It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fabarm Elos Deluxe AL
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:24 pm 
Field Grade

Does anyone own a Fabarm Elos Deluxe AL 12 gauge? I don't find anyone discussing this gun and it surprises me. It looks like it should be great for a quick, light-weight, upland field gun. But, I can't find any place near me to try one and no one seems to have one that I can ask questions to. The one dealer listed on their website anywhere near me in Southeast Tennessee does not have one. Are people only buying the semi-auto Fabarms?
Ben
https://fabarmusa.com/elos-deluxe-and-elos-deluxe-al

Post subject: Re: Fabarm Elos Deluxe AL
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:06 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Not the aluminium, but I've used the Elos in both 12 and 20 gauge.

Orvis sells quite a few of them: http://www.orvis.com/s/orvis-shotguns-e ... t_id=54060 .

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:25 pm 
Field Grade

I really want to get my hands on one of them! The Aluminum specifically. I read YOU'RE favorable reviews which have drawn me closer to Fabarm. (I just bought an XLR5 Waterfowler sight unseen. Looks like a winner.) But I really want a very lightweight O/U in 12 gauge to carry in the field. My shoulders are not as young as they used to be and have become more sensitive to carrying weight than to recoil so I'm ready to make a purchase to remedy this. I have always had Citoris but I'm ready for new.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:39 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Other people feel differently, but I don't care for alloy receivers on O/Us one bit, and as far as the Elos models, I really prefer the handling of the 20 gauge. Sweet gun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:39 pm 
Field Grade

Randy, Thank you for your reply. What is it about the Alloy Receivers that you don't care for Specifically? Is the balance off? Does it cause them to transfer too much recoil? Or are they inferior in quality/durability in some way?
I would like to stay with a 12 gauge so that I don't have to buy another gauge shell to add to my list of expenses and things to stockpile and carry with me when shooting different guns even for different purposes. I know that may be odd, but it is part of my reasoning for looking at Alloy Receivered guns rather than going with a smaller gauge. Thank you in advance for any response.
Ben

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:11 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

FishingBen wrote:
Randy, Thank you for your reply. What is it about the Alloy Receivers that you don't care for Specifically?

They tend to be excessively front heavy, they kick harshly compared to the steel models they displace, alloy doesn't take engraving nearly as well as steel, steel weighs 2x what most aluminum alloys weigh but is 4x as strong, and a steel "insert" isn't any substitute for a steel receiver in an O/U.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:18 pm 
Field Grade

Excellent response Randy! That's exactly the insight I needed! So what's the lightest steel one they make? Is the case colored receiver heavier? Is there another brand or gun of the same price range that offers as much performance and features for the money? Thanks in advance for your insight.
Ben

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:45 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

If you are "stuck" on 12 gauge, the 6-3/4 lb. Fabarm L4S is a bargain, looks great, works great, is soft shooting, etc., etc. It is a better upland hunting gun than any 12 gauge O/U . . . at least for me. My version of upland is primarily wild pheasants.

Other than that, it is strictly 20 gauge time, at least for me, mostly 6-1/4 lb. gas guns. But, the steel Elos 20 is very nice, as is the 20 gauge steel Cynergy.

The Fabarm ELOS Deluxe 20 is an excellent handling vertical double that won't beat you up. The Browning Cynergy Field (formerly called the Euro Field) has taken several pheasants for me as well. While I've used four Cynergy 20 gauge examples and like them, they were all hampered by triggers that broke in excess of 6 pounds. The Fabarm ELOS is better not only aesthetically, but has 4 – 4-1/4 trigger breaks that are a dream come true after the Cynergy models.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:41 pm 
Field Grade

Excellent information. Thank you again for your insight.
Ben