Shotgun Forum banner

What's wrong with Kolar shotguns?

24K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  Redcobra 
#1 ·
I admit to thinking about buying a Kolar Max. But sort of miffed that even on the Kolar site no one has anything to say about them for over a month, good or bad. I owned a couple of Kolars a few years back and they just didn't work for me, so I sold them and moved on. But I did pick up one with a carrier barrel at the World and it sure felt nice. Since then, I've given it a little thought, but there doesn't seem to be much conversation about the gun. For starter's it appears resale has not been good. Anyone have a different opinion or facts to support an opinion? The Kolar Max with the new rib seems to have given the gun some new life. Is it that much different than the old flat rib Kolars. Here's your chance Allen. Which brings us to stocks. What is the difference in the factory Max stocks? Any opinions on the carrier barrel versus the 750 (semi light). If you bought a 30 inch carrier barrel, would it make more sense to buy a 32 inch 750 instead of a 30 inch 730 for 12 gauge? Why do the Max barrels ping when shot? Does anyone else feel the extra charge for a release trigger is a little pricey? Where else can you get a release at a reasonable price? OK, I've thrown the bait, all you Kolar haters and lovers, tell me what you think. Give me a reason to save or spend my money. {hs#

#3 ·
high2
Now this is just what I think......OK. The reason you don't hear much is everyone is happy with their gun. I can't tell you much about the new high rib gun other than it is a little lighter on the muzzel and I don't know about a ping, I have not shot one. I know the stock would be higher with more drop at the heel. I had a high rib built before they made one and shot it for a few years. I went back to the flat rib, don't think one would be better than the other, but I do like that you can change the poi on the new guns. The new triggers are some of the best made IMO and don't change at all over time. I can't tell you what you may like, but I think a 32" is too long and I know of a world champion who tried a 32" carrier barrel and he went back to a 30" .750 bore barrel. If I was going to get a new gun I would get the 30" 750 bore and I would get the long forend they make like LP shoots. I don't know what you did not like before, so I can't say if what you didn't like has changed. I can't say much about resale, I think it is good, but it is hard to find a used kolar, which may help resale.

Also there is no magic wand (gun), they will all break targets. It all comes down to what you like, I like the feel of a P gun, but can't shoot it worth a crap. I like a K 80, but don't like that I can't work on it, I can change any part I want in a kolar or take it fully apart to clean it. I have a friend that just got one through me and he went from the mid 70's to the mid 90's and he was shooting the other k gun, but I will admitt this new gun fits him better. The fit is where it is at and how well you can stay in the gun, then comes the triggers. So if you get one and give it some time and have kolar or someone fit you, I think you can learn to shoot it and shoot it well, after all I don't do so bad with one at times lol.

If you have more questions I will try to help.
Merry Christmas
Allen

#4 ·
In answer to your original question - "What's wrong with Kolar shotguns?" the answer is very easy. Nothing.

The backside falls out of most things ones they are used - guns, cars or motorcyles it doesn't matter. Here in Australia there are very few Kolars in comparison, and seldom do you see a used one, but when you do if it's in reasonable nick and appropriately priced they sell just fine.

I have owned by standard and high rib Kolars. I did find a slight ping in the high rib, but I didn't have the patience to get used to the "new way of shooting". Thus I went back to the standard rib.

I don't shoot a release trigger so that part doesnt concern me.

At the end of the day there is 1 person that can decide if a gun is for you or not, and that's you my friend. I love dirt track speedway racing but have no time for drag racing. Others love things that go fast for a few seconds in a straight line then stop, and reckon anyone who travels around an oval in the dirt is nuts. Horses for courses, so if you like a Kolar buy one, practice with it and keep it. I doubt you will ever wear it out.

Cheers
Matt

#7 ·
I had 3 Kolars and sold them all now, but not because there was anything wrong with them, there are heaps of things wrong with me and I can't handle a heavy gun for any period worth talking about, but they are / were one of the Best Guns I ever had or probably will ever have (For Skeet) Resale I found not a problem with the exception of our location and very few Kolar owners,,,, they are fantastic if you can handle a heavy gun confortably, look no further.

Gary

#8 ·
I owned a high ribbed Max T/A first and that gun was flawless other than I thought it was heavy. I then owned a Blaser F3 AND A k-80 thinking they were the perfect gun. Boy was I wrong. Finally decided on trying the new Max T/A mid rib and for some odd reason that gun feels lighter than my first one. So not all of them have a heavy feel to them. I think the world of Kolar guns and Kolar service. Neither one can be beat by any manufacture. I have owned them all and they are as good as it gets. By a Kolar and own a gun that will last two lifetimes.

#9 ·
I've been shooting my Skeet Max for over a year now, and it does not PING. My buddy shot it, and he said it does not PING. Another buddy shoots a new High Rib K-80 Pro Skeet, and it does PING.

I'm really happy with my Kolar, but I do not therefore bash K-80's, as I could have easily gone with one of them, too. More value, more gun for the money, int he Kolar. (2 barrel carrier set for less than a single barrel K-80)

#10 ·
I think one of the early responders was correct...the reason you don't hear anything is because no one has anything to complain about. People are much more apt to find a forum to complain about something that is wrong than they are to take the time to say how good something is. I have heard nothing but good stuff about Kolars. I haven't had any problems with my O/U and while it is heavier than the gun I was using for skeet before, I have gotten used to it, and in fact, shoot it much better because of the weight. I love everything about the gun. I purchased it used and if I had to find something to complain about, it is the fact that I don't have a carrier barrel for it. So I definitely notice a difference between shooting the 12 ga and shooting the other gauges with the inserts. I have seen a few used carrier barrels for sale, but I have just been unable to justify the cost of a barrel since I probably won't shoot 12 ga much anymore anyway. In the price range these guns go for, I definitely suggest shooting them first and finding what works for you, but I love my Kolar and expect to keep it for many many years.

#12 ·
To me the recoil is much less on my Kolar than on the 680's I had before and the standard F3 Blaser I had. Cant compare to DT11 and K80. The only K80 I shot was really soft. Kolar has really nice fitting wood which helps recoil but I would think the weight and barrel design also help.

#13 ·
My Kokar kicks less than anything else I've shot. The only two guns that I've tried out that had less kick, were a K80 and a Perazzi and those two guns were both setup with high end recoil reducers in the stocks. I believe I could get my gun setup the same way with the same results, however the current factory setup produces so little recoil that I just can't justify the cost for such a minimal decrease in recoil.

#17 ·
jba450r said:
So what is up with the ping??? It seems like some do it and some don't.....
Mine only does it on the top barrell.
My Max Sporter (32") doesn't "ping" but, there is a "thud" to hear if you are looking for it. It doesn't bother me and I would have to assume its related to tightening the set screws more than anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.