CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anybody load with a Dillion Press
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:07 am 
Field Grade

I have Dillion for pistol reloading and know they make a shotshell reloading press as well. If it worth the money or should I stick with a MEC?

Michael

Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more.

Post subject: Re: Anybody load with a Dillion Press
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Stick with MECs.

The Dillon metallic presses are excellent but many, many folks who have tried the shotshell press says they're over-engineered junk.

Never used one myself, but I'm taking their word for it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:32 am 
Presentation Grade

I've noticed that some people seem to have a lot of problems with the Dillon and have no explanation for that except that some people seem to have a lot of problems with any mechanical object.

I've owned the SL900 since they first came out and I've had no problems other than initial setup for my particular load, and these were caused by me as I didn't read the manual.

I also have the 9000G MEC and have had the same experiences with it as I had with the Dillon, except the Dillon is considerably faster than the MEC.

On the other hand, the 9000G is used for 20Ga. and the Dillon for 12Ga., which I use a lot more of.

Ka6otm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:37 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

I'm not enamored with the SL 900, and I don't generally have much problem with setting up and running reloading presses.

I currently have two 12 gauge Grabbers, one 12 gauge Grand, one 20 gauge 9000G, one 28 gauge Hornady 366, one .410 bore Spolar, and one Sizemaster for each. I use the Sizemasters for hunting loads and experimental loads.

I also have two Dillon 550s set up, one for small primer and one for large primer. I use these mainly for my handgun loading (45 ACP, 44 mag,, 44 special, 38 special, & 357 mag.) with an occasional loading of .223 Rem. and 280 Rem.

The rest of my metallic loading is done on a pair of Rockchuckers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have two friends with the Dillons and both are very happy. one had to use Dillons customer service because he bought it used, he was very satisfied with thier service.

I would have bought one except they dont have dies for .410 and i only have space for one loader.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:22 am 
Tournament Grade

I bought one about two years ago. Love it. I load 12 and 28 on it. No complaints other than 410 isnt an option.

I can load about 700-800 rounds an hour of 12 and 500 of 28.

No bushings to deal with either.

The SL900 actually built on a 650 frame.

I have toyed with the idea of a PW with a casefeeder, but the casefeeder wont work with anything but 12.

A few friends tell me that my bench looks like the Dillon showroom. Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:15 am 
Presentation Grade

Actually, it does kinda look like the showroom in Scottsdale...

Ka6otm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

Stick with MEC. Any of the MEC models have 1/3 of the parts the dillon has.
If you must spend more money buy a P/W

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:47 am 
Field Grade

People defend what they have. More people have MECs so...

I have both

MEC = Chevy Cavalier
Dillon = any BMW

Over engineered. Absolutely not. I don't see anything extraneous on the machine.

POS. Absolutely not (there are a few cheesy parts). The BMW reference is all too fitting. Excellent cars with some quirks/flaws. Dillons are awesome machines with some quirks/flaws.

I am extremely familiar with the Mec 9000 series. They suck royally (though they do work, sort of kinda most of the time).

//Warning rude statement ahead!!!!
The Dillon is easily a much much better machine. Anybody who says otherwise is an idiot.

Faster.
Easier to operate (less effort required).
The auto indexing works much better.
Things stay in adjustment.
The shell feeder is fabulous (doesn't like squished shells).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

[quote="atblis"]. Anybody who says otherwise is an idiot.

[quote]

Sounds like someone that just figured out they spent too much money on a Dillon Shotshell loader

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

atblis wrote:
The Dillon is easily a much much better machine.

It sure as hell ought to be at twice the price of a 9000G -- and considerably more with the hull feeder, basically a frill.

Quote:
Dillons are awesome machines with some quirks/flaws.

You're quick to list what you consider its good points -- why not list those "quirks/flaws" just to balance things out?

I have nothing against Dillon's presses and own two Square Deal Bs, which are very reliable and efficient at cranking out massive amounts of handgun ammo. And Dillon's customer support is unbeatable.

