It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Weatherby SA-08 Experience
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

This Weatherby SA-08 20 ga. is 7 years old and has taken taken all manners of small game, deer and waterfowl. As of February 2018, it has had in excess of 60,000 rounds shot through it, and to date, is has had absolutely "0" malfunctions! No failure to fire, no ejection problems, no nothing. From the lightest 5/8 oz. reload to the heaviest and or fastest duck load, it has never missed a beat. What I really love about this gun is the minimum felt recoil from it. It is one of the softest shooting 20 ga. shotguns that I have fired...

I will have to say one thing though, when I go out and shoot, whether it is a couple of rounds at the patterning board or a full day at the clays range, without exception, I ALWAYS clean my gun at the every day, regardless of how few or how many rounds I shoot through a gun. This gun is so easy to strip down and clean, that I do remove the trigger assemble, bolt, slide, spring, piston and such, and I do keep it clean! The only thing that gets oiled is the outside of the barrel, the rest just gets a good cleaning...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

duckgoosehunt wrote:
This Weatherby SA-08 20 ga. is 7 years old and has taken taken all manners of small game, deer and waterfowl. As of February 2018, it has had in excess of 60,000 rounds shot through it, and to date, is has had absolutely "0" malfunctions! No failure to fire, no ejection problems, no nothing. From the lightest 5/8 oz. reload to the heaviest and or fastest duck load, it has never missed a beat. What I really love about this gun is the minimum felt recoil from it. It is one of the softest shooting 20 ga. shotguns that I have fired...

I will have to say one thing though, when I go out and shoot, whether it is a couple of rounds at the patterning board or a full day at the clays range, without exception, I ALWAYS clean my gun at the every day, regardless of how few or how many rounds I shoot through a gun. This gun is so easy to strip down and clean, that I do remove the trigger assemble, bolt, slide, spring, piston and such, and I do keep it clean! The only thing that gets oiled is the outside of the barrel, the rest just gets a good cleaning...

Nice picture... is that the 26 inch barrel ? Looks a bit shorter ( which I might like even more )

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thank you ngzcaz...

No, that barrel length is 24" long. It originally came with a 28" barrel. I did not like the balance of the gun, so I sold that barrel and ordered the 24" barrel from Weatherby. This gun now excels as a lightweight upland bird and bunny gun, and as you can see from the picture above, ducks too...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

duckgoosehunt wrote:
Thank you ngzcaz...

No, that barrel length is 24" long. It originally came with a 28" barrel. I did not like the balance of the gun, so I sold that barrel and ordered the 24" barrel from Weatherby. This gun now excels as a lightweight upland bird and bunny gun, and as you can see from the picture above, ducks too...

I wasn't aware that it can with a 24 inch barrel or I too probably would have ordered it. Amazing how the eye can easily pick up those two missing inches. ( even old ones ) If anyone has the 24 and wished they had the 26.. hey email me for a swap.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:22 am 
Diamond Grade

The 24" bbl is what comes on the plastic-stocked youth/compact model 20ga. If you want wood furniture you'll need to get a Deluxe model and swap barrels.

From the pix it looks like this one might be an Upland model with a matte finish on the barrel and a satin finish on the wood rather than the high gloss finish on the Deluxe models. ?? I didn't know about the Upland models until my brother recently found one in 12ga. From what he's told me, W'by has discontinued the Upland models. Too bad. It's a nice option for those that don't want plastic but don't want to take a purty gun with a glossy finish out in the woods.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yes, this gun is the Upland model...

I looked at their Deluxe model when I bought this one, and it was way too pretty to get and take a chance on getting it all scratched up. The wood on that one looked like it was AA Fancy with a high polish blue on the barrel and receiver. I came really close to buying it for a show piece in the dove fields, where I wouldn't have to worry about it getting any marks on it.

Oh well, I'm more than satisfied with what I've got.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a 20 gauge SA 08 Deluxe. I have used it on clays, ducks with 3" shells and upland game with steel shot and have never had any issues with it. The light weight and remarkably low recoil make it fun to shoot in all situations (and accurate). I had a problem with a prior Upland 20 gauge and Weatherby was more than fair in dealing with it. You don't just buy the gun, you buy the company and Weatherby is top notch in customer service.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:36 am 
Field Grade

duckgoosehunt wrote:

Great post...just the kind of stuff I love to hear....The only depressing thing for me is the fact that if I had known how great these guns were, I would have bought a Deluxe instead of the Synthetic, as my experience has been the same but only about 1000 rounds fired, including 100's of Winchester Universals, which causes fits for other brands.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:05 am 
Tournament Grade

Rail's Hot Rize wrote:
duckgoosehunt wrote:

Great post...just the kind of stuff I love to hear....The only depressing thing for me is the fact that if I had known how great these guns were, I would have bought a Deluxe instead of the Synthetic, as my experience has been the same but only about 1000 rounds fired, including 100's of Winchester Universals, which causes fits for other brands.

This is from an old timer but to me " There's nothing like wood "...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:49 am 
Tournament Grade

Just yesterday took out a new SA-08 compact to shoot. Would not cycle 1oz heavy field loads with either piston. Would cycle 2 of 3 3" turkey loads with heavy load piston. Thinking I need to try a box of heavy field loads ( 1,300 fps ) with light load piston. This one anyway certainly appears to need a " break in ".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:27 am 
Tournament Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
Just yesterday took out a new SA-08 compact to shoot. Would not cycle 1oz heavy field loads with either piston. Would cycle 2 of 3 3" turkey loads with heavy load piston. Thinking I need to try a box of heavy field loads ( 1,300 fps ) with light load piston. This one anyway certainly appears to need a " break in ".

Interesting.. My SA-08 ( with only 2 boxes thru it in a couple of years ) was fed low brass target loads and functioned fine right of of the box..

As a side note of sorts my gun says only " Made in Turkey " but does not have a manufacturer. Does anyone have anything different on their gun ? Mine happens to be the Deluxe if that makes a difference.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:45 am 
Tournament Grade

Mine says "Made In Turkey" on the left side and "Weatherby" on the right...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

duckgoosehunt wrote:
Mine says "Made In Turkey" on the left side and "Weatherby" on the right...

That's what's written on mine. I was wondering if a manufacturer name is listed ie Kral, Khan,
etc Most of the Turkish shotguns I've looked at have the manufacturer on the barrel. I doubt Weatherby has a factory in Turkey using their name making these guns but then again, who knows ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

Yes, Weatherby has them made under contract in Turkey.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/weatherby_SA-08_shotgun.htm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:19 pm 
Field Grade

Does anyone know which limbsaver fits the SA08 12 gage? Is it the same as the PA08 12 gage? I could only find the PA08 12 gage on the Weatherby website. Thank you in advance.