CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Few Questions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

This is my first post here. I am returning to the world of trap shooting after an 18 year break. I stopped at 16 because girls and cars got in the way! (What was I thinking?) Anyway, I used to shoot 96 97 pretty consistent with an 11-87, AA Win, 209 Win primers, 18grs of 700x, 8 petal windjammer wad, 1 1/8 7 1/2 shot. I have a ton of supplies left that are 20 yrs. old. My questions are...
1. Are the components still good? (There are no clumps in the powder and it smells fine)
2. Is this a decent recipe?
3. Is the shot produced now different? All my bags say chilled nothing else.
There is a lot more info out there than 18 yrs. ago. If it’s still a decent recipe I can’t see getting new unless you guys think they are not good. Should I continue after it runs out which will be a while?
I know some guys complain about reloading the 8 petal but I never had a problem before. I have a 366 loader and they never gave me a problem like I have read others have had. Any info that you could give would be appreciated!
Bryan

Post subject: Re: A Few Questions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:48 pm 
Crown Grade

Fire8702 wrote:
This is my first post here. I am returning to the world of trap shooting after an 18 year break. I stopped at 16 because girls and cars got in the way! (What was I thinking?) Anyway, I used to shoot 96 97 pretty consistent with an 11-87, AA Win, 209 Win primers, 18grs of 700x, 8 petal windjammer wad, 1 1/8 7 1/2 shot. I have a ton of supplies left that are 20 yrs. old. My questions are...
1. Are the components still good? (There are no clumps in the powder and it smells fine)
2. Is this a decent recipe?
3. Is the shot produced now different? All my bags say chilled nothing else.
There is a lot more info out there than 18 yrs. ago. If it’s still a decent recipe I can’t see getting new unless you guys think they are not good. Should I continue after it runs out which will be a while?
I know some guys complain about reloading the 8 petal but I never had a problem before. I have a 366 loader and they never gave me a problem like I have read others have had. Any info that you could give would be appreciated!
Bryan

It's a fairly heavy load for trap, but will work just fine. As long as the powder has not be abused by being stored in a hot attic or something like that, it should be good to go. Typically, most shooters today use magnum shot instead of chilled. The difference is that there is slightly more antimony (or possibly some other alloy) in the lead to make it harder. This is supposed to give less shot deformation when the shell is fired. With modern one-piece plastic wads with shot cups, there is little to no deformation from scrubbing on the barrel, but there is still deformation from set-back forces when the shell is fired.

I'd load up that shot and use it up. You will be horrified by the price of lead today as compared to 18 years ago!

Incidentally, many trap/clays/skeet shooters have gone to 1 oz. and even lighter shot weights. I regularly shoot trap with 1 oz. and skeet with 3/4 oz. from a 20 ga. These lighter loads are easier on the shoulder and the pocketbook.

Welcome back to the sport and to this forum. There a number of really good guys here that are glad to help.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:48 pm 
Crown Grade

1. The only stuff that would go bad is the powder, and if it smells good then it's good. I've used plenty of components far older than that. As long as it was stored properly, it's probably good to go.
2. Your recipe is a classic heavy trap load, load 'em up. If you want another 55 shots per bag of lead, drop to 1-oz. But then you'll more than likely have to consider another wad, which will defeat your purpose of using the components you have on hand.
3. Your shot is chillin' 8). It's perfectly good for anything short of the highest levels of competition.

Do yourself a favor and do not price reloading supplies if you have a heart condition, especially lead shot. Just have fun re-discovering reloading. Once you start running out of supplies and have to restock, you might end up reconsidering.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:58 am 
Crown Grade

use up the components you have to get back in the swing of things.

there have been many new powders come out in the past 18 years, others here can give you the specs of them.

your components are good, if they have been stored right. check the wads havent gone brittle in sunlight.
there is some great advice on dropping 1oz instead of the full 1,1/8oz. you save alittle and your shoulder. most here shoot 7/8oz loads to make it cheaper.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:58 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:07 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

I'll just add my recommendation, use the stuff up just like you used to load them. Powder is far more stable than folks give it credit for. Don't let it get hot, don't let it get cold, yada, yada, yada!

700-X is a great powder even today yet. I don't care if it was stored in a hot attic, it'll be fine. I'd bet heavy coin on that.

The wads would be my biggest concern. If they are still pliable and not discolored, the two go hand in hand, load them and use them. I wouldn't buy any more, I'd start loading 1 oz loads, in fact I have.

Chill shot is fine, just load all that stuff up and shoot it, it'll work just as well as it did 18 years ago.

BP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

All my wads are fine, they have been stored in a rubbermaid container and have not seen the light of day in a long time. They look as new as the day I bought them. You guys were right! I think my heart stopped when I saw the price of a bag of shot.
Bryan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Fire8702 wrote:
You guys were right! I think my heart stopped when I saw the price of a bag of shot.
Bryan

Now you now why everyone is going (or has already gone) to 1 oz, then 7/8 oz and now some even to 3/4 oz.

I have loaded up a lot of stuff (powder, primers, and wads ) at least as old as your stuff and never had a problem. Load it up and shoot it. When you get ready to buy components think seriously about something like:

Remington hull (Gun Clubs and Sport loads are fine)
Fiocchi or Noblesport primers
18 grains of Promo
CB1100 wad and 1 oz of #8
OR
CB1078 wad and 7/8 of #8

Price this out compared to the 1 1/8 of 7 1/2 and 700X that you are used to and the savings will become obvious. Go out and shoot some of these and you will find they do get the job done. Yeah I know, 30 years ago only women and kids shot 7/8 or one ounce loads. With today's price of lead a whole lot of people have made the switch. {hs#