CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RC shells
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

I wanted to try out the RC shells

Could not get the Pioneer website or phones to work

I mentioned this on a thread Mr. Brown was on.

His response to get it fixed was immediate.

He had it fixed within the hour.

I ordered three flats, they shipped the same day and were here in less than a week. Shipping cost was 1/3 of what other suppliers (Able, Midway, Graf) charge.

I hope the shells work as well as the service. Props.

Post subject: Re: RC shells
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

Great quality shell and as you already found, great service from the US distributor. Hope you like them as much as we do. Looking forward to your review.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:09 am 
Diamond Grade

what kind of cost are they?? shipping???

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:25 am 
Tournament Grade

RC4 Red Supernik 7 1/2 and 8, 1 oz were $89 per case

Titano spreader 9's were $80 per case

Shipping was $29 total for 3 cases.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Chesterfield wrote:
RC4 Red Supernik 7 1/2 and 8, 1 oz were $89 per case

Titano spreader 9's were $80 per case

Shipping was $29 total for 3 cases.

gulp.

There is no such thing as hard targets, only targets above our ability. -- Jimmy Muller

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Not that bad. If I shoot 5000 a year, and get those instead of $65 a flat standards, with the shipping savings it costs me about an extra $100 total for the year. Given what it costs to shoot 5000 tournament targets in a year that isn't much.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

5000 per year is 20 flats. $89 per case vs $65 per case is $24.
$24 x 20 = $480.

Shipping averages $9.66 per case. $24.00 plus $9.66 = $33.66 extra per case vs your usual $65 per flat.

$65 x 20 flats (5000 shells) = $1300 total

$98.66 x 20 flats (5000 shells) = $1973.20 total

You spent $673.20 more on your 5000 shells.

Better be score builders! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm not good enough to shoot $10/box shells. I'll stick with the Herter's @ $59.99/case with free shipping. When things got tight, I sprang for $73 B&Ps with free shipping (I had points, so I only paid about $54 out of pocket), but it was hard to pry that out of the wallet.

$99/flat ... Not Jeff Hunter. I'm selling my guns before that happens.

There is no such thing as hard targets, only targets above our ability. -- Jimmy Muller

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:24 pm 
Limited Edition

"It ain't the Arrow it's the Indian!"

No way you can tell me they hit better, harder, more consistent than $65 RIO Star Teams?

$90 a flat and I'm buying AA 1 1/8oz Handicaps or the 1oz 1350fps shell....why shoot anything else???

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

SIMPLE: RC in the RC4 red Shot offers 9 FPS Standard Deviation compared to SAAMI standards of up to + / - 30 or 90 FPS acceptable variations! SAAMI SD for pressure is 7.5%. RC is .003%! QC on shot weigh is .1% (I saw the QC reports) compared to ANSI standards of +3% -5%! Also, SAAMI measures hardness by the antimony content. This far from true as tempering will increase hardness 30 fold! More antimony, less weight, less retained energy. A pellet with less antimony but tempered will have more retain energy at distance. In Olympic double trap, the Gold medal winner used 9s on the first clay!
A quality consistent product costs more! Here is the link for SAAMI (US voluntary standards) http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/209.pdf

While I have shot and do shoot AA Extra Light and Federal Gold Medal Extra Light which are THE premium N.A. shells, they still do not match RC 's consistency. Take a chronograph and scale.

Meanwhile, I will be picking up my RC order in the next few weeks while in the US. It might not make me a better gun, specially with my health and eye problems. But, the breaks are going to be very nice as they are when in Europe or Africa, even on birds!

Henry :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

Shane-O wrote:
"It ain't the Arrow it's the Indian!"

No way you can tell me they hit better, harder, more consistent than $65 RIO Star Teams?

$90 a flat and I'm buying AA 1 1/8oz Handicaps or the 1oz 1350fps shell....why shoot anything else???

Shane-O it's really a simple question - do you want to shoot 100 straight or not?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:54 am 
Limited Edition

LoL....Well you didn't say that!! Hell I'm in!
Hahaha!
All kidding aside, my highest score shot was when I didn't care and was just being agressive with the gun trying to see if it was going to work well for my kid. I shot a 99 with my daughters 391, on the Tower course(Red??) while in Houston at ASC with Winchester 1oz Dove/Quail loads. $3.89 a box.
Must be some damn good shells! HAhaa!
Y'all keep messing up the game by being willing to shoot $10 a box of shells.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I never thought I would say this but here goes.

