Shotgun Forum banner

687 Silver Pigeon II or 686 White Onyx Sporting

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Clayslayer 
#1 ·
Sure could use a lot of help here from you all. Buying first new shotgun for clay shooting only. Shoot 5 stand, skeet and will start trap. Choices are: 687 Silver Pigeon II new in box with case $2000 out the door (30" or 32" barrel) OR 686 White Onyx Sporting (32" barrel only) for $1595 out the door. Which is a better deal and is it worth the extra money for the SP II? Don't want to make an expensive mistake. At 6'3" and 240lbs I can handle the longer barrel with no problem. Sure would appreciate some timely replies from you all... going to order it tomorrow morning. Thanks, 3chux.

#10 ·
I'm not an expert here but I recently bought a 687 Silver Pigeon II. I thought it was worth the extra $$. Have you held the two side by side? I did and I thought the 687 was better quality
This would most likely be differences between those two individual guns. Other than cosmetics, there shouldn't be any differences to expect. Mechanically, the guns are identical and the quality of the fitting should be the same for both models.

I compared different models and found more than once the economic model having better fit and finish than the higher priced gun, for example 686- and 682 specimens.

BG

#11 ·
I personally prefer the cosmetics of the Onyx. The jewelling looks better to me than the faux "engraving" on the SP II. It's more like a casting rather than engraving. Reminds me of the engraving that used to be on my cap guns. The money you save you could go toward some of that nice wood from Coles. Then you'd have a really nice piece.

#12 ·
The 687 will have Optima choked barrels while I believe the 686 has Mobil chokes. Not a lotta difference but if that's a factor for you....

There's not a lot of difference between the two. I've got a S 686 E myself and really like it. It isn't pretty but it works.

You'll be happy with either of them.

#15 ·
Are they the exact same materials as far as the mechanical parts as well? I bought a Weatherby Orion last year that is the same design as the Weatherby Athena but my Orion is of blued metal. They both have the same Greener style lock up but the metal is of a different type on the receiver. I don't know enough about the White Onyx vs. Silver Pigeon in this regard.

One of the things I liked about the Silver Pigeon in 20 gauge was the lightness of it and also the slight cast off in the stock. It really helps me get my eye in the right location. I now Beretta's Al391 also has cast off (or on depending on which way you flip the mechanism inside) is that also true of the White Onyx?

Any of you gunsmiths out there see any long term differences in the Weatherby/SKB style Greener lock up and the one on the Beretta? I'm asking that principally about long term wear and solidity of the mechanism.

#16 ·
If properly maintained a good Beretta or SKB type action will long outlast you or I. They're both solid as a mountain. I favor the Beretta (cause that's what I got) and have yet to see one that's been "worn out".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.