Shotgun Forum banner

Baikal's New Autoloader MP-155

36K views 50 replies 12 participants last post by  Humpty Dumpty 
#1 ·
#29 ·
12GAUGE,

Ouch! I hope if any get to the States, they are in better order than that! I liked the grain on that wood, but it sounds like everything else is pretty poor. Thanks for showing the gas system - I was wondering what changed.

I have not heard anything about the MP155 being sold in the US at this time, but I don't need a new gun at this time anyway.

Jeremiah

#30 ·
#31 ·
Tozman said:
12GAUGE-PAKGUNS said:
Hi! Everyone.

Baikal MP-155 is now available in Pakistan. here is a review:

http://www.pakguns.com/showthread.php?10763-Review-Baikal-MP-155-Autoloader-Shotgun

Regards.
Interesting article. Sounds like the rejects from the factory ended up in Pakistan somehow.
The quoted price in an earlier post ($550) sounded suspicious...it is lower than the price you can buy in Russia nowadays.
Here in Canada, the gun will be available for no less than $600 + tax.
sounds interesting though !

#33 ·
ABaikal said:
Am I right in saying that this new autoloader in 3 inch only (not 3.5)
The gun in the review is 3.0 inch.
As per my limited information Baikal MP155 is available in both 3.5 and 3.0 inch chambers. And yes you are right, The gun which was reviewed was a 3.0inch chambered Baikal MP155.

Regards.

#35 ·
ik13 said:
Good review. I hope you guys got a bad copy, otherwise the results invalidate the very basic reasons why to buy a Russian made gun - inexpensive, reliable, just working without much fuss about it.
Well... initially we too were under the impression that may be its an isolated incident, may be we ended up with a bad copy. however after trying out two Baikal MP-155s with equally disappointing results our confidence has pretty much shaken up.

Good for us as Baikal MP-153 is always there to boost back our confidence. the other day we tried one out (NIB) and it cycled everything from heavy to light (24g) skeet loads without a hiccup and without us even touching the gas adjustment setting.

Regards.

#37 ·
@Afzaal

thats great news brother. Kindly share some more about its performance.

Suggested where? The manual is in Russian.
Proper 31g load? What do you mean?
Name and Brand of the proper 31g load?
Where is it suggested that the gun cannot/should not be used on 24g loads?

Did i mention that we popped a cherry the other day and she ate up everything in our ammo bag from proper 32g to improper 24g? It was an MP-153. ;) she was the ugliest girl in the ball room but she danced like a winner.

Regards.

#39 ·
12GAUGE-PAKGUNS said:
@Afzaal

thats great news brother. Kindly share some more about its performance.

Suggested where? The manual is in Russian.
Proper 31g load? What do you mean?
Name and Brand of the proper 31g load?
Where is it suggested that the gun cannot/should not be used on 24g loads?

Did i mention that we popped a cherry the other day and she ate up everything in our ammo bag from proper 32g to improper 24g? It was an MP-153. ;) she was the ugliest girl in the ball room but she danced like a winner.

Regards.
i stated proper 31g load because our beloved WIL shot No.8 is not Proper 31g load according to many of my hunter amigos ( to be honest i did not check it my self )
ok give it a try your 155 with shot No.6 or 4 and see its result.
atleast you should give it a try 100 rounds ...
regards

#41 ·
Afzaal said:
i stated proper 31g load because our beloved WIL shot No.8 is not Proper 31g load according to many of my hunter amigos ( to be honest i did not check it my self )
ok give it a try your 155 with shot No.6 or 4 and see its result.
atleast you should give it a try 100 rounds ...
regards
you are absolutely right bro. WIL cartridges are at times not exactly 31g. some of the benefits that I get by being in their skeet team is that I am entitled to have cartridges manufactured for my use according to my own specifications such as: shot load, primer type, propellant type and wad. lets meet up someday, I'll show you some of the cartridges that we use. have you seen the new NO. 7 Super and 9 Super cartridges? thats my work. :)

Pretty soon you'll be seeing WIL made 28g foster type slugs hit the market as well. almost everything has been finalized.

coming back to MP-155, bro, we tried all types of cartridges that we had at the moment and it included shots No. 4 and 8.

my thinking is simple, its not an achievement if a gun cycles flawlessly when there is an excess of 3 tons of pressure in the barrel.

you are also quiet right, 100 rounds could improve things as parts settle in but does an AK require a break-in? why should Baikal be any different? the way I see it, people buy Baikal products not because of their charming good looks and awesome handling properties. Baikal products are sold and bought as purely functional firearms. the emphasis is on "function" here.

