CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 11-48 Disassembly
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:12 pm 
Does anyone know how to disassemble or get the bolt out of a Remington 11-48 shotgun? If possible, I'd love to get a copy of assembly/disassembly instructions for this shotgun.

Thank you in advance,

Dave in Oakwood, GA

Post subject: Re: Remington 11-48 Disassembly
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:19 am 
Go here for a full schematic on the 11-48.
enjoy.

http://stevespages.com/ipb-remington-1148.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:59 pm 
Sorry, I tried the link you listed and could not load the page. I just inherited an old 11-48 (it was given to my grandfather by my great-grandfather) and would like to learn how to disassemble, etc. Can you provide a working link? Thanks. --JS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Try the Remington site. You could probably find it there.

http://www.remington.com/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:37 pm 
I've got an 11-48 myself. When I first dissassembled it I used the instruction manual on the remington web site for the 1100/11-87. They are similar enough that you should have no problem figuring it out. Basically you need to take off the barrel. then push out the two push pins. This lets the trigger assembly drop out. I think its best to also take out the spring that pushes on the bolt. Do this by taking off the stock and poping out the wood plug (held in place with a pin). Carefull here, the spring is very long and has a tendency to fly out. You should now be able to slide out the bolt unless I forgot to mention a step. Good luck and enjoy the gun. Mine is a third generation hand down and I'm in the process of restoring all of the wood. If you have any problems still let me know and I'll pull mine apart and give a better step by step. One last bit of advice. When you pull out the bolt be careful not to move the steel plate behind the bolt, its a real pain to get everything back together if it moves.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:05 pm 
DaveInOakwood, GA wrote:
Does anyone know how to disassemble or get the bolt out of a Remington 11-48 shotgun? If possible, I'd love to get a copy of assembly/disassembly instructions for this shotgun.

Thank you in advance,

Dave in Oakwood, GA

Go to numrich arms corportation for a drawing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:13 pm 
Speaking of the 11-48 model, how do you set it to eject target loads properly? I'm pretty sure it involves removing the front stock, but all I see is a big spring around the magazine tube.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:17 am 
To adjust for light or heavy loads, remove the fore end cap, remove barrel, then remove the first ring. It will have instructions on it for which side goes up for light and down for heavy loads.

To field strip, cock and close reciever, unscrew fore end cap, remove fore end, take off barrel, ring, spring (note the end with ring attached goes up), , pull out the cocking pin (thing you pull back to cycle the action). The bolt will then fall out the front. The two lose levers attached to it must go back in the butt stock spring reciever when reassembling. Be careful as these are attached with a pin that can easily come out.

Push out reciever pins, and the trigger assembly will come out. There is a lose peice that fits on the left side of the reciever that will also come out. It must be place back carefully and secured with the receiver pin.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:52 am 
Also be sure to put a few drops of oil on the outside of the magazine tube, not too much, but enough for a light coat. Blowbacks are pretty picky about dry tubes. I had to lube mine yesterday during a dove shoot. Having no oil, I got a few drops from the oil dip stick in my car. Being an old Browning owner, I have used this trick several times!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:12 pm 
Field Grade

How good of a gun is the 11-48? I'm thinking about buying one, but I want to get so feedback before a buy it. My biggest concern, of course, is if there is anything bad about the gun; like feeding problems. Also, does anyone know if there is a synthetic forend (off a different shotgun) that can be fitted to the 11-48?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

I posted earlier about setting up the 11-48 for light loads. Well, the support guy at Remington said the manual indicated nothing needed to be done. He even sent me a manual, no charge. I thought that was pretty awesome service for an obsolete, 50+ year old product.

Anyway, I took it all apart and cleaned it up, put a very light coating of Rem Oil on the magazine tube and headed to the trap range. I never shot the gun before and got 25 straight. Couldn't believe it, I've never done that before. Plain 28" barrel, full choke, field stock, no problem. I think the high front bead helped a bit with the rising targets. And all 25 of the 1145 fps target loads ejected just fine after the clean up.

