CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Semi auto 20 ga for small game
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am now in the market for a light weight 20 ga mainly for rabbits and grouse. My price range is $500 or less. I have been searching on the Internet a lot and saw the mossberg SA-20 all purpose. It's light weight, in my price range and seems reliable. My only question is I see the LOP is only 14 in. and my being 6 3" I'm not sure if it will fit. I plan on going to the gun shop in the next few weeks. Is there a way I can adjust this without a pad or is there any other gun you would reccommend in my price range.

Post subject: Re: Semi auto 20 ga for small game
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:30 pm 
Crown Grade

The SA-20 is way too short for me and I'm average height. It will feel like a kid's gun to you, guaranteed. I don't think it's really even quite 14". :)

If you can stretch your price at all, look at the Franchi Affinity - a Benelli by another name and for far less cash. Or look for a used 390. The Weatherby SA-08 has some followers also.

20 Gauge semis are not dime-a-dozen, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:57 pm 
Crown Grade

BarryD wrote:
The SA-20 is way too short for me and I'm average height. It will feel like a kid's gun to you, guaranteed. I don't think it's really even quite 14". :)

If you can stretch your price at all, look at the Franchi Affinity - a Benelli by another name and for far less cash. Or look for a used 390. The Weatherby SA-08 has some followers also.

20 Gauge semis are not dime-a-dozen, unfortunately.

+1

Or if you can find a lightly used Winchester SX3, or Browning Gold 20 or Silver, these are all good choices in addition to those Barry mentioned.

If you could stretch your budget to $800, you could get this brand new SX3/Walnut 20 gauge:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=327479380

I know that is not always possible, and the other choices listed can usually be found lightly used around $600 or so.

Here's another good choice and one of my favorites, but closer to $900 and really "old school - a Browning Auto-5 20 gauge:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=326934203

That one is New In Box (NIB), and a "modern" (made in Japan with screw in Invector chokes). Most guys love them, some hate them (I love them). The 20's, especially NIB at that price are hard to find. A little heavier than some of the other guns mentioned.

Another contentious pick, but which can be a decent choice for a small game field gun on a budget, is a Remington 1100 Light 20. I like the Franchi's, Brownings, Beretta's and Winchesters better, but the 1100's are nice guns in 20 and sometimes very nice ones can be found lightly used at $500.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

What about the benelli nova pump??

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I love my Remington LT-20, but I will admit it is not the lightest thing around. I shoot it for everything but waterfowl anymore, and probably shoot it better than a 12, but none of my pursuits involve a whole lot of walking. If I wanted light, I would look at a Franchi 48. I don't do plastic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:21 pm 
Crown Grade

If you want a pump, get an Ithaca if you want the best pointing gun, or a Wingmaster if you want one that points almost as well but offers easier maintenance.

For your uses, I'd look for an Ithaca SKB 500 O/U or a 100 SxS, before a pump. Two very quick shots with two different chokes are worth more than a magazine full of slower shots and an long gun (some of which is true of a semiauto as well).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:53 am 
Tournament Grade

Benelli Montefeltro and Remington 1100 Lt are both very nice upland guns and would be my pick but Barry gave very good advice on the O/U and SXS.

For rabbits or grouse you won't use the 3rd shot often if ever, if you are going to quail hunt that could change depending where you hunt and what kind of quail your hunting.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thank you for all your input. I think I will try out the SA-08 and franchi affinity. If I don't like the SA-08 but I like the affinity I will probably spend a little extra money on the affinity. I am also going to try out some used guns.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

Has anyone had experience with the SA-08 or Affinity?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Slugo has an Affinity in 20 and loves it. Randy reviewed the gun and bought some for himself.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hello Huntman 27:

May I suggest a used Franchi 48. One can pick up a nice one for about $400.00 and up. They are very light at 5.4 lbs and are a joy to carry all day.I have one and it seems to follow me hunting quite often. I have used one for a while as does my hunting buddy and we have never had a problem! They also feel very thin and trim in the hands to me.

Good luck,

Leomat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Agree with leomat.

I use light 20 Gauge break-action guns (O/U or SxS) for fast game in heavy cover. They are shorter, yet still better-balanced and better swinging. Good low-profile ones (like the Ithaca SKB 500, which you can find for your price range) point better than most semiautos dream of pointing, too.

The few exceptions to the pointing rule are the Benelli Montefeltro and the Franchi 48, both in 20. They are still long and a tad light up front, but they're some of the only autos that seem like they're actually designed by and for people who hunt fast small game.

The Monte is not the most expensive semiauto, but I have yet to see one near $500 even used. So that leaves the 48. I'd say that, if I were really set on getting a semi for your purposes, the Franchi 48 is the one I'd get.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Another vote for the franchi 48.

" The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well." R.W.E.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you hearof anyone who has a used 48 or affinity please let me know

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you hear of anyone who has a used 48 or affinity please let me know

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hi Huntman27:

Check on Gunbroker.com. I bought two Franchi AL48s from there.

Good luck,

Leomat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:25 pm 
Field Grade

they can be found on the internet auction/classified sites from time to time...
here are two examples:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/941029741/FRANCHI_AL_48_20_GAUGE_DELUXE.htm
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=326721002
and you can check @ http://www.gunsinternational.com too...
all they are showing today is a 28 ga...

jp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

I went to a local gun shop today and tried out all the semi auto 20 ga they had. They only had 3 new ones and 1 used one. The one that felt the best was the weatherby SA-08. It pointed well and was really light. The gun shop didn't have any franchis so tomorrow I am going to different gun shop to see what they have.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well, went to a different gun shop and they were out of affinitys but will be getting some soon. For a synthetic affinity they want $650. For a wood stock weatherby sa-08 they want $520. I don't really want wood though because I don't want it go get all scratched up. So I'm leaning towards the affinity but have to find a little bit of extra cash.