It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to: make a Winchester SX1 recoil buffer
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:44 am 
Utility Grade

As some of you may know, I made a post a couple of weeks ago asking about the SX1 Recoil Buffer. I was struggling to get one sent to Australia, where parts and support for this gun are limited (I have a feeling the one I have just taken ownership of is one of the only ones in the country!)

Thanks to extensive contact with Texaswheelgunner, I was able to source some dimensions and information about the buffer. Without his generosity and knowledge of these guns, this would not have been possible.

I'm hoping this will be useful for those in other countries where the SX1 is uncommon and parts are hard to come by. Mine didn't even have a buffer at all when I bought it! With the limited dimensions in this how to, a set of calipers should give you the rest of the dimensions you need. I had taken photos of every step but my memory card corrupted and I lost them all :x

BEFORE YOU START

You will need:

- A lathe that will take 1 inch bar stock

- 1 inch diameter polyurethane (I used an offcut of 80-90A duro approximately 4 inches long. Stuffed up my first one and still had enough leftover to make another and still grip OK in the headstock. Do not use anything softer as it will deflect away from the tool and not cut properly)

- I also ground a tool using the information from this website: http://www.sdplastics.com/polyurethane_machining.html

-Parting off tool

- A drill bit slightly larger than the rear of the firing pin

- calipers

- A course file

MEASUREMENTS

Before i started, I disassembled the gun and removed the stock. I used the calipers to measure the small hole above the recoil spring tube where the locating nipple of the buffer sits. I managed to get all the dimensions for the length and diameter of the nipple from this hole.

Moving to the taper at the rear of the buffer face, this tapered section locates in a hole drilled in the rear of the receiver with a large drill. In order to establish the correct angle of the tapered part of the buffer that sits in this hole, place a large drill in the head stock of the lathe (preferably the same size as the hole in the rear of the receiver, just to make sure it's the same) and angle your tool post so it runs parallel to the cutting angle of the drill bit. The scale on my tool post only went to 60 degrees and it was a fair way further than that. I just made a mark off the scale with a white out pen so i could clean it off later. Once you have made the mark, reset the angle of the tool post back to zero.

The buffer face that the bolt makes contact with has a diameter of approximately 22mm and extends for about 3.5mm. Do not make it too long as the bolt will not stay open. Better to be slightly smaller than too large.

Apologies for all of the approximate measurements but this stuff has a bit of a mind of its own when turning. Measure often. Run your lathe as fast as it will go to stop it chewing the material too much.

TURNING THE BUFFER

1. place your polyurethane in the headstock. Don't overtighten as even this harder stuff will deform. leave as little material as you can so it doesn't flex or alter your cuts. Check its spinning true, face off if required.

2. Turn the OD of the buffer, which is approximately 21mm ( approximately .830 inches, according to texaswhelgunner's measurements). I think mine ended up slightly larger and turned out ok. turn about 40mm of your polyurethane bar at this diameter, that should be enough to make one buffer.

3. Drill the hole for the firing pin through the middle of the buffer. Put the drill bit slightly larger than the rear of the firing pin in the tailstock. Drill the full length through the buffer. don't go too fast as you might chew up the poly or push it back into the headstock. You may need to center drill it first to be safe, but its quite a small hole.

4. turn the locator nipple. turn the nipple and the section where it passes through the receiver at the diameter of the largest section of the nipple. Angle the tool post slightly and take a small cut off the end. This will help the locator push into the back of the receiver more easily. this is the hardest part to turn, you will probably notice the deflection at this point. use your parting off tool to turn the material behind the nipple to the diameter of the hole through the rear of the receiver. This is the smallest diameter section of the entire buffer. i just entered twice with the parting off tool, one cut next to the other and this was wide enough.

5. turn the taper rear of the buffer face. Move the tool post back to the polyurethane cutting tool and set the angle to the white out mark you made earlier. move the tool post bit by bit, making cuts until you have formed an unbroken taper right down to the cut you made with the parting off tool in the previous step.

6. Part it off. Set the angle of your tool post back to zero. part off the buffer leaving about 3-3.5mm between the beginning of the taper and your parting off tool.

7. File out crescent for recoil spring. Use a vice to hold the buffer and file a crescent large enough to clear the recoil spring plug located in the rear of the receiver

and that's it! it honestly took me a lot longer to write it up than it did to make it. You could make 4-5 in an hour quite easily once you get the hang of it. Might be worth if for those in the states with the machinery rather than spending $100 or so for five buffers from a shop.