A shell is a shell is a shell!

I am starting to think it doesn't make any difference what shell you shoot.

I buy the cheapest stuff I can find for practice.

I always shoot 1 1/8's in registered shooting. Yesterday I shot the RIO 1oz 1210 with a pair of U1's and broke everything!!!! :lol:

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife

Krieghoff K 80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
NSCA 546619
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

Shane-O wrote:
LoL....Well you didn't say that!! Hell I'm in!
Hahaha!
All kidding aside, my highest score shot was when I didn't care and was just being agressive with the gun trying to see if it was going to work well for my kid. I shot a 99 with my daughters 391, on the Tower course(Red??) while in Houston at ASC with Winchester 1oz Dove/Quail loads. $3.89 a box.
Must be some damn good shells! HAhaa!
Y'all keep messing up the game by being willing to shoot $10 a box of shells.

Shane, hell of a score on that course. Brad Kidd won last week with a 92 and there were a couple of 86's and then they fell off from that point. Being assertive and being in the moment, shells don't really make a difference as you have proved.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

One thing you won't have to worry about with RC shells is them getting hung up in your ejectors or having and misfires like you do with cheaper shells.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

Shane-O wrote:
"

Now that is funny!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:32 pm 
Limited Edition

rbrown2012 wrote:
Shane-O wrote:
"

Now that is funny!

HAha! Sorry Rollins, I know they're your baby and they're good shells, however and but i'm not picking on RC's...let me make that clear.....
Us(shooters) being "Okay" with $10 a box ammunition is ludicrous and is making this game an elitist sport. Do I wanna be out there with thugs? No. But when it's you, your daughter and your wife(no longer a concern) shooting every weekend and you're the only one in the family making a copper penny to put towards the hobby. $30 a flat is a big deal.
Period.
And listen...With Murdified and Imp Murdified Kicks in my gun I stand by the statement! When you draw black smoke off of 35-40 yard targets what else do you want? "It's all about the address on the payload" to quote my good friend Mr Gil Ash!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The bigger question is to what percentage of shooters do the best-of-the-best shells really matter, and what percentage of shooters could shoot any shell on the face of the planet, and the difference in their score would be statistically insignificant, best to worst?

I would think maybe 1/2 of 1% MIGHT benefit from using the best shells known to man.

kolarskeet@gmail.com
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Shane, I'm not offended and I do understand your standpoint. In fact, I am working on a deal to bring in high quality "gun club" loads right now.

A couple of top shooters have schooled me on consistency in velocity and some other aspects, so now that's the way I look at shells. I'll show you some of their examples the next time I see you. The short story being that the more consistent the shell is (especially in velocity) the more forgiving it is to the shooter and small errors in pointing. Those explanations are what made me a believer and why I went ahead a with RC. I know they're expensive and I know that they're not necessarily for everyone. (Working hard to get the prices down as we speak).

I'm definitely not a shell snob! I'm just trying to bring in more things to get the shell market more competitive and to ultimately drive DOWN the price of shells in the US. Big goal, rough road, pain in the rear, but hopefully can open the door to more people to join our sport by lessening one of the biggest expenses.

Best,

Edit: And a big thanks/kudos to Randy and the guys at Ables for doing the same thing even more effectively than we are! Cheddite, Bornaghi, etc. good quality shells at good prices. That kind of importing is going to help our sport.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:39 pm 
Limited Edition

rbrown2012 wrote:
Shane, I'm not offended and I do understand your standpoint. In fact, I am working on a deal to bring in high quality "gun club" loads right now.

A couple of top shooters have schooled me on consistency in velocity and some other aspects, so now that's the way I look at shells. I'll show you some of their examples the next time I see you........

Hey Man I would enjoy that. Being a Precision Rifle guy before sporting and rolling my own rifle cartridges, I have a firm understanding and belief in standard deviation and consistency!
On gun club loads, I'm in, but I think the faster gun club loads give us the same sight pictures as the tournament shells in our practice. 1150fps and 1200fps shells....meh :roll: