Shotgun Forum banner

Value of Stevens Model 94C

133K views 117 replies 35 participants last post by  vwbcorbyc 
#1 ·
I have my father's Stevens Model 94C single shot, external hammer 12GA shotgun...I don't know anything about it other than it has been in the family as long as I can remember...any help would be appreciated...I did a search but did not come up with much.
Thanks,
Bill

Left side of barrel: Selected Forged Steel
Proof Tested 12 Gauge
---2 3/4 inch Chamber--
Side Plate Left Side: Stevens
Savage Arms Corporation
Chicopee Falls, Mass. U.S.A.

(possible 254 proof mark)

Plain wood, plain 28" blued barrel with bead front sight (no rib)
Side plates of receiver have a color case hardened (do I have that right???) look to it like the old west guns (done with bones I am told)
I don't think it is THAT old but it was my dad's (deceased) and I bet it was from the late '50s or early '60s...I just would like to know more about dad's gun (I can't beleive my older brother gave it to me after hearing of me renewed interest in shotguns)

Thanks, Again!
Bill

See less See more
Reactions: DAWN88
#2 ·
Wish I thought late 50's-early 60's was old :? I'm sure your dad's gun is priceless to you, but unfortunately to those outside your family it is nothing special. It is a good utility shotgun, nothing special to either collectors or hunters. Since a new singleshot can be bought for $80, the price of a used one has to be about 2/3 of that.

#3 ·
I did figure that it wasn't worth much cashwise...I just wanted to know ANYTHING about it...yeah, it pretty much is priceless to me...and I didn't mean anything by the late fifties early sixties remark but that's as far back as I go!
Thanks...I'll check the net for more info!

Oh, by the way...no serial number that I can see...the trigger guard appears to be black painted metal, not blued or case colored like the rest of the shotgun.
Bill

#5 ·
I just found on the web someone asking almost my very question...the response was possibly during the '50's as it has no serial number (that I could find) and the Chicopee Falls plant closed by 1960...sounds about right.
I was unable to find much more but it appears to be a "run of the mill" field grade single shot but it is a piece of my past and part of my family...I will just take it out admire it and recall my dad.
(I hope I don't recall the time it smacked me in the face, the first time I shot it)
If anyone comes up with anything further...please share!
Thanks, again
Bill

#6 ·
The Stevens 94's were pretty decent guns , they were used a lot by the Hardware gun trade. You got anything specific you'd like to know? Maybe I've already run across it at some point in time........

#7 · (Edited)
That will probably do...My dad was in the Army throughout the 60's and 70's (as well as the 40's n 50's) and it stayed in the back of his closet.
I don't recall him ever hunting with it and it looks very good with some small dings and minor scratches from handling...I had shot it maybe 10 years ago when I went hunting phesant for the 1st time...first time I shot it it slapped me hard (but taught me a lesson)
Anyway...I am still in shock a little as I got it from my older brother who has held it since my dad died in 1995...Brother wanted it soooo bad then but when he heard I was thinking about shooting some trap or going hunting (and I know he never will) he said, want dad's gun... :shock: sure says I and here I am...I just like thumbing the lever, cracking it open, and admiring it.
I guess I just wanted to try and figure when he bought it (so I could find out why he bought it...maybe when he was single prior to 1956 and anything about those guns but you answered that.)

Thanks for all the help :D 8)
Bill

#9 ·
I've got almost the exact clone to Silversport's shotgun...except mine is 16 *****, has always belonged to my brother and has something I've always called "Mickey Mouse Ears" attached to the end of the barrel.
It was a device made of rubber comprised of 3 rings that was supposed to help you bag more birds by showing you how much lead you needed to get the bird.
Always worked for my brother, never worked for me (I was forever using the wrong ring :roll: ).

Anyway, what little I could find out about it was that this is actually the SECOND version of that gun.
Here's what someone wrote about it, at WikiAnswers (this being a copy of an answer that was orignally given at an unnamed firearms forum)

"Savage bought Stevens in 1920. The Gun Trader's Guide says the Stevens 94 single-shot was made from 1939-1961(the Blue Book says 1929-discontinued.) Came in 12,16, 20,28,.410 with full choke bbls. from 26" to 36". $105.
The 94C from was made 1965 to date(it's a 1998 GTGuide.) $125. Same as the 94 except it has a checkered stock and a fluted forearm on the later production.
".

So there you go.

Since its a 94C, it can't date any older than 1965 (which would make mine an early version, backed up by the fact that stock on my gun is nothing like what is described above).
However, I checked Savage's website and they do not currently list a Model 94 ANYTHING, so the gun went out of production, sometime between 1998 and now (2010).

The "Mickey Mouse Ears" I aluded to before is an aftermarket item and not something that would've been a factory option for that gun.

Dean

#15 ·
UPDATE:

Since this thread is the first hit in a google search for this shotgun, I thought I'd add in some information that hasn't been discussed yet, in case someone else is looking for info on their Savage single shot.

