ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MEC 9000H 28ga light shot drop
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Seeking ideas on the best way to increase the shot drop on a MEC 9000H loading 8-8.5s from .701 to .750 oz. (20 BBs.). Bottle loaded about 1/3.
I checked 4 drops on a new machine and all weighed in at .701 oz.

H

Why?
Why not.

Post subject: Re: MEC 9000H 28ga light shot drop
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:04 pm 

You are probably using Mag shot which is lighter per unit volume than pure lead or even chilled shot. Your current best option is to enlarge the shot drop chamber on your press.. The easiest and fastest method available to the average person is to start working on the hole with a chainsaw file gradually filing and weighing shot, repeating as required. When filing a bar, file from the bottom side and try to not tear up the rubber mushroom on the upper side of the bar.
If you have a way to machine the bar, a size around 0.534 will be fairly close, or close enough to file to get a true drop for the shot that you have when testing. The drops are subject to vary per each sample/batch of shot that you have bought.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Curly....I guess I miss school the day 'shot physics' was taught. Thanks also for ideas on increasing the shot weight. I'll leave things as they are now base on what I have learned.
H

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:06 am 
Presentation Grade

I find that the easiest tool to open up the bar is a tapered hand reamer, as Curly said work from the bottom.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

OK thanks...this tool has my interest. I'll give it a try.
H

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

icyclefar wrote:
I find that the easiest tool to open up the bar is a tapered hand reamer, as Curly said work from the bottom.

And go slow. I ruined a .410 bar in my haste.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A little more trouble, but I have a bar that someone modified to take powder bushings. It works pretty well

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:50 am 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:
A little more trouble, but I have a bar that someone modified to take powder bushings. It works pretty well

They do at that, either make it yourself or they are for sale on EBay.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:15 am 
Presentation Grade

One caveat; on the smaller bores, things fill up fast. Depending on your powder and wad selection, those little hulls can get full to the point of not holding a crimp or buckling if you increase volume too much. Had it happen on 410. Dense powder helps.
bc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:35 am 

ebcjr wrote:
One caveat; on the smaller bores, things fill up fast. Depending on your powder and wad selection, those little hulls can get full to the point of not holding a crimp or buckling if you increase volume too much. Had it happen on 410. Dense powder helps.
bc

WC-820 was great for that usage, too bad I can't find it anymore. Stuff was dense and a bunch of perfect little bitty spheres.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:46 am 
Presentation Grade

I used a multiscale bar on the 28 and got close to .750 ounce with no problems. I use Longshot (also dense) and AAHS type wad. The bar kept binding so I switched back to factory. Will hone someday.
bc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:58 am 

ebcjr wrote:
I used a multiscale bar on the 28 and got close to .750 ounce with no problems. I use Longshot (also dense) and AAHS type wad. The bar kept binding so I switched back to factory. Will hone someday.
bc

That sliding chamber wall on the UCB will allow extremely fine powder to drool on the bottom side of the bar. This can lead to binding as well as powder loss. Pretty sure that some of that loss can go in any direction and might work its way into the powder drops as well. This is not good for those seeking perfect drops.

Mark Twain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:18 am 
Presentation Grade

Correct. I also observed some shot trapping under the rubber mushroom (even with 7.5s and 12 ga with 700x). This was the greater problem. The MS stuff never seemed as smooth or well machined as the MEC bars. Traded perfection for smooth operation.
bc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Curly N wrote:
You are probably using Mag shot which is lighter per unit volume than pure lead or even chilled shot. Your current best option is to enlarge the shot drop chamber on your press.. The easiest and fastest method available to the average person is to start working on the hole with a chainsaw file gradually filing and weighing shot, repeating as required. When filing a bar, file from the bottom side and try to not tear up the rubber mushroom on the upper side of the bar.
If you have a way to machine the bar, a size around 0.534 will be fairly close, or close enough to file to get a true drop for the shot that you have when testing. The drops are subject to vary per each sample/batch of shot that you have bought.

You had me going when you said chain saw until read a little more