Shotgun Forum banner

Winchester Ranger 140

20K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Rogmatt 
#1 ·
What do you folks think of this one-see m around inexpensive trap starter for wifey ??? Opinions appreciated. Shane

#2 ·
I have a 1400 which is almost the same gun. Last year one of the hunting magazines said that this was the worst gun ever made. Well that is B as in B***, S as in S***.
If this gun is kept clean, the piston after after a box or two of shells and the trigger group sprayed with gun scrubber once or twice a year and this gun will provide a lot of fun for you and your wife. Get yourself a set of instructions for cleaning and it will work fine.
Later this month I am taking mine to Iowa for the pheasant opener

#3 ·
I have a 12-gauge Model 140 Ranger that my Dad bought for me back in 1982 when I was in college. If I recall correctly, he found it on sale at a Gibson's for $130 or so.

It was my primary hunting gun for a number of years, and is now kept in Houston at a friend's house, as I am down there a lot on business and have a place to dove/duck/quail/goose hunt. Have used it on three hunts this year - performs flawlessly as long as you keep it clean and wet with Breakfree CLP.

I still have the original slip-on recoil pad I bought after I got it to add to the LOP. My father always has thought I shot this gun well, and I now know enough to realize that the slip-on pad makes the gun fit me as well as one could ask for.

Anybody have any thoughts on using steel in this gun? I will be using non-tox for waterfowl, but would not mind having the option just in case.

#4 ·
I had a 12 gauge 140 Ranger (used) I picked up at a Maine gunshow in the early 90's for $120.00. My Buddy bought a used Mossberg 500 for $135.00 at the same show. Although I love Winchester's (the good ones, like my 1886 .33 lever action), this Ranger didn't impress me. I thought it appeared cheap not very durable, although it never failed in what little shooting I did with it. I ditched it at another show, swapping it and $125.00 for a Sig .380 ACP SS pistol. I then bought my buddy's Mossberg off him, and still have it, as it is a VERY strong, rugged gun. I don't think the Ranger 140 is Worthy of the Winchester name, but they have to compete for a likewise low end market againt Remington and Mossberg.

#5 ·
I just won a Win.mod.140 on Gunbroker for $129.00. Cant wait to get it,go over it,if ok,shoot it and take it hunting....then I'll let the wife shoot it for trap. I hope this is a worthy deal. Opinions still appreciated though. Shane

#6 ·
I had a 1400 MKII that I could kick myself for getting rid of. It fit me very well, was light, and was one of the best looking ones I have seen. That is until someone posted some pictures of one that they refinished on this website. I can't remember the post, search 1400? For some reason mine dodn't like low powered shells (ie. you usually couldn't borrow any from your tightwad friend on a dove hunt. He only shoots the cheap stuff form his ugly A#% Nova!) But I digress. I have seen the Rager and I think it is a cheapened version of the 1400's. I remember a few plastic parts that were metal on the 1400.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.