I just realized that I have some older catalogues laying around the house, so I just pulled them out and, yep, there it is - The 1981 Savage catalogue.

On page 7, they show the model 311 SxS and the model 94-C (apparently there's a dash in there).
There's also mention of a more cost effective version of the 94, the 9478.

As described in an earlier post, the 94-C shown in the catalogue features the checkered pistol grip and fluted forearm stocks, but the 9478 shows the plain stocks, like my brother's gun.
(side note: the checkering seen on the pistol grip of both the 311 and the 94-C must've been a "standard" design, as it is the same one that was featured on the pistol grip of my Stevens 511 SxS).

The main difference between the two varients is in the location of the unlocking lever.
On the 94-C (and the original 94, I suppose), the lever is located on top of the receiver, just behind the hammer.
On the 9478, its a "button" (for lack of a better word) that is almost the same height as the trigger guard and located right in front of it.
In fact, it appears there is a slot in the front of the trigger guard of the 9478, that allows for that "button" to swing freely through the trigger guard.

The 9478 and the 94-C came in the same gauges/barrel lengths, except that the 9478 was not offered in 16 ga. and there was no 32" barrel option in 12 ga.
All options (except the youth options) were full choke.
Oddly enough, the 94-C is the "adult" version, but the youth version is listed as the "94-Y", so anyone who has a gun marked as such, now you know what that's all about.
According to the listed measurements everything is the same except the length of pull (14" vs. 12.5").

All 94-C's were tagged with an MSRP of $81.85, except the 12 ga. "Long Tom" version, which went for $83.60.
Oddly enough, the youth models were more expensive, being suggested @ $91.80 (what's wrong with that picture?!).
As per their "cost effective" status, the 9478's were a little cheaper.
Regular versions were all listed @ $75.60, regardless of gauges and barrel length (just like the 94-C).
Again, the youth model is more expensive @ $81.85 (???).
Apparently there were two "Long Tom" versions made for the 9478, one in 12 ga. and one in 10 Ga.
10 Ga. was $95.30 (!!!) and the 12 was listed at $77.50.

Weights are listed as follows:
10 & 12 Ga. "Long Tom" guns averaged 8.5 lbs.
All other Adult guns averaged 6-6.25 lbs.
Youth models averaged 5.5 lbs.

There is no mention that the 9478 was a new model in 1981. In fact, if I had to take a guess, I'd base it on the model designation and say its first year of production was 1978. HOWEVER, that is only speculatioin on my part and so far, further research has not determined an originating year of production for the 9478 varient.

Dean

#18 ·
94c...no dash on mine....received this shotgun on Dec 25 1953....has never parted my company since.....94c's were apparently in manfacture prior to this date.....this little 20 is the first out of my rack every fall for at least one trip to the field....it has fluffed up many critters....this year will go to the 10 yr old grandson......my point.....many could have been in use prior to 1958......oh yeah I still believe in the dude with the red britches.and coat....

#19 ·
Bob36,

Thanks for the info (and welcome to the forum! {hs# ).

So apparently, if I read the quote I posted earlier in this thread correctly ("The 94C from was made 1965 to date(it's a 1998 GTGuide.)..."), the 1998 Gun Trader's Guide lists incorrect manufacturing dates for the 94C.

This means the 94 and 94C (and possibly 94B, which I've seen a few references to recently) could've been made side-by-side for many years.

Now I'm wondering what the differences actually are between the variations.

Dean

#20 ·
Dean,

Dont know . There seems to be several series of the c. Never realy paid much attention to them. I had been subjected to several hand me down shot guns when I was a kid. Then received this one for Christmas just befor my 10th birthday. It still has 90% of the orig finish on it . Typical the triger guard is worn off some , its pot or gray metel. The color has worn off the bottem of the frame. But that is oil coloring as you know and is thin at best. I have a great reverance for singles and what they represent as meat on the table guns. I cant think of anywhere one(single barrel) was not handy and ready to go when I was a kid growing up in southern Ohio. Along with all the others , the 94 Stevens is a goodern. Still just a 100 dollar gun. And thanks for the welcome.

#21 ·
FWIW, the 2010 Standard Catalog of Firearms list typical values for Stevens Models 94, 94A and 94C as ranging from $ $25.-(poor) up to $ $150.-(Exc.) depending on the usual condition and demand criteria. The value of one handed down within one's family regardless of condition could be priceless.

Sorry, don't know the differences between the 94 and A, B & C versions. Perhaps Ned Fall and researcher01 can educate us on that.

Montani Semper Liberi

#22 ·
BOB36 said:
Dean,

Dont know . There seems to be several series of the c. Never realy paid much attention to them. I had been subjected to several hand me down shot guns when I was a kid. Then received this one for Christmas just befor my 10th birthday. It still has 90% of the orig finish on it . Typical the triger guard is worn off some , its pot or gray metel. The color has worn off the bottem of the frame. But that is oil coloring as you know and is thin at best. I have a great reverance for singles and what they represent as meat on the table guns. I cant think of anywhere one(single barrel) was not handy and ready to go when I was a kid growing up in southern Ohio. Along with all the others , the 94 Stevens is a goodern. Still just a 100 dollar gun. And thanks for the welcome.
For sure, Bob.
It doesn't have to be fancy, it just has to work.
I didn't know there were several series of the "C".
I've heard of the 94, 94A, 94B, 94C and 94BT, although I don't know what separates one from the other, but I also didn't know there were several series of each variation.
My '81 catalogue only lists a 94-C and a 9478, so maybe the others were already out of production by the time that catalogue was printed.