The fact is, the majority of reloaders have absolutely no need for an $844.90 shotshell press when they can get a press for $329.99, including shipping, that will crank out 700-800 rounds of 12 or 20 gauge an hour with perfectly acceptable reliability.

I'll concede that the 9000G doesn't handle 28 gauge and .410 well, but the Grabber does and for even less financial outlay.

And the SL900 doesn't do .410s at all.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:07 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Case wrote:
I have nothing against Dillon's presses and own two Square Deal Bs, which are very reliable and efficient at cranking out massive amounts of handgun ammo.

Yep. I have two 550s set up, and they have been great machines.

Case wrote:
And Dillon's customer support is unbeatable.

And I think the very best customer service is that which one doesn't need.

Speaking of customer service, I've had to contact RCBS four or five times now for this or that for the Grand. Their customer service is great, and they have shipped several small part items without charging me a single cent. Still I would much rather not to need to call them to get this or that.

When I had the SL 900, Dillon's customer service was great, too. And believe me I needed it until I became so frustrated with it that I traded it off for something that worked regularly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:36 am 
Field Grade

Actually, I bought mine used for less than a new MEC9000. I bought a whole garage full of stuff at once. Knowing what I know now, I would still go out and buy one at full price. If you reload the amount that I do, an extra $500 bucks is worth it for what you get.

I am extremely familiar with the MECs. I am in charge of our shooting team's reloading, and we use 7 MECs 9000s. The MEC is a decent machine, but there's no comparison to the Dillon.

Dillon Quirks

The part that slides the in next hull after it has been fed by the case feeder is spring loaded. If the spring gets weak, the slide gets dirty, etc., it doesn't slide it in all the way, and the hull gets mangled by the resizer. Easily fixable though. New spring, some rubbing alcohol, dry lube, and no more problems.

And now the quirkiest part of the machine. It isn't a problem with 12 gauge but for the smaller gauges... The tip out wad guide can be annoying. If the petals aren't straight on a wad, it can be a pain in the but to get it to line up. 12 gauge isn't a problem, but with the smaller gauges it can be annoying. 20 gauge is manageable, but I wouldn't want to do anything smaller. The position for in and out is adjustable, but towards and away is not. If there were another adjustment screw on the wad guide, it would be perfect.

If the primer feeder tray gets dusty, it gets a little persnicketty. Again easily fixable with some rubbing alcohol. Otherwise the primer feeder is awesome and absolutely superior to the MEC.

The case feeder works much much better than I thought it would. It however does not like squished shells. They get stuck in the drop tube. It is a good ideal to sort your hulls before reloading (someting you should do anyways).

That's about it for quirks.

Cheesy plastic parts.
There's some part of the indexing system with spring that attaches to a plastic tab. The tab broke once on me, and in my opinion appears prone to breakage.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm sure Mike Dillon is working to correct those petty annoyances -- if he can find enough time between forays into the desert to shoot down imaginary airplanes with his mobile .50 caliber antiaircraft gun.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:54 am 
Tournament Grade

I get Dillon stuff for dealer, do I saved $100 right off the bat. If you dont order the casefeeder, that about another $150 off.

Things I dont like.

The casefeeder doesent quite hold 100 rounds of 12. I just have to remember to add hulls after 50 or so. Not a huge deal. Holds plenty of 20 and 28. Add hulls, powder and primers at the 100 mark.

The casefeeder wont feed squished hulls. I rarely shoot autos so thats not much of a deal.

Loading the 20 and 28 you have to go slower to make sure the wad guide fingers get in the case. Not a huge deal. More operator error than machine error.

Not avail in 410, yet.

What I like.

Changing gauges takes maybe 10 minutes. No powder or shot bushings.

25 pounds of shot in the hopper. And its about the size of a coffee can. No struggling to get the shot in a hole the size of a quarter.

Primer tray holds 200 primers.

