Shotgun Forum banner

Late breaking news

3K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Republican 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Apparently there was a fire, and Hodgdon decided it was in their interest to keep it out of people's knowledge as long as they could. Probably trying to protect market share. I tried twice communicating with Hodgdon, and got told there wasn't a fire once, and an evasive reply that didn't acknowledge the fire, the second time. I am less than impressed with their lack of truthfulness. Mark

#5 ·
From Hodgdon's web site:
Why can't I find Hodgdon powders?
As you have seen, ammunition and reloading components - including all Hodgdon powders - are hard to find.
Dealer shelves that used to hold cans of powder are empty. Here are answers to your questions straight from
Hodgdon.
Q: Are you still making powders?
A: We are shipping more powder this year than we shipped last year. We are shipping as fast as the powder is
available. The real problem why you are seeing empty shelves is demand. The demand for powder (and all
ammunition and components) is far greater than the supply from the manufacturers. We just cannot make
enough to feed this demand right now. No one wants to ship more during this time than we do.
Q: Are you still in business?
A: Yes, Hodgdon is here for the long haul. We are doing everything we can to supply our powders. Dealer's
shelves are empty because powders are being purchased as soon as they arrive at the Dealer's stores.
Q: What is causing this high demand?
A: The current political climate can have the regulatory consequence of impacting law abiding, hard working
shooters and hunters. This has caused extremely high demand on all shooting industry products resulting in empty
shelves, long back-orders, and on-line auction sites asking exaggerated prices.
Q: I have seen/heardmany rumors and conjecture on the cause of this powder shortage.
A: If you do not hear it from Hodgdon Powder Company please don't believe it.
Q: Is the shortage of reloading powder being caused by Hodgdon shipping their powder to the ammunition
manufacturing companies?
A: No. While we do sell to some ammunition manufacturing companies, we continue to sell over 80% of our
powder to handloaders just like you. Hodgdon has always been committed to the individual handloader.
Q: Whenwill I start to see more powder on Dealer shelves?
A: This level of demand will not last forever. As soon as demand slows a little we will start making headway into
our backlog.

#6 ·
Honesty is always the best policy. When you start weaseling, people will come to think you are, well, a weasel. I can understand their desire to protect market share but that is real hard to do when you have nothing to sell and word was bound to leak out sooner or later; they should have been upfront about it. People would have understood. And here we were all blaming the hoarders and preppers.

As for me, when I run out of Clays, I will use something else until it becomes available again. Maybe I'll take a look at Titewad. We are blessed that there are lots of alternatives. But, perhaps the outage of Clays products is forcing people to use the alternatives exacerbating the shortage of the alternatives.

#7 ·
sportclayslayer said:
From Hodgdon's web site:
As you have seen, ammunition and reloading components - including all Hodgdon powders - are hard to find.
Dealer shelves that used to hold cans of powder are empty. Here are answers to your questions straight from
Hodgdon.
A: We are shipping more powder this year than we shipped last year. We are shipping as fast as the powder is
available. The real problem why you are seeing empty shelves is demand. The demand for powder (and all
ammunition and components) is far greater than the supply from the manufacturers. We just cannot make
enough to feed this demand right now. No one wants to ship more during this time than we do.
A: Yes, Hodgdon is here for the long haul. We are doing everything we can to supply our powders. Dealer's
shelves are empty because powders are being purchased as soon as they arrive at the Dealer's stores.
A: The current political climate can have the regulatory consequence of impacting law abiding, hard working
shooters and hunters. This has caused extremely high demand on all shooting industry products resulting in empty
Q: I have seen/heardmany rumors and conjecture on the cause of this powder shortage.
Q: Is the shortage of reloading powder being caused by Hodgdon shipping their powder to the ammunition
manufacturing companies?
A: No. While we do sell to some ammunition manufacturing companies, we continue to sell over 80% of our
powder to handloaders just like you. Hodgdon has always been committed to the individual handloader.
Q: When will I start to see more powder on Dealer shelves?
A: This level of demand will not last forever. As soon as demand slows a little we will start making headway into
our backlog.
Nowhere in that statement is there a reference to a fire in the Clays manufacturing section of the plant. I guess I should have stated after clicking in the url to scroll down a bit to see their comments below each "CLAY" powder. Thought it was a given all would scroll to see what was on the page. The fire comment does not show up when the page first pops up. That statement above has been in circulation since the rumor started, so they were weaseling from the get-go, and to be honest, what would it have hurt to have fessed up?

