Shotgun Forum banner

870 Wingmaster: 30" Barrel

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jimx200 
#1 ·
Can this shotgun be used for Turkey hunting and what shells can be used? New to the sport. On the barrell, it indicates 2 1/4" to 3", but I was told it would not hold 3" shells. Need some help. :?:

#3 ·
Not an expert but I have a 870 Wingmaster. As far as I know they only chambered the Wingmaster for 2 3/4 shells. The Express was chambered for 3" shells. If by chance it is chambered for 3" then the serial # will start or end (not sure witch) with a "M".

the term "Chambered" is kinda missleading in this case as the chamber is in the barrel and the barels are interchangeable between the different 870 models.

Most likely you have a 3" chambered barrel on a 2 3/4" actioned shotgun. This is fine just dont shoot 3" shells. Most of the aftermarket barrels have 3" chambers.

This will kill a turkey just fine. Just pick a few of the popular turkey loads and pattern them to determine your lethal range.

The #6 winchester supreme's work good in my 870 with a 30" MOD barrel.

#4 ·
They did make Wingmasters in 3 inch magnum.

Like mentioned above, look at your serial number, if it ends with an "M" it is the magnum receiver.

#5 ·
Thanks for the responce. I purchased the rifle used but in excellent condition. I spoke with the gentlemen and he told me that it won't shoot 3" shells. As for the 2 3/4" shells, what type of shot is recommended: steel etc...? I do have a full choke on the barrell now. I was told this is good for Turkey. What is your intake? I am looking for some direction so that I can get started and learn.

#6 ·
DO NOT shoot steel shot through your full choke tube unless the tube is marked lead and/or steel.

I would not recommend steel shot for turkey hunting.

For shell information try clicking on the matrix for shells.

Each individual shotgun and choke are different. You will have to pattern your gun with different loads to find out which combination works best in your shotgun.

For example, my shotguns patterns great with Federal 3inch Premiums, 2 ouncesof #5 lead shot.

One of my hunting partners has the same shotgun with same choke and his patterns Winchester 3 inch shells with #6 shot alot better than my Federals.

#8 ·
WingMaster said:
They did make Wingmasters in 3 inch magnum.

Like mentioned above, look at your serial number, if it ends with an "M" it is the magnum receiver.
Yes they did, mine is a 3" magnum. If you have the screw-in remchokes, the full choke is ok to use with steel shot (it's marked right on the choke), but make sure you doublecheck first.

#9 ·
According to my 1980 Remington catalog, they state YOU CAN SHOOT STEEL in your fixed full choke barrel!
I have shot many hundreds of rounds of steel shot in my 1100 field gun in the duck blind. Not one speck of scoring/scratchin/maring on the inside. Last 3-4 seasons, I have shot the Hevi-Shot stuff too without any problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.