Shotgun Forum banner

Opinions on Pistol Grip Shotguns

3K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  mewall 
#1 ·
Do they make the gun worse, better? Improve, or decrease accuracy? What are your guys opinions on pistol grips performance and comfort levels on shotguns.

#5 ·
The open pistol grip or Prince of Wales stock shape works much better for me than the straight English stock. The fact that I'm up in my 70's and have lost some of my flexibility, plus the fact that most of my shooting in the last 60 years has been rifles may contribute to that preference. Stock shape on SXS shotguns seems to generate a lot more emotion, especially from the straight stock, double trigger crowd, than other types of shotguns. I'm a pragmatist who has shot enough clay targets and game birds to know that POW and single triggers on my SXS's works best for me. The target style pistol grip on my Citori and BT-99 are fine for skeet and trap with a pr-mounted gun, but feel a little clumsy on a quick mount to a flushing bird.

If you prefer the pistol grip stock, you're in good company. Jack O'connor and Col Charles Askins both shot sxs's of the pistol grip configuration. I think they were serious users, and I'd like to think that I am too, despite opinions to the contrary.

My advice would be to shoot guns of both configuration and evaluate which works best for you. If you like the English straight stock, double trigger guns better, you'll have a nicer selection of light game guns to choose from. If the pistol grip/POW, and single trigger suit you better, here's a list of SXS's that work for me. Browning BSS, S&W Elite Gold,CZ Ringneck, Ithaca SKB-100 and 200, AYA Matador and model 100, various Zabala built SXS's with POW, SST and semi-beavertail forend such as the BSA Classic. The Ringneck is the only one in current production, but I have had guns built similar to the Ringneck by DeHaan Shotguns (Huglu Custom Shop) and recently went through Lion Country Supply to get a Ugartechea model 257 sidelock built with POW and single trigger. It's all about what works for you.

#11 ·
Slugo said:
i think actual pistol grips are stupid on any long gun. Can you imagine an M1 Garand with a pistol grip! LOLOL...
Actually, yes. Check out an M14E2. It was a issue service rifle.

#13 ·
Pistol grip with a stock can be a benefit depending on personal preference. I like having one with an m4 stock for HD and general use. It gives me the option for shooting from the hip or the shoulder when close quarters require it, and I just prefer the way the gun balances.

Can't imagine a use for pistol grip and no stock.

#18 ·
I have shot a birdshead PGO, and it was quite usable. The only issue is that it really has to be shot from the hip. That was easier to do accurately than it sounds, but only at closer ranges.

I could imagine some real but very limited applications for one, like a tent gun in big predator country.

The birdshead makes recoil manageable. A regular pistol grip, not so much.

Consider that a buckshot load probably has at least twice the recoil in a PGO shotgun, as a .475 Linebaugh revolver. Many handgunners consider the Linebaugh to be essentially unshootable, though some do manage. You won't get any argument that it's about the most anyone can manage, and shoot well enough to make it worth doing.

Here's some funny video, BTW. Guys testing out a new .600 Nitro Express pistol. Seriously.

#20 ·
I had never seen the gun so I looked it up on the Benelli site.
If your objective is to control the gun or rifle then a pistol grip is a tool to help you do that. Positioned properly even having one on the forearm is not a bad idea for a tactical gun or perhaps one used in the 3 gun competitions. Looks is a consideration for some but control and suitability for the application is probably much more important. Take a look at the 1100 competition synthetic with the Dick West stock. For me it is ideal, establishing your grip on the gun is similar to reaching out and shaking someones hand, no binding, no flexing, just close the hand. My experience on the trap range is very limited so I have had no experience with the more conventional approach stock design. Decide your objective for the shooting, and then build the tool to do that shooting...... Larry

#21 ·
Well, I guess you mean a stock that's a pistol grip but also with a butt on it. I myself find them ugly looking, but anyone who has shot an AK as much as I have will appreciate how they operate. Simply put, they got the feel and comfort of a pistol, but also the butt to let your shoulder absorb the recoil instead of your wrist and space between your thumb and index finger.

#25 ·
Some more expensive dedicated turkey guns have AR-like stock designs, for the reason stockranger points out.

The pistol grip allows for better ergonomics when you're seated.

Shotguns and rifles are quite different. In a rifle, one asks what the target will be, and chooses a caliber. In a shotgun, one asks what the target will be, and chooses shape and weight.

#26 ·
stockranger pointed out some of them. Deer hunting is also a fine use for this style of stock. It does make shooting off hand (left hand for me) much easier. It also helps steady your aim when shooting off hand. It also makes holding the gun on target for longer times easier and more comfortable.

They are not the best for shooting flying birds for most people. I will say that I have taken more than a few flying game with my SteadyGrip (pistol grip stock) SBE turkey model. It's far from my first choice for flying game since I shoot better with a standard stock for that type of use.

I really like this pistol grip stocks for tactical models as well. It is very natural feeling in the point/assult position. It also allows greater grip and control of the firearm for this type of application.

I myself have two pistol grip shotguns. They are specialized models and I like them a lot for their intended uses. I will say that my turkey model works eqaully well for predator hunting and even short range deer hunting with buck shot or rifled slugs. With a fully rifled barrel and scope on my SBE, it would be fine for deer at any range for sabot and fully rifled barrel guns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.