Shotgun Forum banner

New to me Win 12, couple of questions

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  LilBoog 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I recently picked up a Winchester Model 12, 12g. From the serial number I gather it's probably a 1970's model? I don't know much about these shotguns. I thought it was nice looking and might be fun for shooting clays.

Is it just me, or are these things cantankerous as hell? I think I finally have the fidgeting down to disassemble/reassemble. Loading, especially single rounds at the chamber, is kind of a fumble (albeit I have decades of hand injuries that don't help). Loading thru the magazine port is just about as annoying. Is this a typical experience/impression? Forgive me if all this is so basic any idiot could figure it out easily - I'm a couple of steps below the idiot level.

Also, the gun has failed to fully eject a couple of times. Maybe I just didn't muscle it enough when pumping it?

Finally, the seller thought this was not the original stock. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? Looks like a "trap model" stock, but it's not stamped.

Thanks!

jm

See less See more
#6 ·
Originality of these incredible shotguns can be hard to determine. They were made in a dizzying array of configurations. The purple hue leads me to believe it may have been reblued, and the stock looks to me like it is not original to the gun. Provided the gun has a good amount of notches left in the adjusting sleeve it should serve you well for decades with little to no parts needing to be replaced.

It should be ten times smoother than a 870, and 50 times smoother than a Mossberg when cycling. As previously stated, take it out a few times and you will learn the gun. I am much more comfortable on a M12 than anything. Loading is quicker and smoother than any other shotgun I have fired, the safety is dummy proof, and taking it down for cleaning or parts inspections is a breeze. You can do it all by feel. That said, at first it was NOT a breeze when totally stripping it down. I was very uneasy when I did it the first few times, going a little further each time.

There are little quirks just like with every gun but after going through the motions a time or ten and you will not need a guide anymore, and chances are you will grow very fond of the mechanism and how well it is built.

Excellent shotgun you have there. A modern equivilent would cost north of 1K to be built today.

#7 ·
jmark: Your Model 12 is of the Y-model type built post 1964. The purple color of the receiver is most likely due to your's having a cast receiver rather than WP steel which is quite common with later Y Model guns as the WP receivers were either used up or saved for high end guns. . The purple tone, to the receivers, usually didn't show for a number of years but mostly with cast steel parts. .

For disassembly; be patient and don't force things. . This may help. viewtopic.php?f=60&t=394536

The ejection problem, your experiencing, could be caused from a small number of things but possibly either 1. The ejector or 2. The extractor. The Y-Model used cast parts with these rather than forged steel so this would be my first look see. You can try arcing the ejector spring slightly to begin with but if it were me I'd just replace both parts.

When taking your M12 down, practice makes perfect combined with patience and you'll soon learn what a marvel these guns are from bygone days. . Might not be a bad idea to keep a look out for an original stock. .

Rod

#8 ·
Thanks! Very very helpful comments. I just had the receiver partially apart, didn't try to disassemble the trigger group or bolt assembly. Next time. In the meantime, here's the adjusting sleeve -

Appears to have plenty of room to go, and seems pretty tight as it is. I'll look into getting a new ejector and extractor. Kinda like the stock as it is. :)

#12 ·
When that Y-model was made, cartridges had a brass base, now most manufactures use steel with a brass wash, that could cause your sticking. Happened to me in my 20ga. Try a different brand of ammo. Keep shooting it, I always get fine compliments at the clubs I shoot at. Notime2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.