Shotgun Forum banner

eye dominance question

6K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  jer901 
#1 ·
I am left handed and have been shooting shotgun right handed, eye doctor says my eyes are close to even, so I thought I would try left handed and its feels a lot smoother, but the more I shoot in a session, my right eye starts to take over as I get tired, any tricks I can use to help my left eye?

#4 ·
You could try a blinder over your right eye. Problem is, if your right eye is taking over, you're probably right eye dominant and should shoot with that side. I'm the opposite way; I am right handed but left eye dominant, so I shoot left handed. I used to just use my left eye and hold my weapon right handed, but I forced myself to switch and became a better shot as a result.

#6 ·
I'm a Southpaw who's been left eye dominant my whole life...until recently (within the past year and a half. Seventy years one way and then POW I wake up with what's called"central vision". Suddenly I can't hit a clay pigeon suspended on a string.

Chris Batha introduced me to a thingie called "shotspot" (spelling?). It almost immediately solved the problem and I returned to my former lousy shooting self. However, I can hit clay pigeons tethered to a string every time and Chris is working with me on the rest.

It's a small seemingly clear dime sized lens on the right lens of my shooting glasses and now, with the dot in place, my eye dominance problem disappears. I don't know where you get them or what they cost, but you could probably Google it. I'm guessing having a friend to help you find the right spot on the lens to place the dot would be helpful. The dot appears to be some kind of mylar and is applied like decal and can be moved until you get it just right.

I don't remember the cost, but it was chump change and a lot cheaper than having a special lens made for my shooting glasses.

#10 ·
Near central eye dominance, as the OP has, is a royal pain. I know, because I live it as well. Although my dominance is slightly left biased.

Took quite a while to determine the real issue with my inconsistent shooting, and then I tried every device and gimmick available to enable me to continue shooting right handed. Finally decided I had nothing to lose, and switched shoulders. Took about 1,000 shells to feel natural, and my visual comfort was much greater. Shooting became much more consistent and I improved as well.

Importantly though, I still must use an occluder (Scotch tape) over my right eye. Such is the bane of those unfortunate enough to have central or indeterminate eye dominance.

Lastly this: those that don't have central or indeterminate eye dominance issues have no clue what those that have it experience, and how difficult it makes successful clay shooting.

Good luck and safe shooting.

#11 ·
Trapperjohn01 said:
Near central eye dominance, as the OP has, is a royal pain. I know, because I live it as well. Although my dominance is slightly left biased.

Took quite a while to determine the real issue with my inconsistent shooting, and then I tried every device and gimmick available to enable me to continue shooting right handed. Finally decided I had nothing to lose, and switched shoulders. Took about 1,000 shells to feel natural, and my visual comfort was much greater. Shooting became much more consistent and I improved as well.

Importantly though, I still must use an occluder (Scotch tape) over my right eye. Such is the bane of those unfortunate enough to have central or indeterminate eye dominance.

Latly thiss: those that don't have central or indeterminate eye dominance issues have no clue what those that have it experience, and how difficult it makes successful clay shooting.

I'll take it one step further....I think everybody has it happen to them and they simply don't realize it. They think they just missed. They did, but it was because the off eye took over.

Had a lady shooter all the sudden could not hit a low eight...told her to shoot a foot behind it...smoke. She could hit it every time like that....yet she still would not admit it was a cross fire/eye dominance issue.

I see it happen quite often. Everybody hollers you're behind...still can't hit. I say close your off eye and it breaks. But, those folks are convinced they do not have a issue. It is a devilish problem....it comes and goes in some folks. Fatigue, heat, light conditions all seem to come into play here.....never know when it is going to happen.

Some folks just will not use a dot, I suppose because because they would rather miss. You can lead a horse to water, but some will still spend a lotta money for a coach to "fix" them

#12 ·
Mismost said:
Trapperjohn01 said:

Latly thiss: those that don't have central or indeterminate eye dominance issues have no clue what those that have it experience, and how difficult it makes successful clay shooting.

I'll take it one step further....I think everybody has it happen to them and they simply don't realize it. They think they just missed. They did, but it was because the off eye took over.

Had a lady shooter all the sudden could not hit a low eight...told her to shoot a foot behind it...smoke. She could hit it every time like that....yet she still would not admit it was a cross fire/eye dominance issue.

I see it happen quite often. Everybody hollers you're behind...still can't hit. I say close your off eye and it breaks. But, those folks are convinced they do not have a issue. It is a devilish problem....it comes and goes in some folks. Fatigue, heat, light conditions all seem to come into play here.....never know when it is going to happen.

Some folks just will not use a dot, I suppose because because they would rather miss. You can lead a horse to water, but some will still spend a lotta money for a coach to "fix" them
A couple of years ago I attended a two-day shooting school nearby. Classes are normally 4-8 shooters, but I was the only one on this particular date. It was great - I got all the attention from two fantastic instructors and I got to shoot a lot. On day two about half way through the morning, all of a sudden I couldn't hit a thing. Shots that I had consistently powdered the first day, I was consistently missing. Both instructors, almost simultaneously, told me it looked like my right eye was was taking over and suggested I close it for the next few shots. Sure enough, closing my right eye solved the problem.

Until that day, I never had any idea that my eye dominance could or would change due to fatigue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.