Shotgun Forum banner

Browning Citori 725 Sporting

34K views 77 replies 30 participants last post by  Kwakerman 
#1 ·
This is my first post here, after reading many threads, I can see that you folks know a lot. That being said, after 7 years, I am ready to step up from my entry level sporting clays TriStar o/u 12 ga. to the new Browning Citori 725 sporting model 12 ga. This seems to be the gun I'm looking for. The thing is that it is so new and so scarce, I haven't heard any reviews on this gun. I am leaning towards the 30" barrel, but a lot of people are saying the 32" is the way to go. Before I plunk down $2800.00, I would really appreciate any input from this forum. :?: By the way, my TriStar is a 30", and I am 6'4" 235 lbs.

#28 ·
What is Browning paying you....and if nothing , you need to re-up on your contract? :?:

#29 ·
Handled a 32" 725 sporting today along with a 32" CG Summit sporting. Being that a Browning 325 has been my primary gun for the last 17 years, I can honestly say that right out of the box the 725 feels lighter and seems to be better balanced from front to back, although I have added some weight to my 325 stock to offset some of that heavy barrel feel common on the older models. The 725 feels a like it would be somewhat livelier in the swing dynamics, however not sure that would be any advantage for me personally. Either way I'm not going to part ways with my 325 anytime soon just to get the latest from Browning.

Another observation I had concerning the Summit sporting comparison... the 725 felt better in my hands than the Summit sporting, not sure if it was the balance or what, just had a better feel to me from an initial handling.

#30 ·
the 725 is a superior gun to the CG Summit Sporting. The CG may be prettier, but that is where it ends. The new Browning action, mechanical triggers, overall design and balance is lightyears ahead of the CG...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#31 ·
Aside from all of those attributes you stated of the 725 over the CG, the feel in your hands is what sets it apart for me, which to me is the most important aspect. However, when it comes to actually shooting both I couldn't give you an opinion either way, maybe someday I'll get the chance. :D

#32 ·
let's be honest, if CG didn't offer a 10 year warranty and three free pit stops, would you actually pay their price for one? Run of the mill Italian design, not even close to Beretta. Reminds me of Hyundai with their 100,000 mile warranty. Without it, would you really buy one!?! I think not...

#33 ·
I bought a 32" 725 Sporting when they became available in January and really, really, like it. I first had a 30" O/U Beretta White Onxy Sporting a few years ago, then a 32" CG Summit Limited, then the Browning, and I prefer the 725 over the others. The CG felt barrel heavy to me and shot too high.The 725 just feels right to me and swings well. I currently have 4000 targets thru it. At the Texas State Sporting Clays Championship a couple of weeks ago, I noticed some other shooters that were using a 725.

#34 ·
clayshooter55 said:
The CG felt barrel heavy to me and shot too high.
That's exactly how it felt to me when I handled it. Nothing a little weight in the stock couldn't fix, but the 725 felt much better right out of the box.

How is the fit?

I thought the fit looked just about right. A little different rib then my 325, but the sight plane looked the same.

#36 ·
Actually Slugo, The Standard Summit Sporting wasn't any prettier, in fact less so to my eyes than the 725 when I looked at them side to side.

In regards to pros shooing CG. I surely wouldn't base my decision on buying one simply on that. I'm sure if CG was willing to fully sponsor a shooter, someone would be shooting one. Just a guess though.. :)

#39 ·
I have shot the 625 and 725 extensively. IMHO, I preferred the 725 with 32" barrels. I have always like 32 in barrels for everything, even skeet but of course I lean towards FITASC, 5 stand and sporting clays. I shoot left handed and shot a 725 RH for about 300 rounds on a sporting clays course. Shot a 86, 82, and 88, not bad for first time using an unfamiliar RH gun. It is a nice gun and cheaper and lighter than a 625. Recoil doesn't really bother me but of course im 5'6" at 225 and can bench 365 :)

#41 ·
I love my 725 sporting. I handled a lot of guns before I bought it and I couldn't be happier. Alot of the regulars at the club always ask to try my gun and all of they all liked it. Most of these guys are Blaser, CG and Krieghoff shooters. Its a quality sporting gun that's affordable to a lot of people.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#42 ·
New personal best for someone who has only shot sporting clays 5 times.... 75/100 with the 725 sporting. Now, that was with me shooting true pairs when I shouldn't have.

Worked a ton better now that I got a hold of another skeet choke and light mod choke.

Used Rem Premier Nitro 1 1/8oz #8

#43 ·
uncle-buck said:
Borrow or rent one and shoot it before buying.
You can get a pretty similar experience renting a 525 or 625, even an XS.

I shoot 30" bbls (I'm 5'7") and love the way they feel. 28"s feel short for me. With your height, you'd probably do well with 32" bbls...

#44 ·
I have had a new 725 Sporting for about 2 months now and I am delighted with it. I shoot mostly Skeet (American) but have also tried it at the trap field - and have enjoyed it immensely.

I compared the 725 carefully with the Cynergy - and teh 725 won out for me. Mine is 12 Ga with 30: barrels. The Hi-Viz sight system (front post, ivory mid bead) and low profile receiver enable an excellent sight picture of the top rail.

The drop in comb is a relatively flat 1 9/16". Still if you have a short neck you may want the adjustable comb model which is just now hitting Browning dealers (July 2012). I will be having an aftermarket (Graco) adjustable comb installed on mine.

The ported barrels and Inflex recoil pad system are both excellent in reducing felt recoil - I shoot mostly generic Federal 1 1/8 oz target loads - and it feel like shooting a 20ga in other guns. Its that good and effective.

The walnut stock in medium brown had beautiful grain and precise CNC and laser cut checkering that is aggressive and an ample right hand shooter palm swell. 3 triggers are included in the box as well as a selection of front sight post inserts.

The Invector DS choke system works as advertised - no fouling in the barrel threads at all. The extended chokes look beautiful and really set off the gun visually.

LOP - adjustable by he trigger. Interesting that early gun magazine reviewers and the European model of this gun (B725) all had LOP stock spacers included in the box by Browning. There are no such spacers in the American Market boxes. The spacers are available from Browning customer service sales for $3.00 for each 1/4" spacer (each spacer is actually 7mm). These spacers fit perfectly between the wood stock and the Inflex recoil pad and look/match fine with the gun overall. The spacers stack together neatly - when using 2 or 3 spacers they look as if it is one. These spacers are the same part that come in the box with the Maxus and A5 shotguns.

The stock spacers are Browning part # B1181097AA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.