If no wad is inserted, no shot is thrown.

If no hull is there, no shot is thrown.

If no hull is there, no powder is thrown.

The powder measure and shot measure are part of the toolhead. All your settings stay with the toolhead. Just recheck them and off to the races.

I drop off my machines at the factory once a year for a checkup. They clean and adjust them, fix worn or broken stuff and ship them back to me on their dime. Two 1050s, a 900 and a 550.

Whats the funniest to me is when people say they are too expensive. The same people that don’t blink at $100 hockey or football tickets, buying rounds for the whole bar, think Glenfiddich is on the cheap side of single malt, ect.

I have always said just cry once when it comes to reloading and guns. Those are the two pieces of the puzzle I can control. I might as well be good to my sanity.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:10 pm 
Field Grade

Exactly!!!!

My sanity is worth the money.

I loaded 1500 shells on my Dillon last night (3 5 gallon buckets full).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:31 am 
Tournament Grade

Those who know, I mean, REALLY know, shotshell presses, know that there is Spolar, and then there is everything else.

Now, having said that, I own a veritable Dillon showroom my self. I don't own a Spolar. A Cadillac was good enough for me, I don't need to pay the price of admission to get into the Rolls Royce owners club.....oops, I mean Spolar owners club.

Current stable: SL900 in 12ga.; XL 650 in 6 pistol calibers, RL550B in 1 rifle caliber, and (2) Square Deal B, also in 6 pistol calibers, plus a Forster Co-Ax, and an RCBS Rockchucker from roughly 1965.

Good points of the Dillon; fast, reliable, dependable, and CONSISTENT. Not so good points of the Dillon; I can't think of any at the moment, but it'll come to me. Powder flakes from hulls come to mind....I use Clays from Hodgdon.

Some ideas to improve your Dillon SL900 experience: powdered graphite on the primer tray, just squirt some under the tray lid, works great. No powdered graphite? Take it apart, clean it with rubbing alcohol, and dry it. Then wax with paste car wax, and buff dry. Increase the size of your powder measure, so it'll hold a lb. rather than 6 oz. Make sure the case feed tube is straight up and down, and has a bevel on the top end.

What's that, you say? You didn't get the case feeder with the Dillon? Box the whole thing up and send it back to Dillon, and get your money back; you have no business with this press, if you don't get the case feeder. Go buy a MEC.

The case feeder holds 80 hulls, according to Dillon's literature. I bag my hulls in 100 round baggies, and they feed just fine. If I try to cram more in, they just fall over the side.

Keep LOTS of primers, powder and shot; it goes thru them at such a ridiculous rate that it's easy to lose track of time, and components. Loading up shells with no powder or shot gets embarrassing on the firing line, let me tell you.

You can bevel (very slightly!!!!) the TOP of the primer drop tube if you don't know how to adjust it properly, to help primers fall; but really, if you do not have the mechanical aptitude to figure out how to adjust the primer feeder, then you should pack it up and send it back, and get a refund.

I loaded 21000+ shells in 11 months last year on my SL900, and not one of them failed to go bang. I could not say that about my prior shells loaded on a P-W.

I know quite a bit about the Dillon, and I have greater than average mechanical ability, including training as a mechanical engineer and architect/draftsman. I can figure things out, and tinker with them to make them work properly if they don't.

If you can't do this, in the cold light of the truth, then this, or any other progressive press, is not for you. You'll just end up getting frustrated, and then distracted, and load some bad shells. I do not want to be standing next to you on the trap line when your gun explodes.

99% of the time, the people on either side of me shoot MY reloads, so I am confident THEIR guns will not explode.

I know this sounds like a diatribe about the skills necessary to reload good safe shells, and in some way, it is. On the other hand, if you don't know what you are doing, and do not have the patience to figure it out, you have no business reloading anyway.

Johnjohn in SoCal.

Trap Shooting: Ready? FIRE!....what's "Aim"?