It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New sporting clays shotgun for around $4000
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well--mine was fitted , and then I added a recoil reducing device.

It never stopped kicking like a rented mule. I sold it to a well warned person. He sold it soon after. And admitted I'd warned him.

I've "heard" that they changed the stock geometry. Or they would have gone out of business.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

Last edited by sera on Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

sera wrote:
Well--mine was fitted , and then I added a recoil reducing device.

It never stopped kicking like a rented mule. I sold it to a well warned person. He sold it soon after. And admitted I'd warned him.

I've "heard" that they changed the stock geometry. Or they have gone out of business.

Since Bill McGuire just won the 2016 Nationals with an F3, I am sure he will be shocked to find out that his gun manufacturer went out of business. I'll also tell Jason Ward when I see him this weekend that he needs to find a new skeet gun since Sera said Blaser has gone out business! After all, I am sure you know more than they do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm glad you're happy w/ yours. I sold mine and that made me happy.

My advice to the OP was get an O/U OVER 8 lbs or he'll be sad.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

drawdc wrote:
Poor thing! I am sorry the recoil was so rough on you. I'll have to tell all the teenage girls that shoot an F3 to stop because it has too much recoil. If a 115 lbs., 12 year old girl can shoot one in competition, you should be able to handle it. Obviously the gun didn't fit you as well as you thought.

Oh look! Sarcasm! This is surely helpful because you know everything and therefore my experience with F3 cannot possibly be legitimate.

sera wrote:
draw: The early F 3's were recoil beasts. I had one and will never spend another $ on a Blaser.

^^^ This. I guess, sera is a "poor thing" too.

www.extremechokes.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

I also had a F3 for about 3 years and I also tried everything including putting a $1500.00 G2 recoil unit on it and it still kicked. So I moved mine along also. If yours doesnt kick great for you but you might be the one in the minority. BTW I bought mine new in 2009 so things may have changed since then.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

The posts above bring to mind the punch line from the Certs ads that anybody of TV-watching age in the 60s will remember – “Stop! You’re both right!”

I’ve heard enough people say that Blasers used to kick hard (felt recoil) to believe that there must be some truth to it. It must have been something to do with the stock configuration because the gun’s weight is similar to other sporting guns, so actual recoil would be much the same.

Whatever it was, they must have fixed it because the recoil from my F3 (bought a year ago) is about the same as other sporting O/Us I’ve shot, not noticeably different either way and certainly not a problem with the loads I typically shoot (1 oz. @ 1235-1280).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

Shot 200 rounds one day last week with a demo F3. No issues with recoil. Not suggesting that the F3 is the do-all but rather to give whatever gun a good demo. Thanks The and

Blaser F3 Super Sport (12 ga.)
Browning 725 Sporting (12 ga.)
Benelli SS (12 ga.)
Browning Citori Ultra XS Sporting (20 ga.)
Browning Citori Lightning (28 ga.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:58 am 
Tournament Grade

How did you arrange for a demo like that? Seems like a great way to check out a potential purchase.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:27 am 
Tournament Grade

Regarding the CG choice ... I prefer the 32" Ascent line for SC -- mid-rib, nice balance, excellent mechanics and premium service after the sale. You can get a new Summit Ascent close to the price point you mention.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:47 am 
Diamond Grade

Don't exclude a used gun that has a transferable lifetime warranty, i.e. CG. You can probably save yourself $1,000 unless you want your own, "new gun."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:58 am 
Utility Grade

I really do like the cg guns. But I want to try some others before I commit to it. I don't want to buy one and find out down the road there was something better for me the whole time. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:01 pm 
Field Grade

Just purchased an F16 and have about a flat through it with an assortment of shells,7/8,1 and 1 1/8 oz.
I'm pretty recoil sensitve and was very surprised that without the additional weights or installed recoil reducer, I had no issues.
Bought the gun as it really fit well,and I am absolutely convinced fit is everything especially with effects of recoil. Unfortunately I learned this lesson the hard way including a trigger flinch,that melted away with various 20's and semi autos.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Texas Yankee wrote:
Don't exclude a used gun that has a transferable lifetime warranty, i.e. CG. You can probably save yourself $1,000 unless you want your own, "new gun."

I wouldn't even worry about the lack of warranty. Guns are relatively simple and unless they are beat up, there's little that will need attention in a long time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:32 am 
Field Grade

Zoli Kronos!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:30 am 
Field Grade

I was debating back and forth over the same options, $4500 max budget, etc. I was heavily considering several CG guns, and didn't love the way it felt. I was looking at the 725 pro-sporting becasuse it was a full featured gun, with all the modern sporting amenities for about $1000 less than the rest of that class. I loved the mechanical triggers on the 725, they're crisp, consistent, and light. I just can't get over that forend shroud appearance, and it felt a bit bbl heavy, just wasn't for me. The 692 32" B-Fast Sporting fit me great, the fit and finish of the gun was first class, the triggers were very good, not great, but excellent, and I like the balance point and the adjustable comb. The Optima HP chokes are very good, no need to buy $300+ of Briley or Tru-Lock after market chokes like you'd have to with the 725 (I have a new A5, and the Browning DS chokes are way off--hence I have a set of ext. Try-Loks). I got my 692 for Christmas last year, so in a year I probably have put 3000 rounds through that gun, maybe more, and no issues--it's a smooth shooting gun, attractive wood (not as nice as the Etchens custom EELL 687's), and is incredibly soft shooting, more so than any of my autoloaders.

1100 G3
Spartan o/u
870 Wingmaster
870 Tactical
105 CTI
Versamax (faux wood)
V3 Walnut

Mossberg
500 Synthetic
Youth 505 bantam

Browning A5 Ultimate
Benelli Legacy Sporting II
Beretta 692 Sporting

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:01 am 
Crown Grade

adeluca73 wrote:
I got my 692 for Christmas last year, so in a year I probably have put 3000 rounds through that gun, maybe more, and no issues--
No ejector issues?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

In the 4-4.5 price range, shop used. If you don't get in a hurry, you should be able to pick up a good clean Z-Sp, F3, L1, or DT10, and if you're lucky, you might find someone who really wanted out of an MXS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:35 am 
Field Grade

Sobrepuesta wrote:
adeluca73 wrote:
I got my 692 for Christmas last year, so in a year I probably have put 3000 rounds through that gun, maybe more, and no issues--
No ejector issues?

None. No issues at all, functions flawless. Another 100 rounds today of smooth running. I've never used the extractor feature, so I cannot comment on what using that would do to the gun, or what switching back and forth would do. I don't have a problem catching the empties at the range with the ejectors, so I have no need for extractors.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:27 am 
Crown Grade

Well that's good to know. I do wonder if those who do have ejector problems in their 69X series are higher volume shooters (10K+ rounds/yr).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Sobrepuesta wrote:
Well that's good to know. I do wonder if those who do have ejector problems in their 69X series are higher volume shooters (10K+ rounds/yr).
The 'O' rings wear out with total round count, whether in 1, 3, 5 years or whatever. The ejectors never failed on mine but after about 12K the 'O' rings were all damaged and one had snapped. Of the 2 known issues with these ejectors, worn out or failed 'O' rings is pretty minor and doesn't prevent the gun from being used. The ejector fault you really don't want is the selector lug snapping off and of course that can happen at any time.

1 or 2 posters on here claim the ejector problems are now fixed but if I was buying a new 692 right now I'd still stock up on 'O' rings and order in a pair of selectors.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next