Shotgun Forum banner

Did anybody do ANYTHING today?

229K views 4K replies 162 participants last post by  SteelCut 
#1 ·
I did!! For the first time in a couple years I went trap shooting. After about a 20 year lay-off four clubs are getting together to revive the Hangover Trap League. I shoot for the skeet team at one of them so what the heck. Today was the first shoot and happened to be at my club. There's a total of eight shoots, two at each club, and a shoot-off. $2/week/shooter goes to prizes, so I don't think many ringers are going to spoil the fun. All four of these clubs are just around the north end of Seneca Lake from me. Three are within 10 miles and one I've never been to is maybe 30 miles down some beautiful country roads. I hope spring gets here because the top-down Mustang is ready to roll!

I don't think I ever posted a pic of my home-made custom trap gun. I found this in a little Mom & Pop gun shop when I was killing time at the Waverly NY Auto Auction. Paid $200 NIB never fired. It's the Nat. Wild Turkey Foundation raffle gun from 2007 made by H&R. I put the custom pad on with a spacer for some extra LOP, not a bad do-it-yourself effort, if I must say so! I added some serious weight in the stock, those H&R's kick like mules! Got a hammer extension, an IM choke, and I load really light 7/8 oz. loads.

First station today I missed three birds, then nailed 18/20 the rest of the way. I kinda forgot how to float the birds. Ended up with a 37/50. I'll take it. I had a blast!.........................the Mailman

See less See more
#1,677 ·
The damn city sold my golf course and it is now permanently closed. It was a great course, semi-private and I've been a member there for 12 years. No notice, no letter to members about impending doom, just pull the flags and lock the doors.

I can't justify either of the two country clubs in town and wouldn't join a country club even if I won the lottery. I'm pi$$ed. :x :x :x

#1,678 ·
jer901 said:
The damn city sold my golf course and it is now permanently closed. It was a great course, semi-private and I've been a member there for 12 years. No notice, no letter to members about impending doom, just pull the flags and lock the doors.

I can't justify either of the two country clubs in town and wouldn't join a country club even if I won the lottery. I'm pi$$ed. :x :x :x
Maybe they're telling you it's time to move out west again and get a bird dog to keep you active. Sometimes it takes something like them closing your golf course to get you out of your comfort zone and re-evaluating what you are doing with your life.

#1,679 ·
Condolences, jer901. I'm sorry you lost your links and don't like your local private CC's. If I had to choose between my membership at 'THE' Geneva Country Club (est. 1890!!) and my shooting sports I'd have a hard time deciding which was more important. I mean, I golfed every day this week (walking!!) and tomorrow I'm going to shoot my scheduled summer skeet league, after a 45 minute drive just to get there. I really enjoy both activities as I'm assuming you do. Hope you can find a happy solution.

Can the private clubs really be that bad??.......................the Mailman

#1,680 ·
mailman said:
Condolences, jer901. ..........

Can the private clubs really be that bad??.......................the Mailman
They are country clubs, complete with ridiculous initiation fees, outrageous annual dues, monthly spending/dining requirements, and all the other hoity toity foofaraw that goes with "elite" country clubs. I actually don't know how this town of 65,000 can support two.

The club I lost was semi-private but reasonable membership and membership had its benefits.

I've played the local public - ex-military course a few times and it's ok. Just not the same as it's not well kept. I've played a semi-private in the next town as well. Right now it's what I have.

#1,681 ·
I actually did this on Friday and am a day late. I recently bought a Shotkam and took it skeet shooting Friday morning for two rounds. It showed I wiggle the gun around too much prior to calling for the clay. Watching the video afterwards seemed to be more fun than actual skeet shooting.

#1,682 ·
That's a shame about the golf, jer901. When I say I golf @ 'THE' GCC, it is the only private club in town. We have the best super in the area and unlimited water for the course as we're on the north end of Seneca lake with direct access. I've never played on a more pristine venue. I have a senior (over 60) membership which allows me to play M-F, tee off or make the turn by 11:00 AM. It fits my schedule perfectly. With no extra charges my yearly membership costs a whopping $600! In my posse we all are walkers, but if you want to ride you can get unlimited cart use for another $600. Our senior dues are actually $200 less/yr. that the two local public courses nearby.

Good luck with your playing time. My group here realizes how lucky we are.............the Mailman

#1,683 ·
I used to a lot of golf years ago. I enjoyed the game but completely gave it up because I determined that to hold your own or improve that I would need to play at least twice a week or more. I just didn't have the time, so I gave it up entirely.

#1,684 ·
mailman said:
That's a shame about the golf, jer901. When I say I golf @ 'THE' GCC, it is the only private club in town. We have the best super in the area and unlimited water for the course as we're on the north end of Seneca lake with direct access. I've never played on a more pristine venue. I have a senior (over 60) membership which allows me to play M-F, tee off or make the turn by 11:00 AM. It fits my schedule perfectly. With no extra charges my yearly membership costs a whopping $600! In my posse we all are walkers, but if you want to ride you can get unlimited cart use for another $600. Our senior dues are actually $200 less/yr. that the two local public courses nearby.

Good luck with your playing time. My group here realizes how lucky we are.............the Mailman
Mailman my old club was a lot like that, except I'm in south Georgia. I also had a senior membership - $60/month or $600/year as well. Unlimited play M-F and after noon on Sundays. Carts, if you wanted one, were $15/18 holes. I am also a walker - I carried my bag until I was 65 then I bought a push cart. The only time I used a club cart was in tournaments. If the course wasn't backed up, and it never was at 7 AM on weekdays, we could walk 18 in 3-1/2 hours, have lunch in the clubhouse, and done or play another 9 or 18 if we wanted.

