one progress at their own rate,have you thought about or checked into getting a couple of lessons :?: That would save you a lot of time and frustration.

Video's are helpful to a point but a good instructor who can watch you and be able to tell you why you're missing,someone just saying you're behind/above/etc but can't expound past that isn't helping IMO.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Have you attempted to determine your master or dominant eye? If you have cross dominance some times or all of the time, it would cause serious problems, very possibly involving your swings and leads.

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition - Gun-fitting & shooting instruction for shooters of all ages and disciplines. http://www.amazon.com in their book section.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:47 pm 
Field Grade

yeah, I looked at lesson option, and was putting it off for sometime considering it worth about month of my shooting budget...
May be it's time to do it . I'm shooting at Elm Fork. Any suggestions on a good instructor?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:56 pm 
Field Grade

I have right dominant eye, and it appearance that my Browning Citory 12GA 28" O/U fits me OK according gunsmith.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As mentioned, get some lessons. Ask at your club for recommendations as to a good local instructor from who to take some initial lessons. You don't have anything in the way of technique to work on, so while I fully sympathize with limited shooting budget, your practice budget is pretty much being wasted blowing holes in the sky. Also, the earlier you get lessons, the less bad habits you will form and need to relearn.

This is a bit like a person taking a lift to the top of Vail and hoping that somehow on the way down he will intuitively learn how to ski (ok, it wasn't a big mountain like Vail, but I did do this when much younger...most folks couldn't believe that I actually got up the lift chair without knowing the first thing about skiing...it was a looooong trip back down the hill LOL).

Get some lessons which will then give you some fundamentals that you can then work on during your practice sessions.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

strobes wrote:
I'm shooting at Elm Fork. Any suggestions on a good instructor?

Sent you a P/M

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:45 pm 
Crown Grade

Baron23 wrote:
As mentioned, get some lessons. Ask at your club for recommendations as to a good local instructor from who to take some initial lessons. You don't have anything in the way of technique to work on, so while I fully sympathize with limited shooting budget, your practice budget is pretty much being wasted blowing holes in the sky. Also, the earlier you get lessons, the less bad habits you will form and need to relearn.

This is a bit like a person taking a lift to the top of Vail and hoping that somehow on the way down he will intuitively learn how to ski (ok, it wasn't a big mountain like Vail, but I did do this when much younger...most folks couldn't believe that I actually got up the lift chair without knowing the first thing about skiing...it was a looooong trip back down the hill LOL).

Get some lessons which will then give you some fundamentals that you can then work on during your practice sessions.

+1 on lessons. strobes....even in the pretty short haul, lessons are cheaper than shells and targets.

Baron...your ski experience sounds like mine! Germany, 1974, the ski "instructor" took us to the top of a mountain and showed us how to snap our boots to the skis. Then he said turn around and face down hill. That was the last time I ever saw that son of *%^%$#! It was a very long, cold, hard trip back down that mountain. Ever since I have stuck to sand, sun, surf, and scuba....much better than snow, ski, snot, and shiver!

Strobes...a good instructor actually SAVES you money. BTW, I know a lot of good gunsmiths...most don't jack about gun fit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:39 pm 
Crown Grade

yeap......lessons lessons lessons..........

I thought that was the stupidest thing I had ever heard at one time.........get someone to help you with gun fit also.

I wasted a lot of ammo doing things the wrong way. I still do them wrong when I am not in to the game like I should be but at least I know what is right and wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Quote:
the ski "instructor" took us to the top of a mountain and showed us how to snap our boots to the skis. Then he said turn around and face down hill. That was the last time I ever saw that son of *%^%$#!

Mismost - now that is funny! The next year after my experience I went to a place in Quebec province called Grey Rocks which was a full service lodge and everybody was in ski school class at from beginner to expert levels. Lessons turned a miserable experience into one of the greatest pleasures of my younger years.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:57 pm 
Crown Grade

+1 on lessons. The NSSA website has a list of all the NSSA certified coaches in your area. Even with that though, If you can find some of the registered shooters in the area and get one to mentor you, you'd be way ahead of trying to figure it out for yourself. You have to have someone that knows what they are doing to watch your form, movements, eye positions, hold points, breakpoints, etc and get you doing everything consistently. A little bit of coaching can save you hundreds of targets trying to figure it our for yourself.

If you shoot to much without some decent coaching you'll build muscle memory - of the wrong darn thing. That is really hard to break. I've seen that too often. There is a guy at our club that bought a clay delay voice release so he can shoot practice by himself - great, but he has so ingrained his bad habits that even with a bit coaching he goes back to doing it his way- and complaining about his scores.

One of Many

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

here comes stu's standard post, frequent flyers>divert your eyes..

Have you taken your shotgun to a pattern board yet?
A very basic thing that turned out to be huge for me. After finding out mine was shooting way left-adjustments added about 5 more clays the very next round.

Ok, everyone can look again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:15 pm 
Field Grade

stubeeef wrote:
here comes stu's standard post, frequent flyers>divert your eyes..

Have you taken your shotgun to a pattern board yet?
A very basic thing that turned out to be huge for me. After finding out mine was shooting way left-adjustments added about 5 more clays the very next round.

Ok, everyone can look again.

Yes, it has been tested, looks like it shoots 80/20 from both barrels.

And by the way I trust this guys telling me that the gun fits me OK.
Dallas Gallery
41 Highland ParkVillage
Dallas, TX 75205
Phone: 214.559.9800
www.dallas.berettagallery.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:33 pm 
Field Grade

Baron23 wrote:

Funny you mentioned this - back in USSR mid 60’s this is how kids including me been though how to swim - thrown in dip water. And I found to be a good swimmer than and skier later – no fears and “can do” attitude....Still I think, yes it's time to take lessons. And join a good squad.

Last edited by strobes on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would find a good coach. Your first statement regarding leads and stopping the gun, go hand in hand. Stopping the gun is classic result of looking at the target than at the last moment checking the lead by looking back at the barrel, the gun stops.

Find a good coach, not to be confused with the local hot-shot or gun club experts.

You probably need to address a skeet gun that shoots 80/20, that is trap gun territory. 50/50 to maybe 65/35 is more in line.

Oh yeah, like others have suggested find a good coach.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."

Last edited by dogchaser37 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:36 pm 
Field Grade

It took me about a year, shooting 3-4 times per month, to break through 20. I have been stuck in the 15-20 range for the past 6 months, but yesterday, shot a 21 finally. I was using my new 20 ga Beretta 391 and it shot very smooth. Stations 3-5 high house are the toughest shots for me.

Beretta AL391 20 ga.
Remington 1100 20 ga-sold.

Lifetime NRA member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:43 pm 
Field Grade

godawgs82 wrote:
It took me about a year, shooting 3-4 times per month, to break through 20. I have been stuck in the 15-20 range for the past 6 months, but yesterday, shot a 21 finally. I was using my new 20 ga Beretta 391 and it shot very smooth. Stations 3-5 high house are the toughest shots for me.

Thank you, This is what I was looking for. Compare my experience with other shooter's knowledge.
Strobes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:38 pm 
Crown Grade

My shooting partner went out to the club for the first time about a year before I went out there. He took his Benelli M2 jamb-o-matic and went to the front desk - they hooked him up with one of the registered guys to walk him through a round. He ran them. 25/25. first time on a skeet field.

Been downhill ever since.

One of Many

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I started with lessons, didn't want to get too many bad habits.
Shot my first 25 at about 6 months. Been shooting for 10 months get 92-96/100.

Get the lessons, saves money in the long run.