Shotgun Forum banner

looking for a good pump action. What do you recommend?

3K views 45 replies 29 participants last post by  oneounceload 
#1 ·
Looking at the beneli supernova but would like to get some feedback on others.
So shoot away!!

#12 ·
It's a pump gun that does not have a bad history of jamming or breaking. If you like the way it looks and feels, then buy it shoot it and enjoy it. If you ever change your mind, trade in for something else. As long as you stick with good quality guns with good reputations you can trade them around with other people with your investment pretty much intact. Jump to something of questionable quality and on the very high or low end of the cost range and your investment becomes a bigger gamble. Even then, if you know it's a gamble and you can afford the chance, maybe it's worth it to you. Personally, it's not a gun I want to carry but if my best friend got one I wouldn't just drop him... If I didn't drop him when he got that flushing dog, I wouldn't for an ugly shotgun either. I mean that's only two strikes, right?

#21 ·
If you like the feel of the Supernova you will love shooting it. All those other guns may be great also I won't speak to some thing I have no experience with. With the Supernova I do have experience with and the comfort tech stock makes shooting 3.5" feel like shooting out of my Mossberg 935 which is a gas auto, which of course gas autos are known for having the least recoil of any type of shotgun.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#22 ·
Oldfarmer said:
It's a pump gun that does not have a bad history of jamming or breaking. If you like the way it looks and feels, then buy it shoot it and enjoy it. If you ever change your mind, trade in for something else. As long as you stick with good quality guns with good reputations you can trade them around with other people with your investment pretty much intact. Jump to something of questionable quality and on the very high or low end of the cost range and your investment becomes a bigger gamble. Even then, if you know it's a gamble and you can afford the chance, maybe it's worth it to you. Personally, it's not a gun I want to carry but if my best friend got one I wouldn't just drop him... If I didn't drop him when he got that flushing dog, I wouldn't for an ugly shotgun either. I mean that's only two strikes, right?
:lol: I really like my 3.5" chambered Winchester SXP. That being said a Mossberg 500 or Browning BPS would get my vote, followed by the Super Nova.

#24 ·
I'm also a first-timer and just got a Mossberg 500. I had to work on it quite a bit to smooth it out and solve some problems, but I've heard many of the low-end guns today are like that. You don't "really" say what you want the gun for, so since most pumps are kinda do-it-all rifles i would get a pump that has lots of accessories and barrels available. The Winchester and Mossy definitely fit into that category and both have a record of reliability.

#26 ·
Here's a few thoughts from a pump fan.

Ithaca 37;
A quality gun made in the USA, buy a new one. You will be able to hold your head up when you shoot it. I love mine and it's harvested a ton of doves/quail.

870 or Mossberg or older Winchester
Also made in the USA but the new build quality sucks. Buy an older one.

Browning BPS
By far the best quality foreign made pump, comparable to the 37. I own one and its a great gun also.

Benelli
Not that great,, middle of the road quality although it has a fair following..

Best Wishes Art

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.