It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The value of high end sporting guns
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:29 am 
Limited Edition

Frank12us wrote:
Putting aside wood, finishes, and engraving... the additional $$$ can be attributed to things like:

1. Drop out trigger
2. Boxlock vs. Sidelock
3. Barrel regulation/Soldering method
4. Type of lockup (Boss, etc.)
5. Fit/Tolerances
6. Adjustable Comb
7. CNC programing/Electrospark hardening
8. Metal quality (Boheler-Antnit steel, etc.)
9. Raised/Adjustable Rib
10. Modular components (eg. Blaser F3 barrels)
11. Adjustable weight
12. Trigger quality

A good summary - I would add 13) Balance/Weight distribution

As with most things, the law of diminishing returns applies. I've used the Hi-Fi analogy before: the difference between $100 consumer grade speakers and $250 lower-end hifi speakers is amazing. Between $250 and $1000 can be pretty impressive. Between $1000-5000 it becomes more subtle. Between $5000 and $10,000 it is almost indiscernible - 99.99% of listeners can't tell a difference and most of those that can don't care. Beyond that it's almost entirely cosmetic. It's like that with a lot of things - small changes at some point begin to yield fewer results and become more expensive to implement.

To me, guns like Brownings are like the first step into Hi-Fi. It's all you need to shoot competitive volume reliably, and many shoot them very, very well. Beyond that, improvements become expensive, and there are fewer and fewer people who care or are willing to pay for them.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Main reason -- ability to go thousands and thousands of rounds without mishaps. Yes, ANY gun can fail, but higher end guns fail less frequently.

Reason to own a higher grade of an already high-end gun? See Sera's answer -- many will actually APPRECIATE in value even through normal use...

The simple answer is, "K80, 32" flat-rib bbls, S&S custom stock, 55/45, Bornaghi 1oz 1250 7-½'s, M/M, Castelani, Lonesome Charlie, K-lube, qMaxx blue, Bore-snake, green Brake-cleen, and a very cold and dry Stoli martini."

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:51 pm 
Crown Grade

I shoot a Browning 725, I really like this gun. I have about 70000 rounds through it. I have replaced the firing pins once and I just replaced a broken extractor. I have owned it since 2011. The downside is you buy what is available, You can't get fixed chokes, no porting, custom wood dimensions, removable triggers etc... for that I would buy a Perazzi.

NSCA #551026

FORUMS are for ENTERTAINMENT ONLY. They don't teach shooting!

{RO

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Eriehunter wrote:
I shoot a Browning 725, I really like this gun. I have about 70000 rounds through it. I have replaced the firing pins once and I just replaced a broken extractor. I have owned it since 2011. The downside is you buy what is available, You can't get fixed chokes, no porting, custom wood dimensions, removable triggers etc... for that I would buy a Perazzi.

I am back shooting my Gti I bought new in 1994. It is somewhere in the 300K rounds mark. At 90K, I had springs and pins replaced. 7000? Something isn't right there.

As for the second part about Perazzi, I agree,. I hit the Powerball, or I can convince Bruce Buck to will me his 28 P gun; I'm all over that

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:39 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Eriehunter wrote:

I am back shooting my Gti I bought new in 1994. It is somewhere in the 300K rounds mark. At 90K, I had springs and pins replaced. 7000? Something isn't right there.

Read the quote again. I think you're off by a factor of 10. Eriehunter said "seventy thousand" not seven thousand.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:46 am 
Crown Grade

Prestige, pride of ownership, and value are in the eye of the owner! (And there's nothing wrong with that!)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:32 am 
Crown Grade

Vette Jockey wrote:
oneounceload wrote:
Eriehunter wrote:

Read the quote again. I think you're off by a factor of 10. Eriehunter said "seventy thousand" not seven thousand.

Argh, these old tired eyes; sure did miss a digit.....

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:47 am 
Diamond Grade

Many great posts above!

A friend of mine shoots a K gun and recently got a "deal" on a P gun. He prefers the P gun. Both guns are very nice, expensive, and he is a very avid. skeet shooter.

When I want to see some great eye candy, I visit the trap shooting area especially when a big shoot is being scheduled. Being a wood nut, I get to bathe my senses in very nice walnut!!!

Image? Is all about image? One of the best skeet shooters at our club shoots a Remington 870 28 gauge. I have seen him shoot many straight 25s. Perhaps it is true, it is not the arrow, but the Indian.

Enjoy what you want and can afford. After all this is not a dress rehearsal!

franchi

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

leomat wrote:
Perhaps it is true, it is not the arrow, but the Indian.

No "perhaps" about it 8)

The simple answer is, "K80, 32" flat-rib bbls, S&S custom stock, 55/45, Bornaghi 1oz 1250 7-½'s, M/M, Castelani, Lonesome Charlie, K-lube, qMaxx blue, Bore-snake, green Brake-cleen, and a very cold and dry Stoli martini."

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rudy Etchen showed us what could be done with an out of the box 870. Ed McGivern pulled off miracle shots with out of the box Smith and Wesson revolvers. Herb Parsons demonstrated what could be done with a rather mundane Model 12, and Tom Knapp with Benelli Shotguns. The Indian!

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Always the Indian. But sometimes the Indian like the more ornate bow and arrow:-)

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:46 am 
Presentation Grade

"Always the Indian. But sometimes the Indian like the more ornate bow and arrow:-)"

Very well said!