Regards.

#42 ·
12GAUGE-PAKGUNS said:
does an AK require a break-in? why should Baikal be any different? the way I see it, people buy Baikal products not because of their charming good looks and awesome handling properties. Baikal products are sold and bought as purely functional firearms. the emphasis is on "function" here.

Regards.
1. AK is supposed to cycle with ammo of one pressure. A 12 ***** hunting gun must cycle ammo with various pressure. A harder job both for designer and for the maker.
2. To achieve this (cycling many types of ammo) the working parts of the gun must be extra smooth. The makers of upmarket semis (like Benelli) have this job done by an employee at the factory, but this is a hand job and rather expensive. Makers of cheap semis discovered that the same effect could be had by running about a 100 of high-pressure loads though it ('breaking in'). Some cheap makers (e.g. Khan of Turkey) have this done themselves, at the factory - doubles as quality conrol. Others (IzhMech, a.k.a 'Baikal'), leave it to the consumer, and cut the price even more.
3. Consequently, the need for 'breaking in' is not a defect, it is a feature of the product.

#44 ·
Humpty Dumpty said:
12GAUGE-PAKGUNS said:
does an AK require a break-in? why should Baikal be any different? the way I see it, people buy Baikal products not because of their charming good looks and awesome handling properties. Baikal products are sold and bought as purely functional firearms. the emphasis is on "function" here.

Regards.
1. AK is supposed to cycle with ammo of one pressure. A 12 ***** hunting gun must cycle ammo with various pressure. A harder job both for designer and for the maker.
2. To achieve this (cycling many types of ammo) the working parts of the gun must be extra smooth. The makers of upmarket semis (like Benelli) have this job done by an employee at the factory, but this is a hand job and rather expensive. Makers of cheap semis discovered that the same effect could be had by running about a 100 of high-pressure loads though it ('breaking in'). Some cheap makers (e.g. Khan of Turkey) have this done themselves, at the factory - doubles as quality conrol. Others (IzhMech, a.k.a 'Baikal'), leave it to the consumer, and cut the price even more.
3. Consequently, the need for 'breaking in' is not a defect, it is a feature of the product.
Your are absolutely correct bro. I guess somebody forgot to tell this NIB MP-153 that she needs to be broken-in before she can cycle all loads. ;)

This MP-153 is firing light skeet (24g) loads while set at heavy loads by unscrewing (or turning out) the gas adjustment nut beyond the cut.

Regards.

#48 ·
Humpty,

The MP-135 pump is already on the manufacturer's website: http://baikalinc.ru/ru/company/379.html

It is also available for sale in your country: http://www.izharsenal.ru/catalog/28/3288/

The news about 20 gauge MP-155 is very interesting indeed.

What happened to the talks.guns.ru website? It is off line for a while now.

Below is a photo from the Baikal stand at the IWA-2013 exhibition in Germany.
All 3 versions of the MP-155 are shown (wood, black polymer, camouflage)

#49 ·
Tozman said:
What happened to the talks.guns.ru website? It is off line for a while now.
Attacked by hackers who attempted to delete all information on the server. A rival 'gun lovers' social network' is strongly suspected; shortly before the attacks on guns.ru all guns.ru users were mailed invitations to the competing resource - through contact information which was NOT disclosed for public view in their profiles. What's worth, some time after the attack, all guns.ru archive, including users' private messages and information, was posted for open access on a third country web host (now blocked after privacy abuse complaints, but someone still has it). According to the guns.ru owner, the site is being repaired and will launch again some time in the future; a complaint to the law authorities was filed and an investigaion is in progress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.