#8 ·
sportclayslayer said:
From Hodgdon's web site:
Hodgdon.
manufacturing companies?
Q: Whenwill I start to see more powder on Dealer shelves?
our backlog.
Sounds exactly like a press briefing from Jay Carney.

Has demand outpaced supply???
Duh- if supply is ZERO, it probably has.
Is Hodgdons announcement an outright lie?
It depends on the meaning of the word "is."
They may have been trying to protect there market share, but the fact remains they had the choice of telling the truth or feeding the shooting public a line of bull and they chose to go with bull.

#10 ·
That is interesting the main stream media here has had nothing on this
a few years ago there was a fire in one of there storage bunkers that was all over the news with stories of the township of Mulwala possible being blown of the map really hard to believe this didn't make the news at all here

#11 ·
This one is going to get interesting. Either BP or Hodgdon is, at a minimum, fudging the truth. Republican is right, I just checked Hidgdon's web site. Their statement stands, they have admitted nothing.

I assume BP gets their Clays from Hodgdon. If and when Hodgdon does get more Clays, I predict BP is going to be real low on the list of whose order gets filled first.

Smlekid:
I sure hope you and all your mates keep us posted on any news you hear. I had to a google three times just to find the ADI site.

#12 ·
Got to love it when you go to ADI site, and they do not mention any fire either.
http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloade ... e/news.asp

Disruptions to powder supply
6 June 2013

ADI Powders are aware that some of our customers may have lately experienced some difficulty in getting hold of some of our powders. We are aware of some temporary disruptions to powder supply at the moment, resulting in a few localised powder shortages. These disruptions are due to a combination of several factors, including regulatory changes, operational changes by transport contractors, and changes to our distribution arrangements. We are working with our distributor to address the issues created by these changes.

#13 ·
Dano523 said:
Got to love it when you go to ADI site, and they do not mention any fire either.

6 June 2013
Reading between the lines

ADI Powders are aware that some of our customers may have lately experienced some difficulty in getting hold of some of our powders. We are aware of some temporary disruptions Like a fire to powder supply at the moment, resulting in a few localised Like the USApowder shortages. These disruptions are due to a combination of several factors, including but not limited toregulatory changes, operational changes by transport contractors, and changes to our distribution arrangements and a fire. We are working with our distributor to address the issues created by these changes.

#14 ·
I've no idea where in OZ the physical plant is - but I'm a bit surprised nothing shows up on google/bing/whatever - I assume their news outlets have as much internet presence as we do.

You'd think there would be at least a blurb about a fire at a munitions factory.

It could be just a continual recycling of the same rumor, who knows.

#15 ·
If it was indeed a fire in a piece of machinery, (the fluffer) it might not have been newsworthy. We have fires in our plywood mills quite often, and the workers just put them out. As I understand it, the fire created a situation where the parts for the piece of machinery are not available, and are causing the shutdown. We had a water pump break at a local golf course a few years ago, and it was months before they got the parts to fix it, as the grass turned brown. Mark

#17 ·
oregunner said:
Dano523 said:

6 June 2013
Reading between the lines

ADI Powders are aware that some of our customers may have lately experienced some difficulty in getting hold of some of our powders. We are aware of some temporary disruptions Like a fire to powder supply at the moment, resulting in a few localised Like the USApowder shortages. These disruptions are due to a combination of several factors, including but not limited toregulatory changes, operational changes by transport contractors, and changes to our distribution arrangements and a fire. We are working with our distributor to address the issues created by these changes.
Oh man, - I love this post ....

"like a file", "Like the USA", "but not limited to", - your wording (and style) is priceless dude...

