Shotgun Forum banner

Remington V3

28K views 146 replies 58 participants last post by  fblainen11 
#1 ·
Hey there guys.... looking at maybe getting myself a V3 as was wondering what the thoughts of anyone that may have one are?

Thanks in Advance

#77 ·
Good morning,

I purchased my V3 back in May. Took it to the club, shot 50 through it with no issues. Shooting 1oz estate #8. Took it to a buddies house, shot a hotter load of estate #8 and got the hot blowback in the face. Shot some Winchester steel 3" #4 through it with no issues. I have read most of the threads on this but didn't see anyone mention if they noticed it was load specific for the blowback. Also my front bead fell off already, Remington sent me a new one and that one has fallen off as well. I want to keep the gun, and for what I paid for it a couple months to what they are now I basically have to keep it. I would like to get a fiber optic for the front but unsure which one will fit. I believe the rib with is the same as an 870 or 1100??? Is this accurate? Thank you for your time.

#78 ·
FishingBen said:
So where is the best deal right now? I'm game to try one with a $100 rebate.
Same here. I've been waiting for a 3" wood stock version of the versamax system to come out and reach a decent price since way back when the versamax came out. What has it been, 5 or 6 years now? Apparently I missed it by a few weeks.

I just purchased a walnut V3 at one of the closing Gander Mtn stores two weeks ago. In store price was $449, and Remington started a $100 rebate that same day. $349 for a walnut V3 after rebate....

#79 ·
I've put about 100 rounds through my black synthetic V3. Just recently I ran into an issue where Federal Top Guns would double feed. Switched over to Remington Gun Clubs and they ran flawlessly. Not sure what could cause that but I plan to do a full cleaning and test again with the Federals later this month.

I really wish Remington would come out with some shims for this. I can use a bit more cast off on this gun to get it to fit better. As it is, I'm having to cram the buttstock closer to my centerline and now riding more of my collar bone than I'm comfortable with.

#83 ·
RandyWakeman said:
They didn't, and Remington did change their minds . . . deciding not to pursue shims due to lack of interest.
If Remington feels that manufacturing shims is something that customers want, and, that customer demand will add sufficiently to sales to offset the costs they will manufacture shims. Heck, if enough people convince Remington that painting the guns purple will boost sales enough they would look do it. Remington is in the business of selling guns, they will do whatever is prudent to accomplish that end. If no one contacts Remington letting them know that they want shims Remington will never make them.

#86 ·
RandyWakeman said:
Stock Shims for the current time are not moving forward, we are still seeing very little need when compared to what we originally thought would be requested - - - Remington Management, 8/25/2017.

That's the word, straight from the top, and I have nothing further.
Randy, I'm not asking for anything further from you. Your quote from Remington leaves room for them to reconsider their present policy. If there is sufficient consumer demand they are free to reverse their current position on the matter. If "seeing very little need" changed to "we see sufficient consumer demand" then their policy would likely change, that is all I am suggesting. I for one sent them an email expressing my desire for shims. I think others who also want shims should send Remington a message letting them know.

#87 ·
Of course, everyone who wants shims (or everything else) should them know.

Shims won't happen without a completely new buttstock design: it isn't just quickly make a shim. Drop shims aren't easily possible, with the current stock.

Shims for the shim version of cast, that's a bit of a different story. The synthetic is neutral cast. If they decide to design a left-hand eject model, cast shims are probably a good path. As for the walnut, the benefit is dubious, for it takes minimal stock fitting to add a bit of cast either way.

The fundamental issue with shims is that they cannot do much, regardless of who offers them. Shims don't change the stock design or the stock dimensions, and those who want an adjustable comb (for example) can't remotely get there with any shim.

Remington knows their market. It is the old "short arm, deep pocket" syndrome. We claim we want well-finished guns. Yet, people buy many times the number of express models as they do Wingmasters. Folks claim to want top-quality shells, but they buy Gun Clubs, not STS loads.

A camo V3 is only $620 - $633 from Bud's, a black synthetic 28 inch is $563. Lots of things can happen if we are willing to pay for it. But, quite often, we aren't.

#88 ·
RandyWakeman said:
Stock Shims for the current time are not moving forward, we are still seeing very little need when compared to what we originally thought would be requested - - - Remington Management, 8/25/2017.

Well that didn't last.

Didn't take me long to remember why I and many others quit sgw. Ads and blowhards.

#90 ·
No, it's the "reporting" it four times in half a page of a web forum, the last time being after "That's the word, straight from the top, and I have nothing further." And berating people that dare to still want them and are considering calling Remington about it.

I have nothing against Randy, but if I wanted to read his material every other post, I would go to his website.

#92 ·
FullandFuller said:
RandyWakeman said:

Well that didn't last.

Didn't take me long to remember why I and many others quit sgw. Ads and blowhards.
Don't let that run you off. There is some really useful info on SGW. Occasionally you get chaff along with the wheat but that's to be expected in any group.