Dean

#23 ·
Alrighty now! This is my first posting in this forum so bear with me ... 8)

Hello, my name is Charlie. I make this sound like a AA meeting ... :p

My family and I currently have a .22 bolt action Springfield from my daddy that he bought back in '39 or so so he could hunt squirrel, rabbit, and armadillo growing up in South Texas. There is a good story there, ... for a later posting!

I am a newbie to the firearm ownership, but not the idea. I have no worries with or about guns. I believe in the 2nd Amendment and such. I am just new, very new to the inner workings and the anatomy of a gun. I am very interested in learning!

My posting revolves around this Stevens/Savage Model 94(x). I have a "Wards Texas Ranger Model 20" 12 gauge single shot shotgun with a 2 3/4" tube. My understanding is that this "is" a Stevens/Savage 94 model.

The stampings/markings on this one are:
"21" stamped in a small circle on the main frame in the upper right corner on the right hand side
"Proof Tested 12 gauge" stamped on the right side of loading end of barrel

After much diggin' in around the Net I believe the variations of the model have the letter designation pertaining to the gauge and/or major options of that particular model. I have looked for a "94" model and find an SAVAGE/STEVENS/SPRINGFIELD 94, 94B, 94C, 94H, 94Y SER K,M & P ... and such as that.

From what I gather, my guess is:
94 -> 12 gauge
94 A-> 12 gauge, possible different barrel/choke size?
94 B-> 16 gauge
94 C -> 20 gauge
94 D -> .410 gauge

The "Y" seems to be for the "youth" version. Others, I dunno yet. I am sure there will be slight variations within the letters of the model themselves for whoever was the primary seller of that shotgun trying to be different than the "other guy".

All this is my speculation, of course, and if you think I am wrong/right please let me know. I am here for the learning ... :) Can anyone shed more light on this for me?

I also have another SS shotgun, a 16 gauge. I have no idea of this one's model #. "Springfield" is the only name on it.
Other stampings/marks on it is as follows:
"Springfield, Savage Arms Corporation, Chicopee Falls Mass. U.S.A." stamped with no model number
A small arrow or tree symbol just above the forward trigger guard on left side
A "0" or a larger "O" stamped on bottom side of barrel directly under the forearm
"Selected Forged Steel" stamped on the upper right side of loading end of barrel
"Proof Tested - 16 gauge, - 2 3/4 Inch Chamber - " stamped on the upper left side of loading end of barrel
"Patent No. 2288901" raised on the underside of stock just to the side of the trigger

I hope I can find info and replacement parts for these. Thanks in advance for any help/info.

Charlie

#24 ·
Charlie,

Welcome to the forum.
The first gun you mention is the same as a Stevens-Savage 94.
The second gun could also be a 94.
Does it have an external hammer?
If not, it may be a Savage 220, which was a hammerless version of a 94.
Some were sold under the "Springfield" name, as well as "Springfield-Savage" and "Springfield-Westernfield".
The letter designation denoting gauge is not a correct assumption.
Case in point - my brother has owned a Stevens-Savage 94C since the mid 60's and it has always been a 16 ga. shotgun.
Hoever, my '81 Savage catalogue does mention that the "youth" version of the 94-C is noted as model "94-Y".
"Y" in the model number for most guns denotes a "youth" model, regardless of maker and/or model.

Dean

#25 ·
Forgive me for my errors. I have since found an exploded view of a "94C .410 shotgun" so maybe the number (94) would be the first of a line/model of gun while the letter (C) would be the "style" of that model of gun? Since the 94C now I find comes in 16, 20, and .410 gauges ... :)

Again, forgive my Newbie-ness, hamerless? I would assume the hammer in question is the part that I have to cock back so when I pull the trigger it hits the firing pin, am I correct? If so then is that the external hammer. If this is a correct assumption then how does a hammerless fire the pin? Newbie here .... :)

Thanks for all the help and education,

Charlie

#26 ·
Charlie,

Yes, the "hammer" is the part that actually strikes the firing pin, when the trigger is pulled.

I could explain what "hammerless" means, but maybe its easier to show you.

...External Hammer...

See the little tang sticking up near the top fo the receiver? That's the hammer.

...hammerless...

Note that the little tang cannot be seen. This style is known as "hammerless", although it is there. Its just inside of the receiver.

...and what's a receiver? That's the metal box-like structure that the barrel rests inside of and that the trigger and hammer are connected to.
Think of it as the "business district" of a gun. All the mechanisms that allow the gun to fire are located inside of the receiver.

Dean