CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester model 1400 MK II 2 3/4 chamber
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:00 pm 
Anyone know what this gun might be worth. It's in good shape, and has a regular barrel.

Post subject: Re: Winchester model 1400 MK II 2 3/4 chamber
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:12 pm 
Field Grade

not a whole lot. All, and I mean ALL of Winchester's new shotguns are garbage. It only holds two shells in the magazine. They are, by far, some of the worst shotguns on the market today. Hell, I'd buy a Mossberg before I'd buy a Winchester. Now I'm talking about the 1200, 1300, 1400, and anything else in that series. I don't anything know about the Super X, but I can practical guarantee that it's piece-of-sh*t as well. Believe it or not, but the 1200 was actually the successor to the great Model 12. Looking for a semi-auto, buy a Remington 11-87. The Browning A-5 is a good gun, as well. In used condition, either can be had for less than $400 at decent gun shops or at gun shows.

Don't buy a Winchester 1200, 1300, or 1400 unless you just want something to keep in your shop or you don't plan on using it alot. They're not very good guns for actual hunting, just something to keep in the barn for when you see a stray cat. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

The Winchester 1400 is worth from $150 to $175. I purchased a NIB for $175, but after reading of the problems with this gun I sold it right away.

This is not a high volume shooter. However, if I had just a tad bit of gunsmithing experience I wouldn't mind owning one of these. They have replacement parts kits for this gun, and when they break it is always the same parts. How much worse than a 1100 could it be? I don't know.

Post this over on Gunsmithing forum and see if Ron will come forward with what goes wrong with this gun.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

The 1400 is an ok gun for field use. They are light enough for a upland or clays untill you can find a better gun. If by "regular barrel" you mean a plain no rib barrel then tops would be $185 for me. Personally I would only ever buy one for a deer gun that would be hunted in thick brush. They go for $150-$300 but I would never pay more than $225 with a 28" vent rib and winchokes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:22 pm 
Field Grade

RemingtonII wrote:
How much worse than a 1100 could it be?

From a gunsmithings standpoint, alot worse. But that's good for me: when some guy brings it in, says he can open it all the way, I know exactly what's wrong with it. the firing pin shot out the back of the bolt carrier and jammed the gun up. Well, that's a new firing that I buy for wholesale and sell for retail, plus the time it takes to install it (not very long). Winchester 1200, 1300, and 1400 shotguns are a gunsmith's best friend.

Competition makes business more effecient, but not when it comes to Winchester. Instead, they just sell there cheap shotguns cheap.

Post subject: Reply to replies: Winchester model 1400 MK II 2 3/4 chamber
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:12 am 
Thanks for the info. I did a search on Google, and the few sites that mentioned this particular model ran from $300.00 to $575 still in the box.
I thought that was a tad high, but this was from guys who were trying to sell them, so I assume they want a few bucks more than they're worth.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:32 am 
Diamond Grade

Johnny and Jasper: Johnny, this gun sells frequently on www.gunbroker.com and on auctionsarms.com. The gun will run about $20 to $25 higher at this time of the year due to the hunting season being active. You can see for youself, and use the search to plug into the last 90 days, and actually click on the sales to see which ones were consummated, in order for you to get a realistic expectation of price. Just because somebody "asks" $300 doesn't $300 the market make.

Here is something you may find helpful in your search for a semi-auto shotgun. There are only three shotguns PROVEN to take high volume rounds. That would be Browning, Remingon, and Beretta. I am talking about 100,000 rounds. Other guns may be able to do this, but only three have PROVEN themselves in this regard in large numbers.

However, if you are going to shoot 150 rounds a year hunting, will a Winchester 1400 do the job? Well, I would think so as would a lot of other semi-auto shotguns. All shotguns have problems and part of shooting semi-autos is understanding the problems of your particular shotgun. I have an acquantaince who loves old semi-auto shotguns, and HE NEVER HAS PROBLEMS. Why? He knows the problems of the respective shotguns and he replaces the parts that cause those problems on schedule. So if a Win 1400 throws firing pins, replace the part before it happens. There are three problems with this gun (1400), but you can identify the problems by the parts kits they sell for the gun. Just keep in mind that all guns have to have parts replaced...some just more often than others.

The Remington 1100 was pretty much the demise for the Win 1400, but I like the Win 1400 because you can buy them commonly for $150 at any pawn shop (holds limited shells). Too much is made of the problems of shotguns for the most part, and a person really does have to learn how to fix his own shotgun and what are the problems you are expected to incur, and the smiths know EXACTLY what will go wrong with your Win 1400, and a good smith will tell you how to prepare for that eventuality.

Jasper, as far as your disparaging comments about the Winchester company, on this forum we like our smiths to not be judgmental but use discernment, when they post on the forum.

