Shotgun Forum banner

Squirrel - It's What's For Dinner

22K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  ohio mike 
#1 ·
Louisiana Cajun's Squirrel Stew, from a Tony Chachere cook book. Easy to prepare and very tasty:

See less See more
#9 ·
Squirrel stew is GOOD! But I've never tried coon casserole. Fried squirrel with biscuits and gravy is delicious too. YUM!

#11 ·
Of course you've got to have a couple of fried eggs to go with that fried squirrel, biscuits, and gravy. And a big cup of hot coffee to wash it down with is a necessity too. :D

#15 ·
Used to eat those tree rats when I was young. I recall them being pretty good IF you bag a young one. No amount of cooking will tenderize an old one.

#16 ·
Looks like that recipe is missing a few biscuits. :)

@casonet, take an olddd fox squirrel and par boil til meat is just about falling off the bones. Dice up carrots, potatoes, and onions and nuke them for about 10 min maybe with a dash of thyme or basil, salt n pepper. Add the squirrel and put the mixture in a couple of those ready to bake pie crust and make a couple of pasties in the oven for about 25 min. Works well with the tough ones.

#18 ·
Dustinharee said:
Oh man I love some squirrel. Ive been meaning to grill it some time. Any suggestions with a gas grill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMHO, I'd pressure steam it for 15 minuets first, so it's tender.
Squirrel session runs along with other small game hunting sessions, but heck yea! they are delicious. You might come back with a few squirrels, a rabbit, and a turkey; you never know.

#21 ·
I tried....I really....truly....tried. But my mind kept telling me, " You`re eating a bushy tailed tree rat. " That was it ! That was back in 1974. Never since. And it`s the ONLY thing that`s made me squeamish. Not snails, not alligator, not oysters ( raw ), not snake, not nothing. Just squirrel. Go figure.

#23 ·
I might point out that squirrels eat mainly tree nuts, arguably a healthy diet. Chickens, on the other hand will eat the nastiest fare imaginable including maggots out of a rotting animal carcass. And people prefer chicken?

#25 ·
casonet said:
I might point out that squirrels eat mainly tree nuts, arguably a healthy diet. Chickens, on the other hand will eat the nastiest fare imaginable including maggots out of a rotting animal carcass. And people prefer chicken?
I know, I know.I`m fully aware that my aversion is totally irrational ! :oops:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.