It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum sponsor

Gil and Vicki Ash OSP Shooting School

Post subject: Stock Fit
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:40 am 
Tournament Grade

Hello Gil:

I see you mention that you do about 175 gun fitting sessions a year for clients. In your experience with fitting, how do you address shooters with long necks and arms that require long LOP and large drop dimensions ? Is it possible to maintain a comfortable erect head position and still achieve a proper eye/rib alignment without large drop dimensions ?

Post subject: Re: Stock Fit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:13 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

hard to answer with facts you have given me....different styles ....different views of head erect....there are points of no return in all stock dimensions....we have successfully fitted shooters with LOPs of 17" and all facial shapes.....gi ve me more details and we can get more specific

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:38 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

be aware that when the head is in the complete errect position the off image of the barrel is LEVEL WITH THE REAL IMAGE CAUSING SOME CONFUSION ON RIGHT TO LEFT TARGETS FOR RIGHT HANDERS AND THE OPPOSIT FOR LEFTIES......WHEN THE HEAD TILTS JUST A LITTLE THE OFF BARREL FALLS BELOW THE LEVEL OF THE REAL IMAGE....THIS IS A GREAT ADVANTAGE IN SHOOTING CROSSERS AND LONG SHOTS.....BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR...GA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

When I mount my gun to my face to get proper eye/rib alignment (with some head tilt), the heel is high on my shoulder. If I mount the gun to the proper position in the shoulder pocket, I have to bend my head uncomfortably low to get the proper eye/rib alignment. Both scenarios result in cheek slap. Will a large drop at heel or a Monte Carlo stock help this gun fit problem ? Although my impression is stocks with a large drop at heel will recoil into the face as well.

The dimensions of my current stock are 1 3/8 x 1 7/8 x 15 1/4. I have a fair amount of cast off as well, but the left/right alignment is good.

Post subject: Stock Fit
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:45 am 
Diamond Grade

Gil Ash wrote:
be aware that when the head is in the complete errect position the off image of the barrel is LEVEL WITH THE REAL IMAGE CAUSING SOME CONFUSION ON RIGHT TO LEFT TARGETS FOR RIGHT HANDERS AND THE OPPOSIT FOR LEFTIES......WHEN THE HEAD TILTS JUST A LITTLE THE OFF BARREL FALLS BELOW THE LEVEL OF THE REAL IMAGE....THIS IS A GREAT ADVANTAGE IN SHOOTING CROSSERS AND LONG SHOTS.....BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR...GA

Do you mean that for a right handed shooter the left eye is slightly lower than the right? Is that the tilt you are referring to?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:04 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

hi rib
you are correct on all accounts....check the pitch on the cheek slap...... and the tilt i refer to is left eye slightly higher than right......the delimma you find yourslef in can be caused by standing too irrect also hard to give you answer without seeing you and putting you on the trygun....will share this with you....any number of times we have had shooters come to us with adj cheek pieces and butt pads and they have adjusted them to "fit them" standing straight up and head level and are expierenceing cheek slap and they cant firgure it out....well they have the butt dropped all most all the way down and the comb raised up so they can stand straight up when they shoot.....be aware we see so many shooters that have adjusted the gun to POOR SHOOTING STANCE AND FORM because they have read some article somewhere that said they should shoot standing up and with their eyes parallel to the horrizon .....well we dont agree with that and in fact couldnt disagree more....would like to see you shoot the gun and could then offer suggestions.....another thing to look at for cheek slap is the wide combs that come on some guns.....the common fix by the sellor is to "roll your head forward so your eyes can line up with the beads.....well we gotta tell you that position along with pressing down to get the proper sight picture will not ever work and will hurt you when shooting.....where are you located and maybe we can get together sometime this year when we are traveling....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thank you for your help. I think the tips on proper body position may address some of the problems I am having.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:42 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

please lemeno what you end up finding out...really interested....GA