I understand it seems like a big job, but these guns really need this buffer. Hopefully these instructions will help some people keep their SX1's alive, especially in the further flung parts of the world!

Will try and add any more measurements I can find. There was a lot of imperial and metric measurements between those texaswheelgunner gave me and my own so I tried not to confuse everyone too much.

Post subject: Re: How to: make a Winchester SX1 recoil buffer
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:09 am 
Field Grade

Wow! Nice work - but if the 'recoil buffer' is the same as the 'bolt buffer', it's a $20 (US) part. I could have got one for you from Ebay and sent it to you.

I have a really nice SX1 that I bought new in the early '70s. I don't use it anymore. The metal is minty - the wood looks good from 2 feet. But years of duck hunting has put many tiny scratches on it. It's a great old cannon. I keep it in top shooting condition.

If you need some part in the future, check Ebay and PM me - we should be able to work something out.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:54 am 
Tournament Grade

I was under the impression that it was not legal in Australia to own a semi automatic shotgun or rifle. Is that true?

Regards,
Joe

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

Well bugger my tall hat - A UK saying for sod it.

When I got my first X1 the buffer was shattered so ordered one from Nu-line - I am talking 1998 ish and had to get it sent to someone I knew in US and they sent it over - Nu-line sent me one of the originals and it didn't last long - good job I ordered two -

The wife was a secretary to a director at a Plastic bag making factory and they had some very good engineers so gave buffer to one of them who did me a technical drawing of the buffer and also made me one - unfortunately we didn't know what plastic/rubber to use so they were brittle - In the end I got them from Wrights.

Only a few months ago I binned those drawings as I have sold all my X1's - So as I said - Sods law - Who would have ever thought after all these years they would come in handy for someone - I will check tomorrow but I am sure they got binned.

Good luck on your project - I know what it's like to have a gun and absolutely no spares in the country.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Joe,

You are right, for the most part. Semi automatic shotguns and rifles fall under separate firearms licenses. These licenses are only granted in circumstances where a traditional bolt/sxs/over under/ non semi auto firearm are not fit for purpose.

I have a conditional license for clay target shooting due to a medical condition. I bought the SX1 because I was looking for a reliable soft kicking gas auto loader. This license allows me to use it exclusively for clay target shooting. Other licenses can also be granted for primary producers with acreage, professional shooters, and collectors.

Dave, my buffer was totally smashed as well. The shop i bought the gun from advised it would only cycle 32gram loads. I took it all apart and found no buffer and the gas system O-ring was totally mangled. The shop had only test fired but luckily hadn't shot it too much and done damage inside the receiver.

There was one shop that would send a buffer out to me. They would not give me a total price for the buffer and shipping until I had committed to buy. I knew the buffer was $20 or so but some of the postage quotes I'd had from other places were astronomical. I didn't want to write anyone an open cheque so I thought that I'd look into making one.

Shame those drawings got binned! Would you believe, I had drawn one up and had it tacked up on the wall behind the lathe as I was making it. Went to get it to take a photo and upload it and mine had vanished too! Hopefully will be able to find them once ive turned the shed upside down. I thought about getting the buffer out of the gun and measuring it but once they're in, they really don't want to come out.

Thanks for the offer to send parts over. I actually already had another offer from texaswheelgunner but we were having some issues making it happen. I think there's some problem posting gun related bits.

I saw some woodsets on ebay that are absolutely gorgeous (seller is jerrys-attic3 , for anyone interested) but they won't ship over here. Until then, I've made a comb raiser from a can cooler with the bottom cut out of it. Not quite as nice but its doing the job 8) .

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:18 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the information. It's always nice to hear the whole story. I never fully trust something either read or heard, unless I can verify it from another source. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. Hope you have a great day and good luck in your search. Happy shooting my friend.

Regards,
Joe

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:16 am 
Diamond Grade

I thought those small black stops were for the feet of small tables - the nib bit goes in a hole you drill in bottom of leg to hold it in place - got nothing to do with guns ?? :shock: :shock:

You show me a customs man that would know what they are.

Dave

ps - searched high and low but I remember binning them - only hope I had was I scanned them to send someone a copy of it and he has died since. sorry.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:40 am 
Utility Grade

Dave, I like your thinking. 8)

Thanks or looking for the drawings anyway. Found my drawing before, it was in the swarf tray under the bed of the lathe. Was a pretty ordinary sketch but can hopefully get a decent copy loaded onto here soon. Might help others without a lathe if they can just pass the drawing onto someone and get them to turn one up for them.