Shotgun Forum banner

J.Stevens 38A and Stevens 820B

25K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  shoki 
#1 ·
Due to a recent death in the family, I have recently been handed down to me two shotguns and I'm having a hard time finding info about them.

The first is a bolt action .410. I can't find a serial number on it anywhere, unless disassembly is required. The only thing on it says"J. Stevens Arms Company Model 38A, Chicopee Falls, Mass. .410 bore proof tested" and closer to the receiver it says that it can take 2 1/2 & 3 inch shells. There is also a small diamond marking with small lines coming of three of its faces. Some of the stock's finish is worn away, but most of the blueing is still good, except for the bolt which has no blueing.

The second is a 12 *****. Again, no serial number can be found, unless disassembly is required. The markings say it is a "Stevens Model 820B" but it also says "Savage Arms Corporation, Chicopee Falls Mass., USA." This would lead me to believe that it was made after 1920, per the Savage Arms website, which states that was the year that Savage bought J. Stevens Arms. It also says proof tested for 2 3/4 inch chamber. The only other marking I can find is a "U" with what looks like a tiny fishlike symbol next to it. The finish on the stock and pump have almost no wear, and the blueing is mostly intact except around the moving parts, such as the pump and the internal parts of the receiver.

While I do have a slight interest in the value of these two shotguns, I am much more interested in their likely range of date of manufacture, whether they can use modern ammunition, and any other info anyone can offer.

See less See more
#2 ·
Both models you've listed were classified as "utility grade" , both are of new enough manufacture to be safe with modern ammunition (excepting steel shot I believe).

The .410 is worth approx $75 . probably mid 40's to mid 50's

the pump , probably $125 or above. 1949 - 1954

G
#3 ·
Thanks for the info, it is very much appreciated, especially on the advice to stay away from steel shot. It shouldn't be much of a problem anyway, as I plan to mainly use these guns for skeet shooting, and a kind of a reminder of spending time with my great uncle.

Thanks again.

G
#6 ·
Thanks, but do you know if any kind of pistol grip kit can be bought for it? my grandfather got it at a yard sale years ago and the barrel has been shortened. If I can find a pistol grip for it I can just use it as a home defence weapon.

G
#8 ·
I have aquired a 16 gauge side by side double barrel shotgun. On the side it says " J. Stevens Arms Company, Chicopee Falls Mass USA" ..I can't seem to find a model number. I should also add that it does NOT have the hammers on the outside. On the side it also says " 2 3/4 inch chamber" I placed a dime into the end of the barrel and the dime would not go in. and the barrel seemed to be the same size.. I presumed that it was full choke in both barrels.When you break open the barrel as if you were to load a shell,on the left side you can see some letters . there is an A with a circle around it and an F with a circle around it and the letters N L. and the letter S on the right side.I would like any info on this gun that you may have: date of manufacture, approx. value, anything would help..Thanks for you time, Tracy

#9 ·
The dime trick is only good for 12 ga.s and then only some , the only effective way to determine the choke is to pattern the gun.

The "J. Stevens Arms Co." was used after 1920 when Savage bought out Stevens and was dropped in 1940.

the reason your shotgun dosn't have a model designation is because it's a utility grade built to a price, basically for the working man of the day. This isn't to say it isn't a quality gun.

these utility grade Stevens seem to hold between $200 and $250, but in some regions,the south east comes to mind, it should bring in about $300

#10 ·
When doing some research on my recently aquired father's shotgun, a Stevena 94C...I learned that Chicopee Falls closed around 1960 and that will at least put a newest age on your shotgun...(provided that information is correct) Hope that helps a bit...no serial will put it prior to 1968 Gun Control Act as well (but the Chicopee Falls is more telling)
Bill

#11 ·
While what you say about the Chicoppe Falls plant is true, after 1940 the name Stevens alone was used (look at your 94c Bill) .
So that pretty much holds it in the 1920 -1940 range with the J.Stevens Arms Co. branding , prior to 1920 it was J. Stevens Arm and Tool Co. On the older guns this is about the only way to get a timeframe on them.

#12 ·
ooooops...thought I was helping...I will put the dunce cap on and sit in the corner... :shock: :lol: :oops:
(guess I should read THE WHOLE POST before responding...DOH! :shock: :oops: :p )
Bill

G
#13 ·
I know this isn't the type of gun listed in the topic but I have a J. Stevens Arms Co. Model 240. It is a .410 over under shotgun with two triggers and two hammers. I would like any info. that anyone can give me.

G
#15 ·
I was wondering about a stevens shotgun. On the side it says stevens and has Chicopee Falls Mass. . On the under side just forward of the trigger. It has either 620 or e20 I can't tell which. Any information you could give on it would be great eg: value, year etc. .

G
#17 ·
I searched but could not find any listings for a J Stevens Arms Company shotgun belonging to my grandfather. It is a 20 gauge Model 238. It also has Ranger stamped on it. I assume based on previous posts that it was produced between 1920-1940.

G
#19 ·
MarlandS, Thank you for responding so quickly. I noticed that you said that other models were utility grade. Is that true of all J Stevens guns? What is the approximate worth and do you know where I might purchase a replacement magazine? Thanks.

#21 ·
MarlandS, Thanks for the information. I really don't care how much it is worth. It's worth more sentimentally, than monetary. I appreciate the link for the magazine. Due to the quick responses and information you've provided, I decided to register as a user with this site. I look forward to visiting shotgunworld in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.