Shotgun Forum banner

H&R Excel Auto 5 shotgun

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dawei 
#1 ·
Are these things any good? Why do they call them an Auto 5? Do they have anything in common with the Browning? I'm thinking about a decent fairly cheap semi or over/under for waterfowl and turkey. Should I buy something like this or a Stoeger or Baikal MP 153, or should I try to find something more mainstream that is used. I don't know much about over/unders, are they decent for ducks and turkey? Some guys I know say that they are cumbersome in a duck blind. I've been duck hunting since way before lead was illegal, but turkey are new here (third year for a season). I would like something that is good for both. I currently have an Express 870 that was a gift after my trusty Stevens 820B gave out (I loved that gun). I have never really liked the Express and am thinking of trading. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks boys,
Swamphunter

#2 ·
swamphunter

Let me start by saying I am no expert and there are others here with far more knowledge and experience than I have.

I have not shot the H & R Excel but have read a review of this firearm in Outdoor Life (June/July 2005). I would recommend reviewing the article if no one else responds with any other information.

In general the article stated the test team rated the H & R Excel as Very good workmanship, Very good performance, and excellent in price/value. The chief complaint was the bolt release.

All of that being said, from my personal experience you may want to consider a more common firearm. I learned when I bought the Mossberg Silver Reserve. It was a nice entry level gun but it was not long before I was thinking about something else. That is when things started going down hill. Without getting into to much detail I ended up trading the shotgun in and am now looking at going with something else. The imports do not retain any real value and if you have a problem it is a pain to get it taken care of (in my limited experience).

The price I have seen on the H&R is around $461. I have seen Remington 11-87 at Gander and other places for just a little higher. Just something you may want to consider.

I am sorry I can not offer any information about hunting because I do not hunt (not against hunting just do not have the skills). Over and Under shotguns tend to be heavier in general and more expensive (even among the imports).

What ever you decide I hope it works well for you and good shooting.

#4 ·
Thank you both for your replies. I value your opinions and input, and am glad someone replied to my question(s). I will try to find the review in Outdoor Life. What do you think of the Mossberg 935? I have heard (read) that Mossberg is very good for customer service.

Thanks again,
Swamphunter

#5 ·
swamphunter

The Mossberg 935 is designed more for 3.5 shells than the 2.75. As I said before I am not a hunter but to my understanding the 3.5 shells are primarily used for geese. I am guessing it would be ok for turkey and ducks but I am not sure if it is ideal. You may want to check out the Mossberg forum as I think you will come across more people who have experience with them there. I have heard but have not seen that Mossberg has a shotgun (Model 930) that is designed more for firing the 2.75 and 3" shells.

The problem with an auto designed to fire the 3.5 shells is they tend to have difficulty cycling the lighter loads. The lighter loads just do not have enough energy. It may work great for you but there is a good chance it will not.

You are right about one thing though. Mossberg is supposed to have good customer service. I have not heard or read a bad thing about them, but I have no personal experience with them.

Please understand I am not discounting your choice, I just want to be sure you know as much of the good and bad as possible.

Whatever your choice. Enjoy shooting whatever you buy.

#6 ·
swamphunter said:
Are these things any good? Why do they call them an Auto 5? Do they have anything in common with the Browning? I'm thinking about a decent fairly cheap semi or over/under for waterfowl and turkey. Should I buy something like this or a Stoeger or Baikal MP 153, or should I try to find something more mainstream that is used. I don't know much about over/unders, are they decent for ducks and turkey? Some guys I know say that they are cumbersome in a duck blind. I've been duck hunting since way before lead was illegal, but turkey are new here (third year for a season). I would like something that is good for both. I currently have an Express 870 that was a gift after my trusty Stevens 820B gave out (I loved that gun). I have never really liked the Express and am thinking of trading. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks boys,
Swamphunter
Just my $.02 but why buy a cheap/inexpensive semi auto or O/U? :shock: :? For the $$$ spent on one of those you could buy a top-of-the-line pump gun.:mrgreen: Pumps are infinitely more reliable than a semi-auto IMHO; 2¾", 3", or 3½" shells will cause zero cycling problems. I understand your frustration with the Remington® 870 Express as I'm a southpaw shooter. Why don't you look at one of these:

http://www.mossberg.com/model535.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.