Shotgun Forum banner

Versa Max problem

13K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  dhunter777 
#1 ·
I have recently bought a versa max, and I am having a problem with it. I took it apart the first time sunday and when I put it back together I was going to feed a few shells through it to make sure everything still worked properly but when I tried this the shell would get hung up down on the feeder bracket and would not chamber so i took it outside to see if it would feed the shells when I shot it and it would feed them with no problems then, it is only happening when I am manually feeding the shells into the chamber when it hangs. Has anyone else ever had this problem? I contacted remington which has very good customer service and they want me to send it in.

#2 ·
You are going to have to be very specific with the type of malfunction, parts identification, and how you operated it by hand, use the owners manual for parts reference. So it worked fine before you got to it(took it apart)? Then take it apart and find out what you did. There is a step by step procedure for testing the fire controls in the owners manual. And if your riding(not allowing it to close by itself under spring pressure) the bolt closed with your hand that can cause feeding problems.

#3 ·
When I am unloading the gun, with one in the chamber and two inside the magazine, I eject the shell and press the feed latch release button, it will feed the shell onto the carrier but then the carrier will not feed it up into the chamber, and when it gets stuck in the carrier the bolt hangs up when its pulled all the way back. but like I said when I shoot it, it feeds every shell through it.

#5 ·
With a round in the chamber and two in the magazine, when you pull the bolt back, the round in the chamber should be ejected, and the bolt will not/ should not stay open! with the bolt closed on the empty chamber, pressing the release will put a shell on the carrier, allowing you to pull the bolt back and letting it go, chambering the shell on the carrier. If it doesn't operate like I described above, you are either operating it incorrectly, or have something put together wrong.

#6 ·
sounds like you are unloading it incorrectly; release a shell from the mag first like this.

with a shell in the chamber and two in the magazine, push the shell release button releasing a shell onto the carrier, pull the operating handle back ejecting the shell from the chamber and let the operating handle go....push the shell release again and pull the operating handle again and let it go.....pull the handle again and the third shell is removed.
Do not baby it, pull the bolt back all the way and let it go!!

#8 ·
Virginian said:
When you pull the bolt back manually the bolt is SUPPOSED to stay to the rear. You push the carrier latch button to release it. Sounds 100% normal to me.
sorry Virginian, but the VM bolt will only stay to the rear if the shell release button is pushed and no shell is present on the carrier.
if the gun is completely empty and you pull the bolt back it will not stay back.
If it is empty and you push the shell latch release and then pull the bolt back it will remain back until the slide release button is pushed.

jsav6 needs to let the bolt slam shut under its own power once a shell is released from the magazine.
He should also check for any aluminum trigger housing interference/rubbing that may be causing friction between it and the steel carrier where it hinges and remove/polish any shiny places smooth that are rubbing. I have seen this on several guns.
Shooting the hell out of it will do this smoothing as well:)

#9 ·
TuJays said:
sounds like you are unloading it incorrectly; release a shell from the mag first like this.

with a shell in the chamber and two in the magazine, push the shell release button releasing a shell onto the carrier, pull the operating handle back ejecting the shell from the chamber and let the operating handle go....push the shell release again and pull the operating handle again and let it go.....pull the handle again and the third shell is removed.
Do not baby it, pull the bolt back all the way and let it go!!
I am doing that and when i go to let the bolt go it will not close because the shell is hung up on the carrier, now with that being said I can push the carrier up on the bottom of the shotgun, then it will feed the shell into the chamber. I have talked to remington and did everything the way he told me to do it and it still hangs up on the carrier and not feeding the shell onto the bolt making the bolt stay all the way open until I push the carrier up to feed the shell. It is like the carrier is getting stuck.

#10 ·
it is getting stuck because it is rubbing on the aluminum trigger plate. Remove the trigger group and look closely at the area where the carrier moves up and down around the aluminum trigger plate. I guarantee it is making contact and has polished off a spot, usually on the side as you lift the carrier up.

#12 ·
jsav6 said:
Yep that is the exact spot where it is hanging up and I did notice a few little rough spots right there where you are talking about.
steal you wife's nail file and polish it up....or shoot it a couple of hundred times.

#16 ·
Excellent!!
I have on numerous occasions brought this issue to Remington's attention, as I believe they have a small aluminum die casting problem pertaining to the trigger housing.
I have suggested that their "dies" are built wrong...they say they are not.
I have suggested that their "dies" are out of specifications.....they say they are not:)
So, I suggested that their specifications are not correct......do I have to type their answer :mrgreen:
one day soon a light will come on and they will make the necessary corrections {hs#

never argue with a engineer, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience; besides arguing with a engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, eventually you realize that the pig likes it!

The VM is a excellent firearm that will be around for many decades to come, couple that with Remington's unmatched customer service and you have a great combination. In their defense they have paid attention to the VM topic I started, and to the several suggestions I have made, but there is still room for product improvement and a huge need for accessory options.
We are strongest when we fully realize our weaknesses, admit we have them, and take the necessary actions to correct them.
This holds true in all aspects of life...including shotguns.

#18 ·
I have had mine for a year now and noticed it getting smoother up to about 1500 rounds.
When it was new I could release the bolt and hold the bolt handle and slowly close it, the rotating bolt wouldn't lock. Now it takes a very steady hand to get it to do the same, and any quick movement, or jar and it clicks shut. Seams to be just the opposite of the Benelli click.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.