Shotgun Forum banner

Federal Tactical 00 (WITH PICS) new flight control wad

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  soonerpgh 
#1 ·
I ordered 100 rounds of this reduced recoil law enforcement buckshot and recieved two different lots. one was "regular" style and the other had a sticker on it proclaiming the "new" wad technology.

If you order any, don't just click and buy, make sure you call it in and tell them to not even mix any of the regular kind into the order.
The better flight control ammo is shown on the top with a smooth dark red hull and lower brass.

The new flight control wad is that much better. The wad holds the pellets in a group for about the 1st 8-10 yards and groups more than twice as tight as the regular Fed Tact. buckshot. recoil and audible report was lighter than hunting grade buckshot.

18 inch MOD barrel made fist sized groups at 15 yds and 9 inch group at 25 with one flyer up high. still all pellets well within human silouette.

18" cyl barrel choke did not matter..the wad holds it on the way out, but I think the cyl barrel was putting up the tightest groupings up close..need more shots to verify at range. I ran out of the new wad ammo and had to stop. 10 yd cyl barrel was a big slug hole in essence.

the regular older style was disappointing after trying the new ammo. It is still light years ahead of winchester hunting buckshot as far as grouping goes. the choke helped a good bit with that.

Long story short: flight control wad spread at 25 yds = regular fed tact spread at 15 yds. out of short cyl bbl guns.

BOTH targets are with good new wad federal ammo. NOT shown is a 15 yd shot with the 'old' tactical 00 buck that looks just like the 25 shot shown here. choke had little effect on overall shot spread since it is in the wad as it comes out.

Vang Comp dea tests with federal ammo- I wonder if it is the gun or the ammo- looks just like mine.

See less See more
#4 ·
The new wad is not the only difference in the two types of tactical LE 132 buckshot. The shot in the new round is also copper plated which helps in controlling pellet deformation. There are also some other loads in the LE line that are available - one is full power and another is 8 pellet reduced which is supposed to have less recoil that the LE 132 reduced recoil load. LE 127 is the number for the full power 9 pellet load. The same load is available in the Federal Premium line with the flite control wad and copper plated pellets - 9 pellet. The full power LE 127 will have the high brass base of the original LE 132. Hope this info helps. You can check these rounds out on the Federal website under Law Enforcement and under the premium brand of ammo.

#5 ·
good to know..I saw some of those part numbers from different suppliers and didn't have the secret decoder key.

all of mine are marked LE 132, but some have the sticker on them (see pics above). there was also mention of federal getting the rights to make shot like some other specialty LE ammo company was making. this is mentioned on impact guns website under ammo.
http://www.impactguns.com/store/LE132009.html

if it is available thru the premium line, then I'd just buy that as well.

#6 ·
It is still light years ahead of winchester hunting buckshot as far as grouping goes. the choke helped a good bit with that.
Are you saying that Winchester Buckshot typically does not pattern well? How does it compare with the new Federal stuff?

#7 ·
NovaPump said:
It is still light years ahead of winchester hunting buckshot as far as grouping goes. the choke helped a good bit with that.
Are you saying that Winchester Buckshot typically does not pattern well? How does it compare with the new Federal stuff?
the winchester supreme 00 buck is fantastically powerful at 1450 fps, but it has no special mechanism for tight grouping. this is for deer and varmint blasting. technically, it patterned well..just not tightly.

Notice that the MOD choke tightened up the group maybe 2-3 inches, but it wasn't too impressive even with the choke. I shot some S&B #4 buck 21 pellet out of the same mod choke 870 and it grouped as good or better than that winny and that junk doesn't even have a buffer material between the shot.

#8 ·
How tight do you want to have your pattern? I suppose if you have it too tight then it eliminates the advantage that a shotgun has over a rifle.

#9 ·
NovaPump said:
How tight do you want to have your pattern? I suppose if you have it too tight then it eliminates the advantage that a shotgun has over a rifle.
Personally, as tight as the police want their groups (ala the federal tactical ammo). The winchester and to a lesser extent the remington buffered copper plated buck...maybe 15 yds max range for self defense. I like the 25+ yd capability of the specialty ammo.

to me a shot gun is a city rifle substitute since a .308 will go through about 14 houses if it doesn't hit metal. not to mention hunting and sporting clays can be fun when you aren't waiting for the dawn of the dead zombies or the local youth group to rob your house.

Along those lines, I have a 28 inch auto loading shotgun with a chrome lined barrel that will pattern that winchester buck a little nicer than what I have shown here. I fully believe a long sporting gun could get the job done if you were content to own one do it all shotgun.

#11 ·
And to think I was about to dump the photo links to these buckshot test posts... I have tried a lot of different loads..bottom line is that you are launching 9-32 cal pellets at once.

the regular stuff spreads a bit, use it if you want it to do that. What I like about the special shotcup varieties is that you can trick the short CYL barrels into acting like 28" mod choked barrels. Kind of like notching the hulls with a knife and shooting out the whole mess to act like a slug, but not so extreme.

but anyways, I just put up the photos to show what distances 18 inch bbls are good for. I wouldn't bother using tactical buckshot in anything with a choke, I got various spreads with various ammo. if you want a good middle of the road works in any gun type of load, I would suggest winchester Ranger buckshot- which was shown in one of my other posts, but I have to say it patterned evenly and held tight with a good choke or spread a decent bit without one.

#12 ·
mike... thanks for all your work on posting pics and results on the LE132... i did a post a while back on the same stuff and ever since then it's been my front line choice... but the secret numbers is a huge help... i haven't checked recently but midwayusa had a "coming soon" tab on the flight control item on their website... awesome stuff

#14 ·
i don't think you could ever say that van comp was for nothing... if anything, IMO, it would take great ammo and make it perform even better... if not for the cost which is a bit steep at the moment, but worthwhile IMO, i would have Vanged my rem's a while back. relax. :lol:

#15 ·
I have seen and heard enough good things on the vang regarding regular loads, but in this case, the federal ammo (and similar TAP ammo) does all the work with the deep shotcup.

I would like to pattern a vang using some cheap buck and birdshot one of these days. A guy at the local idpa shoot has one, I'll try to get a hold of it and attack some target frames from 12 yards or so.

#16 ·
cool... lookin forward to that... any combo of better ammo and hardware would make me happy...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.