Anyway, getting back to the original question. Go to Remington's site. You can order an owner's manual there on line. Apparently, for no cost.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:42 am 
Despite what Remington rep says, there is a friction ring on these guns that needs to be flipped the correct way. It is under the barrel lug, on top of the spring. It will be stamped with instructions for which side goes up for light and heavy loads. You can damage the gun if it is set for light loads and you shoot heavy. Vice versa and you will have ejection problems.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:37 pm 
eddy2419

Which ring are you referring to? Can you tell me which number it is on this link's schematic?

http://stevespages.com/ipb-remington-1148.html

I have yet to have the 11-48 apart as I just picked it up from a friend a few minutes ago, but I was hoping to help him with his ejection problem (see other 11-48 post this forum) and will certainly check out the ring possibility.

Thanks!

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've got the 11-48 right in front of me. The recoil spring assembly has the following engraved on it:

"THIS END FORWARD TOWARD MUZZLE FOR ALL LOADS"

The piece that that is engraved on is more or less permanently attached to the recoil spring. That assembly is part number 51 on the drawing you linked to.

Also, the owner's manual has the following in italics:

"No adjustment or change in the setting is required for light or heavy loads."

Maybe there was a design change along the way. The manual I have is for 1949-1968. It might be the earlier ones have the
ring.

As a follow up to what I posted earlier, I shot the gun again with some 1090 fps loads just yesterday. They didn't eject far, but they did eject. I think the key to this particular gun is to keep the outside of the magazine tube clean and lightly lubed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

I forgot to add, the piece that I think would be reversible is part #32 on the schematic, but my gun doesn't have anything engraved on that piece. I've never changed it.

When I was in high school a friend I shot trap with had a Browning A-5 and if I remember correct, that was the piece he always had change when we shot trap.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:04 pm 
Field Grade

870 TB

Thanks for the responses. I did a complete disassembly and found that the cleaning was not as thorough as I was led to believe. I spent a couple of hours on it and took it out for a few shots .... I had no problems whatsoever with it ejecting the 2 3/4", 3 1/4 dram equivalent, 1 1/8 oz no. 4 lead shot shells that I tested it with. It turned out to be quite gummed up once I had it apart, so apparently all it needed was a good cleaning.

I read up on it as well and you are right, there are no adjustments to be made.

I will take it out again in the morning before work and test it out on some ducks (yes, with steel shot ... heheheh) and if it does not jam up, then we are good to go for the weekend.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:28 pm 
Part #32 in the diagram is what I was referring to. The friction ring on mine is not as wide as this one is depicted and the recoil spring is also different. Mine does not have the long cover on the end, just a much smaller ring at the end which fits into the friction ring.

Seems there may well be variations in the design. Mine is a 16 gauge that belonged to my great uncle. Not sure when it was made. I will try to look up the serial number. It does have directions on the friction ring as to which side goes up for heavy and light loads. "This side up for light loads". "This side up for heavy loads". Along with an arrows pointing each way. Sorry if I caused any confusion! I just assumed they would all be the same.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:22 pm 
Is a 11-48 with a full choke OK/safe to shoot steel or other non-toxic shot? I have gotten mixed info/opinions on this. I moved to South Dakota and to hunt on public land we have to use steel or non-tox shot. It is a fabulous gun and I dont want to damage it/myself.
Thanks,
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:21 pm 
I have an 11-48, have had it about 6 years. Mine is a third generation as well. I have never heard of having to turn around anything to differentiate between light and heavy loads. however I have had more trouble ejecting heavier shot loads than lighter. I don't really have a good explanation for it. I was hoping someone might have some insight into this matter. The only rationale for it is back when the gun was made the loads tended to lighter than they are now, but then again the powder was also stronger, I don't know. Let me know if anyone has any ideas on what a person can do. I do love the gun as a matter of fact I also own a Rem 11-87 the only thing I really like using it for is geese, because of the 3 1/2 in. chamber other wise for pheasants and doves, I only want to use the 11-48. a much smoother and more accurate gun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:32 pm 
I would not use steel shot in your barrell. Now if you want to spend the money, there is nothing wrong with using tunkston, or some of the other non-tox shot. Steel will cause major scratching in your barrel and could cause rusting if not protected. Older guns don't handle steel shot very well.
Recomendation: Either buy yourself a newer model gun,or buy the more exensive shot. It will just depend on the amount of hunting you do to decide which is the most cost efficent for you.