For example, you might tell Johnny that the Win 1400 is a high maintenance gun, in your opinion, and there are three things that gunsmiths have to fix frequently on the gun, and here are the intervals at which they occur, and here is where you can buy parts kits for the gun.

Although the Win 1200 had some problems after introduction in the 1960s, Winchester solved those problems on their pumps, and their current pump, the 1300 has an extremely low repair rate for a mass produced gun. The 1300 is one of the finest pump guns every manufactured for reliability and performance.
Again, if you disagree with those figures (from the industry), then you should post, with discernment, an identification of the problems you have experienced, when they occur and how a person could get a parts kit.

It's like with the Mossberg 500 family of shotguns. Do you know that the most repaired gun by gunsmiths is the Mossberg 500? That's right. Does that mean it is a lousy gun. NO WAY. It means that Mossberg sells more pumps than anybody else and by shere volume it shows up with gunsmiths more than any other gun. Mossberg sells about 1 million pumps every two years or so...of course it will show up for repair more often than other guns. Actually, there is little difference in repair between Rem, Win and Moss pumps, but Mossberg, as clankity as the damn thing sounds is the most reliable of them all...onlypump to pass the muster of military specifications for many years.

I have gone on much to long with this idea, but I just think it is important that reality is demonstrated in gun opinions. I like that there are $150 shotguns. I say show me the problems, and let's see if I am capable of dealing with them. I even like that there are Turk guns and Russian guns, and other low entry guns for new shooters, children and volunteer groups for youth shooting.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:05 am 
Thanks so much for all the info. It's very helpful, and I appreciate your time and trouble.
I checked that site, and the bidding starts around $125.00 to $150.00. However, if you want to buy it right now, it is closer to $300.00. I'll have to keep tabs on the auction and see how high it gets.
Thanks again. :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:45 am 
Diamond Grade

Johnny: Midwest Gun Works, www.midwestgunworks.com has a rebuild kit for a 20 guage Win 1400, and that will probably give you a good idea of the parts you can expect to fail. About $59.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

Two things: First, grizzly308@aol.com has a Sears Model 300 for $150, and he is in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area I think. Same gun as 1400 Winchester.

In addition, the rebuild kit at midwestgunworks.com was for both a 20 guage and 12 guage.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:39 pm 
Field Grade

RemingtonII wrote:
There are only three shotguns PROVEN to take high volume rounds. That would be Browning, Remingon, and Beretta.

Can't disagree there.

RemingtonII wrote:
So if a Win 1400 throws firing pins, replace the part before it happens.

The Winchester throws firing pins because of the way that they're held in place. The firing and the slide arm bridge hold each other in place. The only way to fix it is to drill a hole thru the slide arm bridge, into the bolt carrier and drive a roll pin into the hole.

RemingtonII wrote:
The 1300 has an extremely low repair rate for a mass produced gun. The 1300 is one of the finest pump guns every manufactured for reliability and performance.
Quote:

Extremely low repair rate? I believe you have the Model 1300 mistaked for the Model 12. I almost laughed when read the part about the Model 1300 being one of the finest pump guns ever manufactured. The 1300 is a terrible fiream. Keep in mind that's just my opinion, which was developed through knowledge.

RemingtonII wrote:
Do you know that the most repaired gun by gunsmiths is the Mossberg 500? That's right. Does that mean it is a lousy gun. NO WAY. It means that Mossberg sells more pumps than anybody else and by shere volume it shows up with gunsmiths more than any other gun.

It show up with gunsmiths more often than other guns because of cheap materials. If they had any sense they'd try to make a quality firearm. Remington beat Mossberg in the market for economically priced shotguns, that's why Mossberg came out with the Mavrick series of sh*tguns. They're the same as a 500 except they only have one action rail.

The Remington Model 870 has been made since 1949. Now, don't you think that there might be just few more Remingtons in service than Mossbergs? I certainly do.

RemingtonII wrote:
Mossberg, as clankity as the damn thing sounds is the most reliable of them all...onlypump to pass the muster of military specifications for many years.

It's the most reliable? Didn't you just say that the only three proven shotguns are: Browning, Remington, and Beretta? I didn't see Mossberg in there. The Remington 870 has passed military specs as well. As a matter of fact Remington makes up more than 90% of the shotguns used in the military. Mossberg represents only 4%.

Post subject: re: Winchester model 1400 MK II 2 3/4 chamber
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Somehow, Wayne Mayes won many NSSA skeet championships with his Model 1400. I don't have any details about his guns, but they seemed to work. I may buy one to see if he was mistaken in his confidence in this gun. He could have been wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:26 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a 1400 MKII, and it is the only semi-auto I have that has never failed to cycle, then again, it is not my most used gun. I use it for quail and occasional skeet since it has a fixed improved cylinder choke. I see them for sale between 175.00 - 275.00 on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ditto the above post. Some of my best sporting clays scores were gotten with a 1400. Go figure..... :)