Shotgun Forum banner

Will this forend fit an older Mossberg 500 ATP?

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  drahcirl 
#1 ·
Hi,

I know this forend is not the "original" type that was on the early 80s Mossberg 500 ATPs.

I just want to know if it will fit.

My shotgun has the double bar action and the action slide itself is 7 3/4"

Here is the description of the forend I'm asking about:
---------------------------
"Mossberg 500 Shotgun Forend, 12 & 16 Ga., Double Bar Type, Rat Tail Style.

This is the double bar type forend for the Mossberg 500 Shotguns chambered in 12 & 16 Ga.

Has oil finish/rat tail style.

Dimensions: 8" x 1.5 "
---------------------------

Will this fit my old 500 ATP?

I bet wfb18 knows. : )

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'll take a guess that it will, although a posting link to the product listing would be helpful.

If it has the longer 7-3/4" metal action tube and the forend is held onto that tube with a removable collar nut in front then you should be good to go.

If the forend is permanently pinned to the action bar it is the newer style. It will still fit your gun and work fine as long as it has the two action bars, but you will not be able to easily change fore ends only on the same action tube, you need to change the entire assembly.

#4 ·
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/554770.htm#561020A
#561020A MOSSBERG 500 Forend, Rat-Tail, 12 & 16 Ga. (Double Bar Type) $20.90

Yes, it will fit. I never heard one of them called a rat-tail forend though, and investigating I learned that Numrich's also calls it a rat-tail forend, so rightly or wrongly wherever I have written of a corncob forend, that is what I meant. This was the first gun that I bought with such a wood forend.

#5 ·

The Mossberg 15 ring /16 groove, police / corncob / rat-tail corncob forend that you want was probably introduced to look more like the old 19 ring Winchester Model 12 riot gun forends, a nice touch to interest LE buyers nostalgic for the Model 12. Below is the earlier, blockier Mossberg 500ATP 16 cut per side forend like your gun has. This gun has serial number H9XXXXX so it was also made in 1982 like your gun.

#6 ·
Never seen that forearm called anything BUT a corncob. Strange. Might be a yankee thing.

Back when, before Ebay, heck, before Shotgun News, even, there were no easily replaced stocks and forearms and all. You made, or you made do, or you did without. We used to use common PVC pipe to make forearms. That corncob forearm was a common pattern.

Agreed with Wfb. I just measured mine and it's pretty gosh darned close to exactly 8" long and it's mounted on a 7 5/8" slide tube. To be honest, after thinking it over a bit, I don't think I have ever seen a corncob that fitted anything BUT the 7 5/8" tube. Not one over quite a few years. Even the current tactical guns all use the 7 5/8" slide tube. The aesthetics of the wood guns, the current length fad, goes up and down....all the hunting and sporting guns use the 6 1/2" right now....but the tacs are all still 7 5/8".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.