Lots of water and an occasional alligator. The super did a good job taking out water moccasins and the gators never bothered anyone. I've played a few really nice courses in my life - this course was as well maintained as any of them. It wasn't particularly long, just 7000 yards from the championship tees, 6300 from the members tees, but it wasn't a pushover. Shot placement was more important than length off the tee. It was a plenty adequate challenge for guys like me that carry an index around 7 to 9. Lots of pine tree lined fairways as are common in the south, water on 10 holes, and big greens with a lot of tricky pin placements. I loved the course, and it's about to be covered up with asphalt and houses.

I don't mind driving a half hour to play a couple of times a week, so I can go in four directions and play decent courses for a reasonable price. It's just not the same. But I will survive.

#1,685 ·
billwnr said:
I actually did this on Friday and am a day late. I recently bought a Shotkam and took it skeet shooting Friday morning for two rounds. It showed I wiggle the gun around too much prior to calling for the clay. Watching the video afterwards seemed to be more fun than actual skeet shooting.
Been looking, pondering one myself. Just wasn't sure it would be worth the cost, glad to hear you are enjoying it. Still undecided but like the positive report.

#1,686 ·
jac63 said:
billwnr said:
Been looking, pondering one myself. Just wasn't sure it would be worth the cost, glad to hear you are enjoying it. Still undecided but like the positive report.
I think there will be something to learn once dove season opens. They don't fly the same as clays on a skeet range. I expect to see a lot of shots behind the dove.

#1,688 ·
I got out my ancient Auto 5 light 12 with an actual fixed skeet choke barrel and three boxes of Gun Club #8 light target loads and shot three games. Hadn't shot that gun in forever, but it shot very well and didn't miss a lick.

#1,690 ·
My wife an I spent yesterday car shopping. A couple weeks ago, she was rear-ended at a stop light, and her car was totaled. Here's the kicker - both vehicles were at a dead stop, waiting for the light to change. The driver behind her wasn't paying attention, and when the traffic in the left turn lane started to move, she hit the gas. She had maybe a 10 foot run before she hit my wife's car - a 2017 Chevy Malibu Hybrid. Insurance company totaled the car when damages hit $14K and were expected to continue climbing.

#1,691 ·
Shot skeet with a friend yesterday. Weather was cloudy and 70 degrees!! This time of year, weather like this is a gift!

#1,692 ·
Took my son out to shoot some informal skeet today. He brought my 20 gauge CZ Redhead Premiere w/28" barrels, and i brought my new 20 gauge Ithaca-SKB model 600 with 26" barrels. We both shot 3 rounds each and did fairly well for the first outing of the year. I really loved shooting the Ithaca/SkB. It fits me like a glove. I shot 21/25, 20/25, and 22/25. My son did a bit better at 23/25, 22/25, and 23/25. I was just happy to get out and have fun spending time with my son. Awesome day!!

Regards,
Joe

#1,694 ·
67galaxie said:
I need to decide whether or not to take my bobwhite 20 to canada this year or a 12 non double. Don't have a 12 that can shoot steel. Luuuub me some bismuth though! What do you guys think?
When I'm in a quandry as to which gun to take hunting, I take my target thrower out and see which gun I seem to shoot better. Then I decide what loads to shoot for the birds I'm hunting.

#1,697 ·
Kannoncocker said:
cdb1097 said:
45.8 miles on the Trek today.

cdb
That's great, Chuck. How's the shooting coming along?
Welllllll, if I stick to a lighter gun, I do ok, not as good as I was before my illness, I was a solid 90-95, now I am 75-85 with the Maxus. I hardly ever shoot the O/U anymore. 30.6 miles today.

cdb

#1,699 ·
Kannoncocker said:
You're still wearing me out. I've made some progress with the gun, but not to that level. And I haven't been back on the bike since the OATBRAN ride.

Look forward to Ozark Shooters and 4Bs next winter.
Almost up to 1,000 miles, and still nowhere near the 16-17 MPH average I was making before, I am lucky to maintain 15-15.5, most of the time I am in the 14.5-15.0 MPH average. Practice more :D :D :D, and get back on that bike. :D :D :D

cdb

#1,700 ·
cdb1097 said:
Kannoncocker said:
You're still wearing me out. I've made some progress with the gun, but not to that level. And I haven't been back on the bike since the OATBRAN ride.

Look forward to Ozark Shooters and 4Bs next winter.
Almost up to 1,000 miles, and still nowhere near the 16-17 MPH average I was making before, I am lucky to maintain 15-15.5, most of the time I am in the 14.5-15.0 MPH average. Practice more :D :D :D, and get back on that bike. :D :D :D

cdb
You do realize you'll be bird hunting with a bunch of old farts who keep getting slower every year, right? Even Bode, that bird dog renegade, will be a real senior citizen this year at 9 years old and working with a surgically repaired leg. I'd say you're doing just fine, or as the Duke would have said, "You'll do, pilgrim".

#1,701 ·
It's been so darn hot here in the North East, (Actual temps between 95 and 98 degree, with the heat index above 105 degrees) that I have not been able to do a thing outdoors. Night time temps in the mid 70's and very humid. It's not supposed to break until Saturday, giving us a total of 8 days over 95. And my wife wonders why I won't consider moving to Florida?

Regards,
Joe