Shotgun Forum banner

Tragic death of clays shooter at Florida's Tenoroc range!

11K views 64 replies 46 participants last post by  ysr_racer 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I suspect there is more to this story than is being reported at this time. The report I heard on the radio this afternoon didn't even make sense, and that news story linked above isn't exactly the most plausible either.

#6 ·
Have a round in the chamber and hold the gun by the barrel in the up position. Drop it on the ground and it can go off - I lost a friend that way with a hunting rifle

#9 ·
The Polk County Sheriff's Office says no conclusions have been made regarding the death of a Clermont man at a shooting range Sunday, despite what it released earlier.

The Sheriff's Office said it mistakenly released incorrect information about the death of Larry Simpson to a Lakeland newspaper. However, the cause of Simpson's death is still being investigated, it said. Earlier, it had said that autopsy results show Simpson died of an accidental, self-inflicted gunshot wound.

An autopsy has been completed, but no conclusions have been made, the Sheriff's Office said.

Simpson, 71, was shot in the chest at the Tenoroc Shooting Sports and Training range in Lakeland. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Authorities say Simpson was shooting clays with a friend when the accident happened. The Sheriff's Office earlier said Dr. Jaime Gonzalez of Orlando told detectives that he heard a shot directly behind him, and he turned around to find Simpson wounded with his gun lying beside him.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Read more: http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/22434 ... z2UeSMCxkG

#10 ·
Maybe he had a trap style recoil pad and it caught on his clothing as he went to mount the gun, it popped out of his trigger hand as it caught on the fabric and he continued his mount technique, the gun pivoted out of his left hand as it fell and hit the ground when the muzzle passed in front of his chest? Maybe that's reaching a bit.

Colonel Mustard in the Library with the rope.

#15 ·
SuperXThree said:
Point taken. Now just why load a gun if you aren't up to shoot?
Maybe he forgot to unload a round - have seen that several times with some of the older folks at my club as they get ready to walk away from the 5-stand or sporting peg - we have to remind them to open and unload - easy to happen if you get a few broken targets and are reshooting a few times as to how many are in the gun

#17 ·
A doctor friend of mine sat down an Auto Five once upon a time and the trigger released and he shot himself in the belly. He lived, but it wasn't good.

#21 ·
The gentleman, Larry C Simpson, shot sporting clays and had 6150 registered targets. You can only speculate, but
it would appear that he was pulling the targets for his friend, since he was standing behing him. He may have been trying to
push the button and score, and hold the gun at the same time, and it may have slipped out of his grasp. As far as the gun being loaded, well, probably an unfired shell from the previous station. If it were an auto, you expect the action to be open after the last shot. I've seen shooters break a pair with one shot, and walk off the station with a shell in the gun.

He made some mistakes, and tragically it cost him his life.

#24 ·
Accidents can happen folks, especially when you're doing something that you've done thousands of times before.

Always keep your head in the game.

#25 ·
I Knew Larry for 3 years. My prayers are with the family. There is more to the story then the news is saying. What i don't know but in my mind there is more to the story then what we are hearing. For everyones information talking about semi autos and different guns Larry was shooting a 32" K80.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.