#93 ·
I have re-inlet a plastic stock on an 870 Express. I have made wooden shims for other 870's. I made a shim for my V3. All of these were easy to do. It does require some tools and basic wood working skills, but it is not "rocket surgery". The only major concession that one must be willing to make is that the stock bolt will need to bend. The bolt is long and I don't view the bend as too damaging, however, the bolt will need to bend. This weakens the bolt and puts slightly different stresses on the threads in the receiver and the body of the buttstock. I don't make a habit of removing the buttstock very often and once firmly in place the stresses stabilize.

For me I have not viewed my "fit" issues as an impediment to purchasing these guns. It is very different with a gun that has a recoil spring tube in the buttstock, or a gun with a tang that extends down into the buttstock. The V3 buttstock presents a flat face to the rear of the receiver.

#96 ·
I'm not a big fan of shims because they change everything: pitch drop at the heel a lot and at the comb hardly any, offset just a little when usually more is needed. I guess LOP stays the same. So, while they may of some limited utility to some shooters, they are mostly a wondrous boon to marketing people, the ones who describe ribs as leading the eye to the target faster and other feel good myths..

I did use the shims on my 391's, but I still had to cut every stock to try to get them the way I needed them. The "hinged" movement from the back of the receiver just isn't a very effective way to fit a stock for many, many shooters.

The wood-stocked V3's offer enough wood in the top of the comb to have an effective adjustable comb installation. The comb is thick enough to be able to cut a fair amount of offset in without being so thick it necessitates work on the com. LOP is as adjustable as it gets since there is no recoil spring tube to work around so it can be cut as short as anyone needs to, or stretched with spacers and thicker pads for anyone who needs to move in that direction. The flat-faced stock head makes it a viable candidate for re-inletting the head for offset, or as noted by some, making shims to install.

The synthetic stocks are a bit different story as the ability to do some of the modifications mentioned above is limited. Mybe some shims would be handy for them, but, again, one can whittle is own.

There are lots of reasons to buy/not buy a gun. I've got to agree with Remington on this one. The shims are so significant as to be the deciding factor on a purchase of a V3. Leave the shims to an enterprising shooter who has the means to produce them for the market that might be there.

#97 ·
Hmmmm, the shim system of the Versamax seemingly could have been modified and adapted to the V3 for a minimal increase in production costs. IMO, the "cheap" trigger frame material probably belies Remington's desire for their version of a "entry level" shotgun, aka: the "870 Express" version of a semi-auto. Also, have you ever considered the basis for a firearm warranty is likely because they need one? IMO, the Browning A5 in not having a warranty stipulation appears to simply be the case of a formal warranty as being a solution in search of a problem, with respect to that particular product.

#98 ·
M1ke said:
FishingBen said:
I'm appreciative of Randy's insider information. It helps me make plans for purchasing and whether to wait or buy now.
Same here. Randy was able to provide an answer faster than Remington's own customer service dept. did! :mrgreen:

Looks like I'll have to shoot it more and see if I can adapt.
This goes back three years by now, and it started with a rode hard and put away wet pre-production V3.

Countless changes were made from the pre-production version. At the time, I reported exactly what Remington told me at the time: "The V3 takes the standard RemChoke and while the supplied test article has just one choke and no extra shims, initial production models will have full shim kits but just one choke: a Modified." That was back in 2014.

I didn't make it up. The result was no stock shims, three choke tubes supplied, a Full choke that is rated for steel shot, etc. The walnut model was supposed to follow on the heels of the synthetic, but extended testing by Remington revealed that it took a whole new gas exhaust system to prevent forearm cracking of the walnut, and that's what it got. All V3's have lifetime warranties, the first autoloading shotgun ever sold that can make that claim. A lot has changed from three years ago.

The V3 has been successful for Remington, it is here to stay, there will be more models released in due course, and so it goes. What the V3 line-up is going to look like in two, three, or five years I have no idea. Consumers, dealers, reps, etc., weigh in on what they would like to see, just like they constantly do on anything and everything.

The sole reason for citing what Remington's shotgun manager recently said about the shims is this: some folks have the idea that shims are imminent, or just around the corner. They are not, they have not been designed yet, much less approved, much less put into production. Rightly or wrongly, Remington has taken a good look at this for over the last three years, and has decided that shims are not in the works.

Feel free to lobby Remington for shims, or anyone else. Personally, I'd love to see the V3 three inch action in a 6-1/2 lb. 20 gauge, but I don't automatically get what I want any more than anyone does.

Some likely want shims for a Browning BPS, an Ithaca M37, or the 870. I hope everyone gets what they want. The reality is that "you can't always get what you want . . . "

#100 ·
FullandFuller said:
RandyWakeman said:

Well that didn't last.

You quit?.................I guess many snowflakes need to retreat to their "safe place".

#101 ·
Thanks to the rebate a few weeks back i'm finally a V3 owner after reading about since Randy starting writing about it in 2015. Thanks Remington!

Now my question, are you guys putting any lube on the recoil springs or are you just putting a drop in the trigger group and a light coating in the receiver like it says in the manual? The springs seem a little stiff and I was just wondering if a drop on the springs would make the bolt a little smoother until the springs wear in.

I got the 26" black version and will be sending it off for a camo dip shortly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.