CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New England Firearms, Survivor question
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:33 pm 
Utility Grade

First off, I was really jazzed to find this forum, and doubly jazzed to find this Tactical thread.

I have a New England Firearms, Survivor, SB-1, .410/45 long colt. I am setting this gun up for my survival bag and have an ammunition question.

Can I substitute the .454 casull cartridge in place of the .45 long colt. I know that the cartridge is .1" longer and has a higher chamber pressure, but will it be too much for the gun?? (as in unsafe)

Now I'm off to read through the rest of this forum to see what everyone is up to.

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: New England Firearms, Survivor question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've seen people ask this before about Taurus Judges and the like and from what I've read, the answer is no. It's a MUCH higher pressure cartridge and would likely destroy the gun, maybe even cause some kind of injury to you. Kind of like how a .357 magnum can fire .38 but not the other way around. You should never try to fire any caliber round other than what the weapon is intended to be used with.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Max pressure for "ruger only" 45 colt loads is 25,000cup. 454 is 50,000cup, twice the pressure. I might try some hotrod .45 colt but I wouldn't dare put a 454 in that thing. I know NEF/H&R have different receivers for shotguns and rifles, I don't know if the survivor is built on a rifle receiver or shotgun receiver but max pressure for .410 is 13,500 psi, and standard .45 colt is 14,000 psi so it very well could be a shotgun receiver. I might just stick to the standard velocity stuff unless you find info to the contrary.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.----Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:15 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks, sage advice. I'll stick with the long colts. Now to go find some that don't shoot quite so dirty as my Federals.