#20 ·
Curly-Nohair said:
Here is the ADI plant, -35.98766,145.987743 put those GPS readings in Google maps and have a look.
Ouch...

If you visually overlay your Google map coordinates of the plant over top of their current fire incident map, it looks like the fires are pretty close.

Well, if Hodgdon's is really all torched up down there, then it's probably good for Alliant's stock.
If I would have bought a year ago, I would have doubled my money (to buy Hodgdon's powder).

But, with a little luck, it might just creep back up $120, so there's still
some latitude to make some money, - maybe another $40+/share ?

So I just bought $10K worth of ATK stock, - hopefully it was the right thing to do.

So readers here should do the same thing: buy baby, buy !

#21 ·
Buying two 8# jugs of Universal Clays and one of Clays about a month ago is beginning to look like a pretty good move! Not sure I will make it until 2014, but it is a start. I may have to look at 20/28 as a fill-in. Any other thoughts on a substitute powder for 20-ga and 28-ga loads?

#22 ·
OldSkeeter said:
Buying two 8# jugs of Universal Clays and one of Clays about a month ago is beginning to look like a pretty good move! Not sure I will make it until 2014, but it is a start. I may have to look at 20/28 as a fill-in. Any other thoughts on a substitute powder for 20-ga and 28-ga loads?
20/28 for loads to 1250 and ProReach if you want loads that are a bit snappier.

#23 ·
Interesting
First call consensus has it at a Hold (5), with Underperform at 3 and Buy at 2.

Alliant Techsystems Inc. (ATK), is an aerospace, defense, and commercial products company that operates in 22 states, Puerto Rico, and internationally. The Company operates in four segments: aerospace systems, armament systems, missile products, and security and sporting. The Company is a producer of military small-caliber ammunition for use in soldier-carried weapons, such as automatic and semi-automatic rifles, and machine guns. ATK is also a producer of medium-caliber ammunition used by tanks. In addition, the Company is a producer of ammunition for the sport enthusiast and law enforcement markets. ATK is a manufacturer of solid rocket motors, supporting tactical, strategic, missile defense, and space launch applications. In June 2013, Alliant Techsystems Inc announced that it has completed the acquisition of Caliber Company. In June 2013, Alliant Techsystems Inc acquired Savage Sports Corp.

ps: through Vanguard, your trades would be $2 each.

#24 ·
I doubt the increase in demand for Alliant canister powders as a result of the fluffer going out at Hodgdon's subcontracter is going to have a material impact on ATK's stock price, given how diversified ATK is. Red Dot it a pimple on the butt of that beast.

#25 ·
I sure wouldn't let an event at a supplier to Hodgdon cause me to buy ATK stock.

As a side note, ATK's sporting division is only a small part of the company but it includes a lot of companies that you'll recognize. Here's a blurb from their website:

"Look for these leading brands: BLACKHAWK!; Champion targets and shooting equipment; Gunslick Pro and Outers gun-care products; Weaver optics and mounting systems; Eagle Industries tactical accessories; the Force on Force training system; RCBS reloading equipment and Alliant Powder reloading smokeless powder; Buck Commander and Duck Commander products for deer and duck hunters; and Savage hunting rifles, shotguns, and shooting range systems.

Ammunition
The Sporting Group supplies small-caliber ammunition to sport-shooting enthusiasts, devoted hunters, federal and local law enforcement agencies, and the military. Our ammunition brands include Federal Premium, CCI, Fusion, Speer Ammo, Speer Bullets, Estate Cartridge and Blazer."

#26 ·
FlyChamps said:
I sure wouldn't let an event at a supplier to Hodgdon cause me to buy ATK stock.
Then what would ?

The event led me to "look", to where I found this :

And that's good enough for me to want to buy.

Redcobra said:
ps: through Vanguard, your trades would be $2 each.
I had em all, Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab, you name it. But by far, the tools, layout, and the "look and feel" of the Fidelity experience far outweighs their cost. I see it as a case of: Ya get what ya pay for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.