Shotgun Forum banner

Extrema 2 vs A400 series differences

20K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Richard70 
#1 ·
Can someone lay out the differences between these two lines of guns? Both seems to operate very much the same, ie recoil spring in the fore end, self cleaning gas piston, etc.
What are the differences. With the A400 Extreme they changed the stock around but what else. What makes the Blink gas system different from the Extrema 2?

#2 ·
That's a great question. One of of my duck hunting buddies has a 3" A400, the rest of us use Xtrema's or Xtrema 2's. One guy occasionally brings a 303, but we make him sit at a separate table at dinner.

Anyway, having looked at the bolt and gas pistons in both guns side by side there doesn't seem to be much difference.

The A400 seems to be a way to bring Xtrema simplicity to the core of Beretta autoloaders. It has already pushed the Xtrema 2 aside, and now we're hearing the outstanding 391 is done too. I suspect they'll put all their eggs in the A400 basket, come out with subgauge models and add more target versions and that will be their only Italian made auto.

But back to you question I don't see much difference.

#3 ·
Brent said:
One of of my duck hunting buddies has a 3" A400, the rest of us use Xtrema's or Xtrema 2's. One guy occasionally brings a 303, but we make him sit at a separate table at dinner.
He must be the only one who is allowed to sit at the table with the white lacy tablecloth and floral centerpiece. The 303 is the simplest and most reliable semiautomatic ever made.

#4 ·
:shock:

Maybe one day someone can explain what "Steelium" is compared to all the non-steelium Beretta has been using for decades in Beretta and Benelli shotguns?

If there is a clear trend in autoloaders it is 1) make them as cheaply as possible and 2) sell them for as much as possible. Just look at new model after new model: often, you see less machining, more plastic, and an eerie avoidance of polishing, including polished blue, and an enthusiastic disregard for anything that could possibly be considered quality walnut.

#5 ·
The gas system is a bit different in the A400 and allows for really light shells to be fired. The Xtrema II manual says to use a minimum of 3 1/4 dram loads to ensure reliability, but reports on the A400 indicate that it will shoot and cycle anything.
I was fiddling around the other day on the worthless Berettausa website trying to figure out the weights of the two guns. They listed the A400 Extreme at 7.6 pounds, but I couldn't find an official weight for the Xtrema II. I suspect it is pretty close to that, or even a bit more.
Gofer

#6 ·
Depends on which A400 you are thinking of. There is an A400 Xplor and A400 Xtreme. The Xplor is more like the AL391/Urika 2 Gas system and the Xtreme is mor like the A391 Xtrema's gas system.

The A400 Xtreme looks to have a different magazine cap and a different Kick Off system from the A391 Xtrema/Xtrema 2.

I really wish Beretta would have come out with an A400 and A401 to avoid some confusion. The 39x series was bad enough!

#8 ·
Seamus, I should have clarified. His 303 is a really nice gun...he just happens to be the one of us that we all pick on mercilessly. Showing up with a perfectly nice 303 is simply another thing to pick on him about...particularly when he claims someone using a heavier load has to swat his downed birds for him.

#12 ·
Brent/Toolman,
My Xtrema eats a steady diet of cheap 1 oz Federals with no problem, but they are running at 1290.
I also took it to Argentina and shot the crap out of really cheap 1 ounce shells, and that didn't cause a problem until it got really dirty.
What speed are your AA's going? Are they 1 ounce at 1200? I've found that 3 dram, 1 1/8 ounce loads also function perfectly, but the 2 3/4 dram, 1 1/8 ounce loads just dribble out the ejection port. I don't want to have a gun that I can't count on, so I just shoot the heavier loads. My failure rate with the Xtrema II is actually less than it was with my 391 sporter.
Gofer

#13 ·
It seems I must have gotten a bad 303 because the gun functions flawlessly when the temp is above 25 f but when ma nature brings them mallards south to me here in northern Wisconsin the weather can be nasty at best and she don't like spitting out the hulls at all. In the twenty some years with this weapon I bought a new super nova a few years ago just for the fowl weather time. now I am waiting for my new a400 extreme to hopefully take some of that novas kick away from those 3-1/2'' monsters that seem to kick the most on that third shot all the time.

#15 ·
I have an Xtrema 2 and A400 Xcel.
I've never shot duck loads in the Xcel, but the Xtrema 2 has eaten a lot of target loads down to 7/8oz (had few boxes left from the time I used to reload...around 1300 - 1330 fps if memory serves) without a single hiccup. Because I liked the Xtrema so much I bought the A400 target gun, instead of the venerable 391.
Perhaps I've skipped a generation or two of semi-autos, but I thought that the Xtrema stayed quite clean, compared to other semis I've had or used. The Xcel took that even higher. It's wicked how clean it stays.

...just noticed after writing all this that this is a resurrected two years old thread :roll:

#16 ·
I found the 400 has one internal firing pin spring. If fact, I have an a391 and having a hard time figuring out where to put the mystery o ring. It has an external firing pin spring and an internal firing pin spring. It looks the schematic puts the o ring on the firing pin and then the internal firing pin spring goes on. Much like the 400. If anybody can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate advice. I guess my question is, " how do I reassemble the a391 bolt with the o ring, external firing pin spring and internal firing pin spring? Help if you can

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.