CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: slugs through a modified choke?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Howdy, I have a 870 youth model 20 ga. and was wondering if slugs would screw up my modified choke. If so, then could i shoot slugs with no choke at all? Sorry, not much knowledge in chokes.

Post subject: Re: slugs through a modified choke?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hi Blooberries, and welcome to our forum. Here you'll find plenty of help and good conversation too. Hope you stick around!

The older, slower (about 1300fps) rifled slugs ("Foster" slugs) are ok with your modified choke tube, although the ideal tube would probably be Improved cylinder. It's only partly barrel constriction to worry about--it's also the pressures that some modern sabots and slugs are loaded to. Do NOT shoot anything through your barrel with no choke tube screwed in, you can do some real damage that way. When in doubt, consult your owner's manual! Also read the box the slugs came in--don't shoot sabots through your smoothbore barrel.

Practice shooting slugs though it until you can keep them inside a paper lunch plate at forty or fifty yards. Then you'll be ready.

Good luck and good hunting :)

Jeff23

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:52 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks Jeff, Do you have any idea about how much an improved choke tube runs these days? Also, the walmart where I live doesnt carry 20 ga. slugs. I am going to check a local gun and pawn shop that sells ammo and see if they have them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A new choke tube would cost you approximately $20. Personally, I would shoot the slugs through the modified choke. Millions of slugs have been shot through FULL chokes with no harm. I see no reason why it would hurt a modified choke.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:20 am 
Diamond Grade

Ulysses is right about both the price of an IC choke and using the slugs. We've had a couple of extended debates on this matter (not me and Ulysses, the forum as a whole :) ), and while there are some who think you shouldn't go below IC, I've been shooting slugs out of my fixed modified choke for a long time. Using a cylinder or improved cylinder choke for slugs follows the practice of the manufacturers, who make special-purpose slug barrels that are choked more open.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the advice. I think I will just keep my mod. choke. Do you think some of those clamp-on rifle sight would be a good investment? I saw them in a Cabelas catalog and I think they just clamp right on the vent rib of your shotgun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

Gee, I dunno--I've never used a sight for 'em, mostly because I don't shoot if the deer is moving, standing facing away, or is more than 40 yards off. But perhaps I'm over-cautious. If you do get a sight, sight it in!

Jeff23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here is the sites I use on my 870 12 gauge and the slugs I get that seem to pattern very well in every 870 20 or 12 I've shot them through.

http://www.truglo.com/content/products/ ... turkey.asp

http://www.remington.com/ammo/shotshell/sluggerhv.htm

I'd also look at remington's new "BuckHammer" slug

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:30 pm 
Utility Grade

Ok thanks guys. Yall are really helpfull, I will hang around this forum for a while I hope. Oh, by the way, can those remington buck hammer slugs be shot safely through a mod. choke or should I just go with the foster slugs?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Improved is recommended. You might want to give Remington a jingle and make sure. Their customer service can answer the question in about two shakes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:48 pm 
Field Grade

Ill try to help the best I can here. No, slugs will not hurt a mod. choke. My first shotgun i got was a NEF with 3" chamber and fixed mod. choke barrel on it and put slugs through it deer hunting many of times. Like many others said the prefered would be imp. Cylinder or cyl. Now if you have a screw in choke tube system or a poly choke, it will be no difference. You will never want to use a full choke for slugs for the simple reasons full choke barrels are not accurate for slugs, and there is a great possiblity that a slug can blow out your tube or poly choke. Mod. Choke is right between the full choke and Imp. cylinder and you will have no problems shooting a slug through it, but like I said, Imp. cylinder or open cylinder is your best bet because there is very little constriction on the slug itself. The only thing you want to avoid using for a poly choke or screw in choke is sabot slugs, only use rifled slugs. Another thing I have heard is that screw in chokes are not good for slugs. I have a Model 20 JC Higgins 12 ga. and it had a fixed full choke barrel on it, and I knew I couldn't use it for slugs. I went to the gun shop and the gunsmith told me that screw in chokes are bad for slugs, he has said he has seen many times where slugs have blown out even imp. cylinder tubes and most people wanted them replaced with Poly chokes. I have heard people say that you can shoot slugs without even having a tube in the barrel, but I wouldn't recommend it. Anyways, I wanted the screw in choke, and he said it wasn't a good choice. he asked me if I turkey hunted and I said no. So I payed $10 and had him take 4 inches off of the barrel, so now I basically have a wide open cylinder and I can use slugs for deer. Anyways, sorry I rambled on, I hoped I helped somewhat. Bottom line, Mod. Choke is ok, won't be harmed, but imp. cylinder or wide open cyl. is a better choice

I am NRA and I vote!

Post subject: Re: sabot slugs through a modified choke?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:05 pm 
can you shoot sabot slugs through a modiefied choke?
thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:05 am 
Limited Edition

shoot your rifled slugs through it fine. I know an older gentleman who has been using a Model 12 since 1954 for deer. Its a full choke 30" barrel, no rib, one bead sight. He can shoot accurately out to 80 yards. He just grabs whatever miscellaneous slugs he has on hand. I watched him unload the other day and 5 different slugs came out. He gets more deer than anyone I know.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:21 pm 
will they still be as acurate even if the barrel is not rifled?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

hello wrote:
will they still be as acurate even if the barrel is not rifled?

No. Sabot slugs are intended for rifled barrels. Rifled slugs are intended for a smooth bore. It's possible to mix them up, but you won't get good results.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:00 pm 
Field Grade

These guys are right, an imp. cylinder choke would be your best bet, but slugs will work through a modified choke, it is only a little more constriction, and will cut down your shooting distance a bit. I have a NEF parder 12 ga. with a fixed mod. choke barrel, and shot many slugs through it with no harm. This was my first shotgun, and I used it for 7 years straight deer hunting, and never had any problems, but still your best bet would be improved cylinder, or even the slug choke if you can find one.

I am NRA and I vote!