It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ugartechea Maker's Label
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:39 pm 
Field Grade

About 10 years ago, in a thread here, a source for Ugartechea trade labels was mentioned (Messina in NY state)

The phone has been disconnected and my letter returned as underliverable.

I anyone bought or has an Ugartechea trade label, I'd appreciate a description: dimensions, material (I think it's card stock) and color (e.g. white, ecru, etc.).

I have a decent photo of one and thought that I could make some up.

Of course, if there's current info on Mr. Messina, that'd be great.

If I end up making some up, I'll post. I'm thinking cost + mailing.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Ugartechea Maker's Label
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:40 pm 
Crown Grade

I've got one in my 257's gun case. I'll have to get to it tomorrow afternoon. Field Trial Association meeting this evening, skeet shoot tomorrow morning, I'll fit it in before mowing the 3 acres. (gotta learn how to slow down)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:38 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks very much. I've tried retirement twice and am back to work again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:25 pm 
Field Grade

I'll take one if you do !!

tda003 wrote:
About 10 years ago, in a thread here, a source for Ugartechea trade labels was mentioned (Messina in NY state)

The phone has been disconnected and my letter returned as underliverable.

I anyone bought or has an Ugartechea trade label, I'd appreciate a description: dimensions, material (I think it's card stock) and color (e.g. white, ecru, etc.).

I have a decent photo of one and thought that I could make some up.

Of course, if there's current info on Mr. Messina, that'd be great.

If I end up making some up, I'll post. I'm thinking cost + mailing.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have the proper leather to make trade labels. Already cut to size ant the proper thickness. In fact this is the leather used for trade labels.

John Boyd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:44 pm 
Field Grade

qualityarms wrote:
I have the proper leather to make trade labels. Already cut to size ant the proper thickness. In fact this is the leather used for trade labels.

John Boyd

So you can make any of them?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:03 pm 
Crown Grade

I finally got the label measured. It is 6.11" wide by 4.446" tall. The color is what I would call off white or eggshell white, not cream colored. The material is thin card stock, somewhere between a 3X5 card and thick copier paper. There is a lot of script and coat of arms on there. I have pictures if you will PM me with your E-Mail address, I haven't figured out my Photobucket replacement yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:01 am 
Tournament Grade

It is not economical to make just a couple or one.

Best

John Boyd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:01 am 
Tournament Grade

It is not economical to make just a couple or one.

Best

John Boyd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:08 pm 
Field Grade

Riflemeister: Thank you. I sent you a PM with my e-mail.

qualityarms: Actually, once I get the label information, I'll contact a printer and do a minimal run, which should be approximate 50. I'm guessing, due to the non standard label size, printing could run possibly $2 - $3 each cut to size. I'm guessing cardboard/corrugated protection, small manila envelope and postage should put them around $5.00 - $6.00 @ (just a SWAG). I'll post when I find out what the cost will be.

I have a photo of a William Ford makers label from his Price Street, Birmingham address. (I have some of the St. Mary's Street address labels.) He used black leather leather. My Wm. Ford boxlock was made in 1929 and that would be when he was at the St. Marys address. I'd like to do a minimum run of that label. Do you know anyone capable of producing them (black leather and gold embossed)?

Minimum run as that has to be a small market. I'll PM my e-mail or you can PM me with yours so that I can e-mail you a picture of the label. I have a clear paper label of the gold medals as they don't show well on the embossed leather labels. The medals are for his barrel work for which he was best known. (He started as a barrel maker for W. W. Greener.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:40 pm 
Field Grade

I found a local printer who thinks he can do the job (15cm x 11cm). I couldn’t enlarge riflemeister's
pictures (which he so kindly and quickly e-mailed to me, but shrank mine until the size was correct and printed it and printed riflemeister's so the printer will have a clearer image and more accurate color and will see him Monday.

I should have a pretty good idea of the expense involved then.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Paper labels are easy and cheap to make. If you want just one or two you should do it yourself.

I like the leather labels better as they look professional and not done on a printer.

John

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:47 pm 
Field Grade

I, too, prefer the look of leather labels. The issue is that Ugartechea used paper labels, as did many makers. I have neither seen nor heard of an Ugartechea leather or leatherette makers label. William Ford, however used both paper and leather labels depending on the time and location the shotgun was made.

Purdey, also, used both types during its production. I haven't found a genuine AyA paper label. Theirs appear to be leather with at least one example stitched to the felt inside the lid.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:59 pm 
Field Grade

The printer just called about the labels. I'll check on them tomorrow. If they turned out correctly, they'll run about $1.50 @ + s/h. I'll price that when I pick them up and come up with a total.

If you want to see what I consider to be a work of art, go to the Shotguns - General Forum and click on the Fitted Cases Jeffs Outfitters topic. At the bottom, I posted pictures of the work a friend did in re-fitting a Jeff's case for a William Ford 16 gauge boxlock for me. It's spectacular.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:52 am 
Crown Grade

tda003 wrote:
The printer just called about the labels. I'll check on them tomorrow. If they turned out correctly, they'll run about $1.50 @ + s/h. I'll price that when I pick them up and come up with a total.

If you want to see what I consider to be a work of art, go to the Shotguns - General Forum and click on the Fitted Cases Jeffs Outfitters topic. At the bottom, I posted pictures of the work a friend did in re-fitting a Jeff's case for a William Ford 16 gauge boxlock for me. It's spectacular.

I saw your reworked case. That is a work of art.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:55 pm 
Field Grade

The labels are $1.50 ea. s/h is $1.75 while my supply of cd mailers last. If you'd like one, pm me. Actual size is 15 cm x 11 cm (about 6 x 4).